Thread: Dual WAN Router Question (Asus)

Feedback Score

Dual WAN Router Question (Asus)

Would it be possible to attched two Nighthawk MR1100 to an Asus RT-AC68U in a Dual WAN configuration? Any of you do something like this? What king of speed improvement?

Feedback Score
    There is no speed improvement using load balancing.
    All it does is distribute data load between the two WANs.

Device(s)
    Imate K-Jam
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Bounds View Post
    There is no speed improvement using load balancing.
    All it does is distribute data load between the two WANs.
    I believe this is true from a single user perspective. The top end speed does not change as I believe most sessions can't be split between WANS so single operations are limited by the fastest WAN. Once you start considering multiple users, individual users within the group can see a "speed improvement" when multiple users are on simply because more total bandwidth is available.

I do what the OP is asking. I don't uses ASUS or Nighthawks, but I have a dual WAN router with two LTE modems attached. I don't do traditional active load balancing, but I assign specific users to specific WANs. Since I keep the kids streaming off the main WAN1, I get "better speed" on the main WAN1 for my use when they are streaming using WAN2. Again, my highest speed has not changed, it simply remains available even when other users are on. Without the dual WAN, the speed I would see when others were streaming would be lower.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I believe it’s possible. One via USB and one via Ethernet. I have an MR1100 on Ethernet and unite on USB. I mainly have it set for failover, but in an active/active setup, its route connections based on a ratio you set. If 1:1 then every other computer would route through one connection, and the others would route through the other. Basically it’d alternate connections, not aggregate them. Max speed would still be the speed of one MR1100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I drank what?!?!?!?
    ---------------------------------------

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Billbraskey420 View Post
    Would it be possible to attched two Nighthawk MR1100 to an Asus RT-AC68U in a Dual WAN configuration? Any of you do something like this? What king of speed improvement?
    Theoretically its possible but ASUS' dual WAN code was broken for years. Last I checked in December, it was still not fixed but they were at least aware and trying to fix finally.

You might have better luck if you can load OpenWRT. Merlin uses the same code base as Asus so it wont be any better and may actually be a step behind. You could also consider a WE826 running OpenWRT or a Peplink device etc.