Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Account Login from PIN to Password

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Account Login from PIN to Password

Wow finally! The OLAM for AT&T Prepaid now uses a password instead of your PIN. It says the PIN is now only used when you call into customer service.

If you currently login with a PIN, the next time you login, it will prompt you to switch to a password.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Excellent! ...or so I thought. I just get a System Error page when I login.
    Durham, NC

Device(s)
    iPhone SE & 5S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    This is fantastic!!

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Yet the new password _must begin with a capital letter_ ? Maybe that's worded wrong, my first attempt did not have any capitals in it at all, yet second did and it took. You sure see some weird password rules these days that questionably make for more secure systems.

Of course almost anything is better and welcomed than a strictly 4-digit PIN, but could they have used more fully modern and normal rules. Special symbols or characters are also not required. Add ability for 2FA perhaps... I don't think I remember that option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nord0296 View Post
    Yet the new password _must begin with a capital letter_ ?
    If you click on the "?" next to "New password" on the password reset screen, it'll show you the hoops you need to jump through when generating a new password.

As an aside, it looks like AT&T has seen the AT&T Prepaid wishlist here and is checking the items off one-by-one: VoLTE? Check. Real passwords? Check. Maybe we'll get better plan switching in the OLAM soon.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    If you click on the "?" next to "New password" on the password reset screen, it'll show you the hoops you need to jump through when generating a new password.
    I got it - I was more curious how they come up with their odd rules. I think many times the "types of character" rules are intended to be more secure because they force more variety and hope to enhance brute force or dictionary style attacks. In reality, forcing the first character to be an upper case letter limits to ~26 possible characters which is not much of a security rule.

If rules are known and somewhat specific (like this), then it kind of defeats the purpose of having such rules. Again, a 4-digit numeric PIN is still obviously far less secure.

I almost added "I wish there were better password / login security standards" for them to apply here... but there really are many good standards. Unfortunately I think so many sites and companies end up with their own rules. Maybe its due to internal system limitations more than a lack of understanding / intent, maybe not.

Device(s)
    H910 (AT&T V20)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PREPAID
    Feedback Score
    A long phrase is a very strong password. It doesn't have to look like aCZ!y2OBRly6 to be secure.

I am glad they finally got rid of the 4 digits.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Pleasantly surprised when I tried to log in a couple minutes ago, set it up and all is good.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Still not working for me.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    This is great news! The 4 digit pin has always been an issue. Surprised they don't allow special characters though.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hate this. Let me decide how "secure" i want my password to be.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've still been unable to login to even change my PIN to a password. System Error.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsoul1 View Post
    Hate this. Let me decide how "secure" i want my password to be.
    You being unsecure with your passwords costs ATT $. If someone logs into your account and authorizes your phone number to be switched to another carrier, guess who pays for all the man hours necessary to get your number back... Yup ATT

So... If you are using ATT services, guess who gets to choose how secure the password is? Yup... ATT does.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nord0296 View Post
    In reality, forcing the first character to be an upper case letter limits to ~26 possible characters which is not much of a security rule.

If rules are known and somewhat specific (like this), then it kind of defeats the purpose of having such rules. Again, a 4-digit numeric PIN is still obviously far less secure.
    TBH, talking about it here doesn't help. If you don't have an AT&T Prepaid account then you normally wouldn't know about the capital-first-letter thing since you'd have to have an AT&T Prepaid phone number to even get to the create a password prompt and that help bubble.

Unless you hear about it someplace else, like ... here. The first rule of Fight Club? You do not talk about Fight Club.

Feedback Score
    I'm happy with this. It wouldn't take anyone long to figure out the 4 digit passcode that was previously used and now, this makes it much harder. Some thieves would do anything to be able to steal someones account info/phone number.

As someone who's had my identity used before to create an account on Verizon, I fully understand the reasons behind this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast