Thread: Questions before I decide to switch

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Questions before I decide to switch

Currently on Verizon post pay single 5Gb/mo. With my company discount it comes out to about $57/mo. I just paid off my S9+ and am thinking about switching over to prepaid. So I have one question I need clarified, then just basic suggestions.

1. On prepaid, will I have access to Visual Voicemail on my S9+ ?
    2. What is the current go to plan that will keep me around $50 and give me more data?
    3 Anything else y'all wanna throw at me?

Appreciate it!

EDIT**

BTW, any info on the best way/how to is appreciated. Thx.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a Note9 and I get the vm icon on my notification bar if that is what you mean.

Popular plan now is the 7gb and they give you 8gb bonus. Refill cards do not have expiration date once loaded to the account as credit. No carryover data for previous month's not used data. Hotspot included.

Get cheap refill cards from ebay to save money. Load the cards and set up autopay to save $5.00 as long as you have more than the $50.00/month in payment credits on the account.

Ian B

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes. I am on the 8GB + 7GB (15GB) for life plan. Which is $45 with auto-pay enabled. With the discounted refill pins I've been getting, I pay no more than $27 a month for that 15GB plan.

No idea about visual voicemail. I never used it when I was on postpaid, and I've never looked for it on prepaid.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by pahick View Post
    Currently on Verizon post pay single 5Gb/mo. With my company discount it comes out to about $57/mo. I just paid off my S9+ and am thinking about switching over to prepaid. So I have one question I need clarified, then just basic suggestions.

1. On prepaid, will I have access to Visual Voicemail on my S9+ ?
    2. What is the current go to plan that will keep me around $50 and give me more data?

Appreciate it!

EDIT**

BTW, any info on the best way/how to is appreciated. Thx.
    1.Visual voicemail? no.
    2.The 15 GB( 8 GB + 7 GB bonus ) $45 with autopay. get it before April 30th
    3. You are on the 2nd tier of prioroity. So if you area is congested you'll feel it first before your old plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus & Selectel (Verizon MVNOs)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by pahick View Post
    Currently on Verizon post pay single 5Gb/mo.

Look at Verizon Visible. Several I know are very happy.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    Look at Verizon Visible. Several I know are very happy.
    I believe Verizon Visible caps speed at 5Mbps

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mightynimbus View Post
    I believe Verizon Visible caps speed at 5 Mbps
    That is what they advertise. Video is limited to 480p. Audio is limited to 500 kbps. They also allow tethering as I understand it.

I've used the internet with 2400 bps modems ... and my home is on 12 Mbps DSL with some dozen connected devices ... would someone explain what, outside of video streaming and file downloading, gains from speeds over 5 Mbps? In my old fuzzy mind, I don't understand the want, much less the need.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That is what they advertise. Video is limited to 480p. Audio is limited to 500 kbps. They also allow tethering as I understand it.

I've used the internet with 2400 bps modems ... and my home is on 12 Mbps DSL with some dozen connected devices ... would someone explain what, outside of video streaming and file downloading, gains from speeds over 5 Mbps? In my old fuzzy mind, I don't understand the want, much less the need.
    Haha, I don't disagree, I feel like I can do anything I need to with 3Meg or more, even at 1-2 I'm not really seeing any issues.
    But I know plenty of people that just strive for a higher number, a bit like getting the fasted PC processor when all you do is surf and spreadsheets

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ...would someone explain what, outside of video streaming and file downloading, gains from speeds over 5 Mbps? In my old fuzzy mind, I don't understand the want, much less the need.
    It's irrational human behavior. It's faster so it must be better and they will have bragging rights.

I had 1 Mbps cable for years. It was ok, but not optimum. Then cable upped their minimum to 5 Mbps, then 15 Mbps. We now have 50 Mbps FIOS. Aside from Video streaming, I don't notice any difference from 5 to 50.

On mobile data, higher speed means that they can service more users before the cell sector becomes congested. That is good and useful.

I saw something from AT&T recently saying that half of their wireless network traffic is video streaming. The network needs to be built to accommodate that. Video streaming is only going to increase.

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Just take a look at the most popular posts from the big four primary providers on this forum - speed test posts.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Just take a look at the most popular posts from the big four primary providers on this forum - speed test posts.
    Yes. In my OPINION, way over 95% of it is "Mine is bigger than yours". But that other 5% matters too, just not to me.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Capped service like Visible is not "no big deal" - it sucks.

I understand you're picturing it like "I don't even download big files, I just do light web browsing. why would 5Mb vs 50Mb matter to me?"

Having had Aio/Cricket for years and then switching to an uncapped service, let me tell you it's dramatic. Not only are you capped but you also just have laggy performance. Imagine this: you type a website in while out and about because you need some information quickly. Or an address to navigate to. On Cricket or Visible, the next step is, you see that little spinning indicator for like 5, 10 seconds. Then finally it starts to load. On an uncapped service you actually get it starting to load faster, and finishing loading faster too. The reason why this is, is these capped carriers actually use a few proxy servers located around the country to route all your traffic through (that's how they cap you, because the service itself isn't actually that slow). These servers can be overloaded at times, and your traffic has to detour through them always, taking longer. Overall it's a terrible experience. With my service for 2 lines costing me less than $50 I would never think of going back. Visible would be more expensive and it will suck.

As for visual voice mail I have an iPhone and my VV works perfectly. I don't see why they would withhold the Samsung or Android version of it when they have the Apple version. They sell both directly, after all! I'd just try it out and see. You could always activate a new line and then if it works out, then activate a port-in.

I ordered an SIM on eBay - PM if you want the link - from a seller who will activate your SIM (you call after it arrives) with 1 month of service. It's the 8GB plan with double (so 16GB) data. Cost me like $24 or something which covered the SIM and the first month of the "$50" plan.
    ----------------------
    "When I was your age, my cellphone had no games besides extending and retracting the antenna"

"Big 4" carriers bucket list: ☑️ Verizon ☑️ AT&T ☑️ T-Mobile ☑️ Sprint
    I've tried them all.