Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

VoLTE working?

My iPhone XS let me select LTE for “voice & data”. Does that mean they finally got VoLTE working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    My iPhone XS let me select LTE for “voice & data”. Does that mean they finally got VoLTE working?

Nope. Make a call and if it fails then the network side of things is not ready yet

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's been working for months in some areas, still not in some others. They are adding new areas every week.

But seeing the selection option is a good sign that it is at least coming. As noted by terrell352, you will have to test it to be sure whether it is ready in your area.

Just for others, it requires iPhone 8 or higher (only) or some Androids including S8 and S10.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    if while on a call, the phone should stay on LTE
    if it falls back to 4G or H+ then VoLTE is not working.
    you can dial on some android phones *#*#4636#*#*
    a secret menu should show, select phone information
    and scroll down a ways and you should see some switches
    for VoLTE provisioned WIFI calling provisioned ect.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

VoLTE working?

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    if while on a call, the phone should stay on LTE
    if it falls back to 4G or H+ then VoLTE is not working.
    Cool I tested it and confirmed the LTE icon remained during the call so I guess it’s working? Yay Sprint welcome to 2015!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    It's been working for months in some areas, still not in some others. They are adding new areas every week.

But seeing the selection option is a good sign that it is at least coming. As noted by terrell352, you will have to test it to be sure whether it is ready in your area.

Just for others, it requires iPhone 8 or higher (only) or some Androids including S8 and S10.
    So wait what happens when leaving LTE coverage does it drop?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    So wait what happens when leaving LTE coverage does it drop?

I believe so at the present time.

They have it set so you get LTE data switched to TMobile LTE to preserve LTE, rather than to Sprint 3G, and that works well just as far as LTE data itself is concerned, BUT that is not yet keeping the VoLTE call alive because they are not doing VoLTE over TMobile yet. At least that is what people are posting. However I expect that is the obvious intention for the future.

Nevertheless there are very few reports of dropped calls, considering VoLTE has been live in major places like New York, Chicago, etc for months now, so perhaps they choose judiciously where a call will be VoLTE.
    Last edited by comintel; 03-10-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Nevertheless there are very few reports of dropped calls, considering VoLTE has been live in major places like New York, Chicago, etc for months now, so perhaps they choose judiciously where a call will be VoLTE.

My wife used it briefly on her new iPhone XR but had to turn it off. Everyone was complaining that they couldn’t hear what she was saying. When LTE signal becomes weak, instead of dropping the call or hearing static your speech becomes garbled and impossible to understand. No more problems on CDMA but disappointing because no simultaneous voice and data.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    My wife used it briefly on her new iPhone XR but had to turn it off. Everyone was complaining that they couldn’t hear what she was saying. When LTE signal becomes weak, instead of dropping the call or hearing static your speech becomes garbled and impossible to understand. No more problems on CDMA but disappointing because no simultaneous voice and data.
    That's too bad that you in your area were among those relatively few overall who have problems with it. Unfortunately there are always some areas where this will be the case and that is true also to this day for TMobile, for example, from what I gather.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is unbeliable that Sprint is starting to deploy VOLTE considering that the other three carriers have had VOLTE for years. No wonder why Sprint is headed for bankruptcy with the poor leadership running the company. I am hoping the T Mobile USA merger gets approved that would really help out the Sprint customers who have not jumped ship.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    This is unbeliable that Sprint is starting to deploy VOLTE considering that the other three carriers have had VOLTE for years. No wonder why Sprint is headed for bankruptcy with the poor leadership running the company. I am hoping the T Mobile USA merger gets approved that would really help out the Sprint customers who have not jumped ship.
    It is hardly essential to have VoLTE.

Just being used as a thinly-veiled excuse for more Sprint-bashing really - kicking the underdog as hard as possible for Sport.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It is hardly essential to have VoLTE.

Just being used as a thinly-veiled excuse for more Sprint-bashing really.
    I would say it is essential since Sprint depends on Verizon Wireless for roaming to fill in the huge gaps in their coverage espiaclly when you leave a major city. It does not have to be considered essitanal but wether or not it is a standard which it is. It just demonstartes Sprint's financial problems when they can not afford to upgrade their network to keep up with the current standards. It seems Sprint only upgrades their network, when they have no choice in the matter.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would say it is essential since Sprint depends on Verizon Wireless for roaming to fill in the huge gaps in their coverage espiaclly when you leave a major city. It does not have to be considered essitanal but wether or not it is a standard which it is. It just demonstartes Sprint's financial problems when they can not afford to upgrade their network to keep up with the current standards. It seems Sprint only upgrades their network, when they have no choice in the matter.
    Financial?? Sprints towers have always been capable of VoLTE and it's cheap to deploy. They didn't deploy because they knew they would take a voice coverage hit and with so many towers lacking capacity at the time it would have been a disaster. Also 1x was super reliable and winning awards all the time

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by terrell352 View Post
    Financial?? Sprints towers have always been capable of VoLTE and it's cheap to deploy. They didn't deploy because they knew they would take a voice coverage hit and with so many towers lacking capacity at the time it would have been a disaster. Also 1x was super reliable and winning awards all the time

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Sprint was estimated to have a 50% chance of going bankupt back in 2012 and their financials have gotten worse. Link. https://seekingalpha.com/article/454...cy-is-unlikely So the reason they do not have VOLTE is due to ther lack of maintianing their network by your own admission. "1x was super reliable and winning awards all the time" source please. 1X is ancient technology taking up valuable bandwidth that is why it is being phased out by Verizon Wireless. AT&T and T Mobile USA will be phasing out their GSM/WCDMA in a couple of years so they can also reclaim bandwidth as well.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint was estimated to have a 50% chance of going bankupt back in 2012 and their financials have gotten worse. Link. https://seekingalpha.com/article/454...cy-is-unlikely So the reason they do not have VOLTE is due to ther lack of maintianing their network by your own admission. "1x was super reliable and winning awards all the time" source please. 1X is ancient technology taking up valuable bandwidth that is why it is being phased out by Verizon Wireless. AT&T and T Mobile USA will be phasing out their GSM/WCDMA in a couple of years so they can also reclaim bandwidth as well.
    ATT shut down 2G JAN 2017
    VZW been shutting down 2G and 2G will be 100% turn off by the end of 2019
    tmobile prob wont even start till 1 year from now (shutting down-they have 2g converted but they still have slice open still)
    sprint will shut down CDMA 2050 (this one was a joke)