Thread: FreedomPop free plan contact customer service message?

Device(s)
    Current Phone: Nokia N9 Past:Nokia 6651,Nokia 7210
    Carrier(s)
    Currently: at&t
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

FreedomPop free plan contact customer service message?

I'm on the free 250MB plan with auto top up turned off and a $5 balance, long story short last month rather than stopping at 250MB, I went over by 14MB and ended up using 164MB. When my plan renewed this month, a message appeared at the top of my account page stating "Alert: Your FreedomPop service is inactive due to an unforeseen technical issue. Please Click here to contact customer service. "

The issue is that I have no way of contacting customer service without paying for premium service it seems(?) Clicking the link sends me to a contact customer service page, but when I try to send a message, it says you're not a paying member and sends me to the forum pages. I tried several 800 numbers found around the web, but they all state you need to pay for premium service to speak to a customer service rep.

I've read waiting till the next billing cycle or adding more money to my balance can fix overage issues. But considering I have a 360 day/1GB SIM waiting to activate, I'm considering just cancelling this account and losing $5 rather than spend more money if waiting till next month won't fix this issue. But I thought I'd ask the community on any recommendations prior to doing that. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I've contacted FP support in three ways.
    1. Twitter DM
    2. Facebook PM
    3. SlickDeals PM

All 3 have worked well for me, however, I'm not sure how active FP is on SD recently, so try # 1 and 2 first.

Feedback Score
    I find Twitter DM's work well.

They seem to freeze accounts for no particular reason. It's annoying but I can't complain about a free service ...

Feedback Score
    The best way to contact FreedomPop if you are on the free plan is to send them a direct message via their twitter support channel. If you don't already have a twitter account, you'll need to set one up. It's free, and all you need is an email address to register with twitter. FP will typically respond in a day or two and will reset your account so it works again.
    What you are experiencing is a "bug". I think it is not being "fixed" because it makes the free plan harder to use. Unfortunately, it also also effects any paid plan. Here's what happens: you've disabled auto-top-up, so your data is supposed to turn off at the limit (i.e. 250mb), but by the time it gets turned off, you've gone a little over. They can't charge you for the overage because you've turned off auto-top-up, but your account shows a small balance due, and so it won't automatically reset and work on the next cycle (like it should) until that "balance due" is manually cleared. So support will respond that you have a small balance due because you went over your limit (they don't say it's not your fault though), but as a courtesy, they will remove it this one time, and you need to reset your phone and it will work again. It is a pain in the rear if this happens every cycle, and I'm guessing they hope people will change to a higher data plan or allow the auto-top-up charges again so they avoid their account being disabled and needing to contact support. Hence the "bug". Anyway, the best way around it is to set a data limit on your phone. If your limit is 250mb, set it at 240 so you don't trigger the shutdown. Because every time you use up all of your monthly data, the system will go a little over, and your account will get frozen until you contact support the next cycle and get it manually reset.
    If you haven't read the Cranial FreedomPop "dummies guide", it's a fairly up-to-date (but long) read on how to play the freedompop game...

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To the OP is your renewal date today? I just went through this myself. The renewal happened about 6am the date after expiration. I too had that message about being inactive but it resolved itself after renewal.

Device(s)
    Current Phone: Nokia N9 Past:Nokia 6651,Nokia 7210
    Carrier(s)
    Currently: at&t
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks to everyone with their recommendations.

@october262: FP now requires VIP (paid customer support) to use that method. They've basically made it almost impossible to contact them without paying for support.

@Boz1, barryspar & dudest: thanks for the info. I have a FB account, so I figured I would send a FB PM, but I couldn't figure out how to send a FB PM from their FB page? I'm thinking creating a Twitter account might be easier?

@dudest: on my Android phone I didn't have this issue because I could set a 240 MB limit, but unfortunately iOS doesn't natively support data limits, which I found unbelievable but I guess Apple figures if you can afford their phones you can afford any data plan, hence I went over the 250 MB limit.

@Gpz1100: no, my renewal date was 3/5. So I was wondering if I wait until April whether it would fix itself, but as dudest pointed out, most likely this won't fix itself since I have a balance on my account that won't ever be credited unless I spend extra money.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Actually, I don't see a message link from https://www.facebook.com/FreedomPop/ now, either. I wonder what's going on?

Anyway, if you still want to try contacting them through your Facebook account, you could try to send them a message from https://www.messenger.com/t/FreedomPop.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by altNz View Post
    I'm on the free 250MB plan with auto top up turned off and a $5 balance, long story short last month rather than stopping at 250MB, I went over by 14MB and ended up using 164MB. When my plan renewed this month, a message appeared at the top of my account page stating "Alert: Your FreedomPop service is inactive due to an unforeseen technical issue. Please Click here to contact customer service. "

The issue is that I have no way of contacting customer service without paying for premium service it seems(?) Clicking the link sends me to a contact customer service page, but when I try to send a message, it says you're not a paying member and sends me to the forum pages. I tried several 800 numbers found around the web, but they all state you need to pay for premium service to speak to a customer service rep.

I've read waiting till the next billing cycle or adding more money to my balance can fix overage issues. But considering I have a 360 day/1GB SIM waiting to activate, I'm considering just cancelling this account and losing $5 rather than spend more money if waiting till next month won't fix this issue. But I thought I'd ask the community on any recommendations prior to doing that. Thanks in advance!
    Twitter is by far the best way. They are extremely responsive on Twitter.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    Twitter is by far the best way. They are extremely responsive on Twitter.
    I'll second that. FreedomPop has multiple accounts on Twitter. The one I've used that's always worked for me is https://twitter.com/freedompophelp. It's only active during business hours M-F, so if you message then today don't expect to hear anything until tomorrow.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Actually, I don't see a message link from https://www.facebook.com/FreedomPop/ now, either. I wonder what's going on?

Anyway, if you still want to try contacting them through your Facebook account, you could try to send them a message from https://www.messenger.com/t/FreedomPop.

Good luck!
    Facebook pages can disable the ability to Message them. It looks like FreedomPop has done that.

Feedback Score
    When my plan renewed this month, a message appeared at the top of my account page stating "Alert: Your FreedomPop service is inactive due to an unforeseen technical issue. Please Click here to contact customer service. "

The issue is that I have no way of contacting customer service without paying for premium service it seems(?) Clicking the link sends me to a contact customer service page, but when I try to send a message, it says you're not a paying member and sends me to the forum pages.
    The web form doesn't let you contact them for support issues, but go through the list and select a billing-type issue, and then it will go through.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone with their recommendations.

@october262: FP now requires VIP (paid customer support) to use that method. They've basically made it almost impossible to contact them without paying for support.

@Boz1, barryspar & dudest: thanks for the info. I have a FB account, so I figured I would send a FB PM, but I couldn't figure out how to send a FB PM from their FB page? I'm thinking creating a Twitter account might be easier?

@dudest: on my Android phone I didn't have this issue because I could set a 240 MB limit, but unfortunately iOS doesn't natively support data limits, which I found unbelievable but I guess Apple figures if you can afford their phones you can afford any data plan, hence I went over the 250 MB limit.

@Gpz1100: no, my renewal date was 3/5. So I was wondering if I wait until April whether it would fix itself, but as dudest pointed out, most likely this won't fix itself since I have a balance on my account that won't ever be credited unless I spend extra money.
    If you're going to stick with FreedomPop, it's best to set up a free twitter account so you can contact FreedomPop by twitter direct message. It is the best way to get free support (and about the only way anymore I think). Send them a message and then wait 1-2 business days for a response or for your issue to be fixed.
    Also, because you disabled auto-top-up, you are not responsible for and should not have to pay for the small overage charge . They are supposed to turn off your data when the free amount is used up. That is their reponsibility. The fact that their system allows a small overage is not your fault. They need to waive the charge, but they have to do it manually. Send them a twitter message and they will waive it and reset your account so it works again. Just be aware this will happen every month if you hit your data limit. As others have said, it's not a "bug", it's a feature (or some saying like that).