Thread: Is there a SIM card adapter for a device without a SIM card slot?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

Is there a SIM card adapter for a device without a SIM card slot?

I am looking for a device that will allow me to use a data-only SIM card to go online with my tablet PC when I'm not around wifi. I've tried to use my phone as a hotspot but I get a message Account not set up for tethering which might be because I'm using a MVNO (Red Pocket). I could then use the device where no wifi is available.

I realize that a solution is to get a better phone or better cell service, or a stand-alone wifi hotspot, but don't really need that since the only device I will connect is my tablet. Furthermore, since I will only be using it rarely, I would like to buy a paygo plan rather than a monthly data plan where I'm paying even when I don't use it.

Any ideas?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I am looking for a device that will allow me to use a data-only SIM card to go online with my tablet PC when I'm not around wifi. I've tried to use my phone as a hotspot but I get a message Account not set up for tethering which might be because I'm using a MVNO (Red Pocket). I could then use the device where no wifi is available.
    AFAIK, Red Pocket carriers do not block hotspotting. The likely reason is that you are using carrier branded devices where the hotspot app does a check with the carrier for plan eligibility before starting. Most MVNO plans are not eligible for carrier supported hotspotting. What phone and tablet are you trying to use?

Almost all third party hotspot apps do not work with modern phones. One exception is PDANet. It only works on a limited set of phone models. You can try it for free.

If you happen to have a LG Phoenix 2, the Settings Database Manager app will work to make it pass the carrier eligibility check. I don't know what else it will work on.

There are a couple of apps that work on rooted devices. Rooting devices has some drawbacks. Mobile pay apps don't work on rooted devices (for good reason). I forget what else.

Carrier unbranded devices frequently work with the hotspot app that comes with them. The hotspot app does not do a carrier eligibility check. My Moto G6 hotspots just fine on Tracfone/Verizon.

I realize that a solution is to get a better phone or better cell service, or a stand-alone wifi hotspot, but don't really need that since the only device I will connect is my tablet. Furthermore, since I will only be using it rarely, I would like to buy a paygo plan rather than a monthly data plan where I'm paying even when I don't use it.
    The only paygo plan that I know of that allows hotspotting with the carrier app is Tello. Tello is a Sprint MVNO.

Also keep in mind that hotspotting on a service that does not include it in the plan will subject your service to suspension or termination. Use a little and you will probably get away with it.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you just want basic web browsing and email on the tablet, and not high-quality video streaming, you can also try tethering over Bluetooth. An Android tethering host can offer just Bluetooth (not in addition to WiFi -- iOS only does both at same time), and it uses MUCH less battery power than WiFi.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. My phone is an unlocked Moto E4 and the tablet is a Lenovo ThinkPad 2.

I chatted with a RedPocket customer service representative at length one day and he had me change the APN settings from MVNO Type from None to IMSI, but still no luck. When I attempt bluetooth tethering, I get the same message:

Name:  tethering.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  22.8 KB

The other reason I was hoping there is a device I can connect directly to my tablet is because my sister-in-law uses a dumbphone but has an iPad. When she needs to go online with the iPad she has to find a Starbucks or come to our house. If she could simply connect some network device to her iPad she could go online from home. We could share the device and the cost of the little bit of data each of us would use. But maybe a stand-alone hotspot is the answer.

Thanks again for any suggestions.