Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Freedom-Pop (How easy is it really?)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Feedback Score
    0

    Freedom-Pop (How easy is it really?)

    Just lost my H2o balance by not renewing on time so I'm thinking of doing a free line with Freedom-Pop. I've researched a little but just wanted to know how easy it is to start and keep it going. Was thinking of grabbing a sim at Target and giving it a try. Is it smart to use a prepaid credit card with a low balance to get started?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    969
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Personally, I’d suggest not bothering with the free lines anymore. You only get 200MB of data (250 if you get 10 “friends”) and calls other than through their app count towards that. They’ve set many “traps for the unweary” during the signup process, and occasionally one pops up in the app, and made it more difficult to turn off auto-top-up. One data blip with a smartphone could trigger charges.

    I think they run a $20 credit card authorization to start, and constantly pre-approve 1-cent charged on one of my accounts.

    Instead, if you want to use FP, I might suggest you buy the 12-month prepaid plan that is on sale for $35-40 at Best Buy or Target (regularly $50), which gives you 1GB of data and doesn’t require a credit card to be on file. I would then use some other VOIP App (like GoogleVoice) for my calls (even though that uses part of the data), and not even install their app.

    Of course if you make more than a few short calls a day (say 200 minutes a month) you may decide to use their app for calls since that data usage won’t count toward your allowance. Just be very careful if you do, to not accept any “free offers” that pop up (since those are only free for the first month, and the opt-outs are cleverly worded like “I don’t want free stuff” in really tiny print).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    227
    Feedback Score
    0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,781
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have my exp dates listed in my Hofo signature. Actually the dates I list are 10 days before expiration. I also list them in my calendars.

    I wouldn't fool with FP unless I had to economics wise. The potential for extreme frustration is too high for me.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,799
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Just lost my H2o balance by not renewing on time so I'm thinking of doing a free line with Freedom-Pop. I've researched a little but just wanted to know how easy it is to start and keep it going. Was thinking of grabbing a sim at Target and giving it a try. Is it smart to use a prepaid credit card with a low balance to get started?
    I'm not up on what it takes to start a new free line. IIRC, they made some changes since I started mine.

    [Edit] A new free plan will come with first month trials of premium services. They are expensive after the first month. You have to go a couple of places in the online account and navigate weasel worded options to opt out.

    Keeping it going is pretty easy, but usage is absolutely required to keep from being suspended. The minimum usage is five completed outgoing calls using their phone app OR five MB of data usage a plan-month. If the line gets suspended for inactivity, you can go online and click to reactivate. Sometimes it gets stuck and you have to contact them via Twitter to get it fixed. They are fairly responsive via Twitter, but only M-F business hours. There is NO phone support for free plans.

    The free plans are only 200 MB a month on AT&T. You can get another 50 MB by setting up Freedom Friends. On their Sprint service you get 500/550 MB. Sprint data is throttled to 1 Mbps. Both services include 200 minutes and 500 texts using their app. The data that voice and text use does not deduct from your data allowance. I have not found the app to be at all reliable for voice calls. Most people seem to use Hangouts or the Google Voice app for calls and texts. Those do use your data unless you are on Wifi. 200 MB is enough for about 200 minutes of calls.

    Overages: If you get within 20 MB of your data allowance they will draw $15 from your credit card to guard them from not getting paid for overages. You can pay them a deposit to disable this "Auto Top Up". It was $5 when I got mine. It may be $10-$15 now. They expire the deposit after 30 days and you have to go online and renew it. You don't have to pay again, just re-enable it. During any days that it is expired you are vulnerable to the $15 top up. It's a pretty BS system.

    They do not accept prepaid or virtual credit cards. I was able to setup a credit union checking account and debit card that I just keep a few dollars in. That debit card was accepted. There may be some way to limit credit card exposure with PayPal.

    IMHO, FP is a novelty - a free fun toy to play with and not much else.

    Good luck

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    56
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    Feedback Score
    0
    FreedomPop doesn't sound as a good fair company for me. I have read many reviews that they scam clients.
    Check online reviews before buying your new gadget: https://www.pissedconsumer.com/categ...t-gadgets.html

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    3,220
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, you need voice or data? If voice, maybe consider freeup. 1000 units of airtime to be used for talk/text (together, not 1000 units each). Just have to log in monthly and click the renew button. $5 sim charge. If you need data only, then one of the target/ebay/bestbuy fp annual offers might be a good deal. Boz posted a deal at target for $35/1GB data/month for a year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,672
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree that it might not be worth starting a new FP "free" account. A LOT has changed since I started using FP in 2016, and the last FP AT&T LTE SIM card I activated was in March, 2017, and a LOT has changed even since then. I still use my old FP AT&T LTE SIM cards on the free plan in various devices that are lightly used, but again, for a new user, I'd also recommend the FP AT&T LTE prepaid SIM.

    See below for the info I posted previously that GPz1100 mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    As of right now, for the $49.99 FP AT&T LTE UT&T (VoIP) + 1GB/mo annual prepaid plan:

    Target
    $34.99 ($2.92/mo)
    https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519

    Best Buy
    $39.99 ($3.33/mo)
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6187400
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FreedomPop-...t/192530921373
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I can't be positive, but I think the Target deal is the best price yet for the 1GB/mo annual prepaid plan. I forgot to mention that the current sale price is even cheaper, $33.24 ($2.77/mo), if you pay with a Target Red Card.

    Also, while I know it's been this price before, I just noticed that the $149.99 FP AT&T LTE UT&T (VoIP) + 5GB/mo LTE annual plan is on also sale right now for $119.99 ($10/mo) from https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6296211.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,684
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Personally, I’d suggest not bothering with the free lines anymore. You only get 200MB of data (250 if you get 10 “friends”) and calls other than through their app count towards that. They’ve set many “traps for the unweary” during the signup process, and occasionally one pops up in the app, and made it more difficult to turn off auto-top-up. One data blip with a smartphone could trigger charges.

    I think they run a $20 credit card authorization to start, and constantly pre-approve 1-cent charged on one of my accounts.

    Instead, if you want to use FP, I might suggest you buy the 12-month prepaid plan that is on sale for $35-40 at Best Buy or Target (regularly $50), which gives you 1GB of data and doesn’t require a credit card to be on file. I would then use some other VOIP App (like GoogleVoice) for my calls (even though that uses part of the data), and not even install their app.

    Of course if you make more than a few short calls a day (say 200 minutes a month) you may decide to use their app for calls since that data usage won’t count toward your allowance. Just be very careful if you do, to not accept any “free offers” that pop up (since those are only free for the first month, and the opt-outs are cleverly worded like “I don’t want free stuff” in really tiny print).
    My thoughts exactly, leaving a credit card (prepaid credit cards not allowed) on file for a little bit of data? No thanks.. Airtime with actual cellular voice has become way to cheap, I have purchased 3-6 month plans from FreedomPop and they have worked as intended, but I know their limitations (hard cap, no cellular calling, many places won't accept VoIP numbers).

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,684
    Feedback Score
    0
    Avoid the headaches, mainly consisting of leaving a credit card on file, and skip the "free" plan, unless you're that broke .
    You're not going to get an actual cellular phone number regardless of plan.

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,960
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I wouldn't fool with FP unless I had to economics wise. The potential for extreme frustration is too high for me.
    Although some folks are successfully using FP, this seems to be a common sentiment among HoFo members. Good advice, zapjb.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for all the advice!!! Gonna pass on FP. I only need this line for minimal voice calls and I need a certain area code to show when I'm making sales calls. I was only paying $10.00 every 3 months for H2o/At&t with rollover but was a little ticked when I lost a $50.00 balance on my last due date. I'll take a look at Freeup.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    581
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice!!! Gonna pass on FP. I only need this line for minimal voice calls and I need a certain area code to show when I'm making sales calls. I was only paying $10.00 every 3 months for H2o/At&t with rollover but was a little ticked when I lost a $50.00 balance on my last due date. I'll take a look at Freeup.
    I have both FreeUP and FP free plans and also recommend going with FreeUP, presuming you can get your preferred area code or port one in.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would recommend the Best Buy FP SIM thats $14.95, gives you 1gig of data each month for 3 months. This way if something hiccups you aren't out as much as the 6 month deal.

    Anyone that now has a totally free FP deal may get a surprise when they hit you with the $2.99 service fee.

    I have the $9.95 hotspot deal, bought the $24 / 1 gig deal for 1 month then went to the 200 meg free deal with the $4 rollover. So now I have 2.5G to use, and was paying $4/ mo for the rollover. This month the tacked on the service fee, so I am paying $7/mo until I use up the saved up data. When it's gone, I'll buy the $15 SIM at BB every 3 mo. No credit card needed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,407
    Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I tried FreedomPop 2 times and the problem with them is there hidden free when you sign up online they forgive you into an free trial in the 2gb plan but what u don’t like it they charge you the money for 2gb even if it’s an free trail and they hold that money


    Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CDM8900 and BitPim how risky is it really?
    By Steven2113 in forum UT Starcom / Audiovox
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 03:04 PM
  2. How easy is it to change phones?
    By bang13521 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 12:24 PM
  3. how easy is it to change housing on SL55?
    By b4chow in forum Siemens
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 03:57 AM
  4. how easy is it to upgrade t68i
    By jaysian in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-13-2003, 11:39 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 02:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks