Thread: New user here: Should I buy the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5?

Feedback Score

Question New user here: Should I buy the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5?

Hello guys,

So, the long story is that I had a Nokia Lumia 520 (Windows Phone), It was a great phone for me, I used it just for calls, play some games and take some photos, but now, Windows Phone is dead so there is not going to be more updates for them. I had Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 520 and it was "nice" but it didn't work some times at all, the screen froze, no sound, the phone restarted a lot, 720p videos didn't play at all… I don't know what happened but sometimes the phone worked, and sometimes not. The same happened to the phone of my mom (another Lumia 520). The other thing is that my father has a Lumia 535 with Windows 10 and that OS for the Lumia 535 colapse the phone a lot, the screen shows a lot of weird colors, the battery drains like 1000% faster, while watching videos at 720p the phone restarts and the battery goes down 20% every time after turning it On and Off.

Well, the screen of my phone broke after it slipped off of my hands and the phone of my mother got tangled with the cable of the charger, it fell and the screen of her phone broke too. The Lumia 535 of my father is still working but, it only plays videos at 240p and the weird colors of the screen are gone for now, but the battery is still draining so fast...

So here is my question, we wanted to change our phones for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5. I've read a lot of it, saw videos of it and people seems to like that phone a lot.

Any advice for it? It is really a good phone? Can be updated with the latest Android OS? Does the battery drain fast? It has good security options? Does the phone has good specs?

(I don't know anything about IOs or Android, my entire life was just that Lumia with windows phone lol).

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David3220 View Post
    Hello guys,

So, the long story is that I had a Nokia Lumia 520 (Windows Phone), It was a great phone for me, I used it just for calls, play some games and take some photos, but now, Windows Phone is dead so there is not going to be more updates for them. I had Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 520 and it was "nice" but it didn't work some times at all, the screen froze, no sound, the phone restarted a lot, 720p videos didn't play at all… I don't know what happened but sometimes the phone worked, and sometimes not. The same happened to the phone of my mom (another Lumia 520). The other thing is that my father has a Lumia 535 with Windows 10 and that OS for the Lumia 535 colapse the phone a lot, the screen shows a lot of weird colors, the battery drains like 1000% faster, while watching videos at 720p the phone restarts and the battery goes down 20% every time after turning it On and Off.

Well, the screen of my phone broke after it slipped off of my hands and the phone of my mother got tangled with the cable of the charger, it fell and the screen of her phone broke too. The Lumia 535 of my father is still working but, it only plays videos at 240p and the weird colors of the screen are gone for now, but the battery is still draining so fast...

So here is my question, we wanted to change our phones for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5. I've read a lot of it, saw videos of it and people seems to like that phone a lot.

Any advice for it? It is really a good phone? Can be updated with the latest Android OS? Does the battery drain fast? It has good security options? Does the phone has good specs?

(I don't know anything about IOs or Android, my entire life was just that Lumia with windows phone lol).

Thank you!

Can someone give me some advice please?

Feedback Score
    You might want to ask your questions in a different subforum.

What carrier are you and your family using?

Maybe if you post your question in the general prepaid subforum or one of the Android subforums.

This one is hardly ever looked at so not very many people who would be able to help you are going to see your post.

I'm sorry that I don't know anything about the phone that you are wanting information about.

I've used the Lumia 520 and it was a nice phone in its time.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Looks like it is only sold as an international model. If you live in the United States this phone will not really work on any of the networks.

Feedback Score
    Dang it. I got here too late to guess.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    I'm a current owner of Xiaomi, highly recommend it, though I got here late as well I suppose