Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

S10 - So far, no thank you!!

Wow!
    Picked up a Galaxy S10 today:

- For those who don't know, there is no longer a little red notification light in the upper left corner.
    - At least on my phone, reception is very poor. I can drive around with my old S9 and get steady -83db in a certain area and that same area with the S10 is so inconsistent that Cell Mapper is totally useless. I can get anywhere from -78 to -101db driving in that same quarter mile stretch near my house. Bars on the S9 stay a steady 5 bars. Bars on the S10 fluctuate between 1 and 5 bars. No idea why.
    - Battery life seems worse than the S9 but then again, I just got the phone, so to be fair, perhaps the battery needs a few days of cherge/discharge.
    - Fingerprint sensor is not as good as the one on the S9. It may be more secure but it is sometimes hit or miss.

I have tried resetting to factory settings, removing and reinserting the SIM card.
    In my opinion, this is not an upgrade to a good phone. It is a phone with different features, many of which do not work as well as they used to.

The S10 is going back tomorrow!
    Last edited by californiajay; 03-10-2019 at 03:58 AM.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Update:
    I exchanged the S10 for a:
    - Pixel 3. Result - Same kind of results with Cell Mapper (inconsistent db and bars on the phone compared to the Galaxy S9.
    Pixel 3 also had no notification light. also had poor battery life, fingerprint sensor was very good, audio quality from phone's mic was bad.
    - Tried my wife's Galaxy Note 9 - Same kind of results once again but bars on the phone rarely went below 5 no matter what db displayed.
    - Exchanged Pixel 3 for a Galaxy S10e - No light, same Cell Mapper results, excellent fingerprint sensor, good call quality even though during a 50 mile drive this morning through several cities in Southern California, I barely got above 2 bars and db very often went above -100db.
    When I checked out my Galaxy S9 again using Cell Mapper, I see that even though the phone rarely displays anything but 4 or 5 bars, signal strength in db isn't all that much better than any of the other phones.
    Conclusion - When compared to actual db, Last year's Galaxy phones seem to exaggerate coverage showing more bars than they should, while this year's S10 phones are the opposite. The Pixel is more in line with this year's phones, and I think iphones may be as well (tried one about a year ago with similar results). Question is, when one phone (my S9) shows full 5 bar coverage in a particular area that my new S10e shows absolutely NO bars (this happened quite a bit this morning along about a 3 mile stretch), do I trust that the phone showing no bars is actually going to be reliable in such an area, or do I give up on trying to find a new phone and keep the old one which shows 5 bars? In other words, I am beginning to wonder why the manufacturers even bother putting the bars on the phones if they don't mean anything!
    Anyone know if there is a way to change the display on the S10 phones to show actual db instead of bars?

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So I read something online the other day which seemed to make some sense but since I do not know enough about all of this, I wonder:

A tech guy talking in one of the forums claimed that if you buy a phone from a cell company, the bars on the phone are more likely set to exaggerate good coverage than one that is unlocked from the manufacturer. So a cell company locked phone may indicate 4 or 5 bars in a given area where the factory unlocked one might have only 2 or 3 bars. Reason as he explained it is that the cell companies are able to do pretty much whatever they want with the bars and it is to their advantage to make their coverage look as good as possible. While I am not sure about other countries, I HAVE read that in the US, cell companies have been able to do so for the past couple of years.

This might explain a lot to what I have seen comparing phones. My S9 was on tmobile prior to my unlocking it and all 3 phones I have tried recently (S10, Pixel 3 and S10e) are factory unlocked. The S9 shows 5 bars when all 3 of the others are more likely to show 3 bars or so.

Does this make sense to anybody?

Feedback Score
    > So a cell company locked phone may indicate 4 or 5 bars in a given area where the factory unlocked one might have only 2 or 3 bars. Reason as he explained it is that the cell companies are able to do pretty much whatever they want with the bars and it is to their advantage to make their coverage look as good as possible.

I have also heard that the coverage maps are not as trustworthy as we might believe them to be. They had a test in Vermont recently and were not impressed.