Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bsocko View Post
    It is not Verizon's responsibility to support legacy network technology for the sole purpose of 911 calls on unactivated phones or their responsibility to notify anyone who is not a current customer.

Sent from my LM-V405 using HoFo mobile app
    Well said.

There are so many variables to work with here. Does the phone support every frequency band that every mobile operator utilizes? Probably not. Did the power go out in the neighborhood, and does the micro cell that my phone utilizes have enough battery backup to sustain service until power is restored? Probably not. The phone company cannot be responsible for everyone that has an emergency.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by limegrass69 View Post
    My thinking is that Verizon has an obligation to complete 911 calls on disconnected phones operating over a network that it supports. If the phone uses a technology that is no longer supported, there shouldn't be any obligation to complete the calls. Try calling 911 on an analog Motorola Star-Tac and see how that works out.
    I had the 1st digital Motorola Star-Tac as my 1st cell phone in late 1998 which wish still had for resale value. Anyway, how many people, still have a working analog Motrola Star-Tac, maybe a few hundred, a few thousand? On the other hands, hundreds of thousands if not a couple of million or so have the old 3G and any phones without HD Voice in case with Verizon Wireless which can include some older smartphones. That number is being debated, and only coming up with an exact number, which changes daily, would be after checking with all of the carriers and all of their MVNO resellers if all of them would release that info, plus who know how many of those phones sitting in a drawer or car glove compartment seldom used and inactive except in an emergency.

Similar to the phaseout of Windows 7, Microsoft no longer providing many updates after January 14, 2020, and trying to get folks to Windows 10, and similarly with the XP to Windows 7 transitions, there are a lot more people affected by the 2G/3G CDMA take down, way more so than a vintage/antique Star-Tac. Microsoft for some time continue to support these older system users to some extent, at least business users. We will see how all of this plays with seeing CDMA going away and 911 calling yet working on that on not. But individual responsibility to be prepared, but of course for some less or not connected to the internet, especially the elderly, some one in some way needs to tell them.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (main), ZTE Z223, Samsung Factor & Galaxy Prime
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (main), AT&TWS, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here's a great article that I just came across explaining how the Verizon CDMA shutdown to affect 911 calling in rural Idaho and nationwide https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...229968794.html

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by spurkcell View Post
    Here's a great article that I just came across explaining how the Verizon CDMA shutdown to affect 911 calling in rural Idaho and nationwide https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...229968794.html
    Thanks for posting the link. I had been intending to do so but kept forgetting! The article was in response to an email I sent to the Idaho Statesman expressing my concern and suggesting they do some research on the issue. That is a great article, IMO, that points out the issue without casting blame and pointing fingers.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6