Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wishing for a 4G/LTE "feature phone"

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    here is a list of phones that have the slide-out keyboards most are android most are not
    Thanks, but not a single item in that list of search results is a 4G/LTE non-smartphone with a qwerty keyboard. I learned long ago that just because The Google spits something back at you doesn't mean it has anything whatsoever to do with your search query.

I've done lots of searching. More than anything, my original post was wondering aloud if anyone else would find such a device useful or desirable. It sounds like there are a few on this forum who would, either for themselves or a family member.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, I think that most of the active people here were aware beforehand that there was not going to be anything remotely like a hardware keyboard phone of any type that wasn't either an Android based device, or possibly something from a dead OS like BlackBerry 10, due to the chronology of when those devices would've been produced vs. when the VoLTE deadline is approaching for the various networks.

Even the absolute final days of the last "sideways" texter phones TracFone put out are now several years past, so the only hardware keyboard devices that are available, of any type, are the ones from BlackBerry that are Android based (KeyOne & KeyTwo).

For most people, as they've expressed it in the past, who were desirous of a hardware keyboard, they usually weren't too hung up on what operating system it used, as their primary interest was the keyboard type, and realizing that any other combination that provided that feature was long past. So dealing with the learning curve of an actual modern smartphone OS for that "priviledge" is a given.

Device manufacturers, I would guess, see the demand for a hardware keyboard as negligible, and to make a device with one has to be more expensive and complex than a glass slab with a virtual keyboard. With devices priced where they already are I doubt hardware keyboards will be making a comeback. There are many stories and comments on the web about people dealing with the changeover to having to use a virtual keyboard. It's been a rising tide that there was no escape from. With the VoLTE requirements coming up, that will take care of wiping out the last vestiges of old device types some may have been holding on to.

Even beyond that, eventually phone carrier texting itself is going to be undergoing a change that old devices wouldn't be able to keep up with, namely, the adoption of RCS standards. That will take quite a while, I predict, but will likely fully sweep that function up and transform it. At least with a full blown operating system (such as Android or iOS) a device can be "made newer" with functions it might not have originally had, provided of course the device hardware can run the level of the OS that takes care of that (overall compatibility).

As device types go, I think it's great that there are at least a couple of choices for flip phone (clamshell) types that are VoLTE compatible, so that someone who really, REALLY wants to stay with that type into the VoLTE transition period can do so, and at a very affordable price point. But I have yet to see more than those few. It'll be interesting to see if that changes.

Sorry for the long Sunday morning ramble!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ardklg77 View Post
    Thanks, but not a single item in that list of search results is a 4G/LTE non-smartphone with a qwerty keyboard. I learned long ago that just because The Google spits something back at you doesn't mean it has anything whatsoever to do with your search query.

I've done lots of searching. More than anything, my original post was wondering aloud if anyone else would find such a device useful or desirable. It sounds like there are a few on this forum who would, either for themselves or a family member.
    i just did an ebay for a 4G/LTE "feature phone and come up with this - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...70.l1313&_nkw= but it has no slide out keyboard.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You're not understanding. After 12/31/19 any Vzw phone without VoLTE (HD Voice) will stop working on the Vzw network. After 4/30/19 any Vzw phone without VoLTE (HD Voice) will no longer be able to be activated on any Vzw MVNO. On 7/1/18, Vzw stopped activating any phone without VoLTE (HD Voice).

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK. I can see, as an academic exercise, to ask if there are any sideways slider phones (that expressly are not smartphones) to be found out in the big, wide, wonderful world. There may be (but not from the looks of any searches here so far), but as Boz1 points out, they won't work for long with the VoLTE standard coming into effect according to the timetables of the various carriers. None of that type of device was developed with that standard in mind, so the next best bet would've been something with a hardware keyboard that was a smartphone, if the primacy of the texting function was utmost in your mind.

But it seems the prime factor is avoiding smartphones or having to deal with any current established OS, which makes us have to infer that you find that a negative.

That's a personal, subjective matter, but certainly, it is a ship that has sailed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2