Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: SouthernLINC iDEN shut down 03-31-19

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    2,964
    Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    wow really???

    how come sprint didnt do this when they shut Nextels IDEN?
    sprint COULD of had a truly awesome network smh

    im not sure if sprint still does this but u was able to to use CDMA PTT to talk with some one on IDEN, now since theyare now on LTE can u PTT while on LTE to chat with someone who has IDEN?

    i wonder if they will go the same route as sprint and start selling total crap PTT phones that brake super easy..the motorola IDEN phones were tanks, never had one that broke
    Sprint opted to go with a technology called QChat, which was developed by Qualcomm... IIRC it had a plugin that could communicate with IDEN... my experience with this was that QChat phones were buggy, had horrible battery life, and froze up all the time... QChat was *supposed* to be the big thing that would get IDEN shut down sooner. I had a small fleet of Motorola v950’s — nice flip phones for the time — like ruggedized razrs... but as far as PTT was concerned... useless. You’d PTT someone, they would only get notified half the time... if the other person was on IDEN the phone might just hard lock up — the flagship feature of being able to cross PTT between CDMA and IDEN was super unreliable.... Sprint shelves the entire QChat line about a year later... and then did the whole speech about how IDEN was such a great asset etc to cover themselves... I believe that’s when the hybrids came out —IDEN radio for PTT only, CDMA for voice and data.

    If Sprint would have just stuck with Motorola, came up with a custom solution for their problem.... need IDEN reliability on CDMA... and paid Motorola to come up with it, the problem would have been solved and IDEN would have been gone faster.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,169
    Feedback Score
    0

    SouthernLINC iDEN shut down 03-31-19

    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Sprint opted to go with a technology called QChat, which was developed by Qualcomm... IIRC it had a plugin that could communicate with IDEN... my experience with this was that QChat phones were buggy, had horrible battery life, and froze up all the time... QChat was *supposed* to be the big thing that would get IDEN shut down sooner. I had a small fleet of Motorola v950’s — nice flip phones for the time — like ruggedized razrs... but as far as PTT was concerned... useless. You’d PTT someone, they would only get notified half the time... if the other person was on IDEN the phone might just hard lock up — the flagship feature of being able to cross PTT between CDMA and IDEN was super unreliable.... Sprint shelves the entire QChat line about a year later... and then did the whole speech about how IDEN was such a great asset etc to cover themselves... I believe that’s when the hybrids came out —IDEN radio for PTT only, CDMA for voice and data.

    If Sprint would have just stuck with Motorola, came up with a custom solution for their problem.... need IDEN reliability on CDMA... and paid Motorola to come up with it, the problem would have been solved and IDEN would have been gone faster.
    I would have said the ic502 and ic902 came out first and then the v950 with QChat. Hybrid was quicker to roll out because the phone could authenticate to Sprint and Nextel Networks separately.

    Once QChat was out your Private ID could a variation of your phone number like 555*555*5555
    instead of the older style private ID numbers. The gateway between the two systems was neat as well.
    Like you said the v950 QChat did not work very well. It was a great phone but the direct connect feature took so much power to run.
    I also had a Pro700 which actually worked really well. Sanyo Phones were always the best on Sprint.

    And I remember the second wave of Nextel Devices.
    I returned to an i860 once Nextel was sort of in Maintenance Mode. Was nice cause all the users had moved off the network and the rebranding was finished. Less busy signals, somewhat clearer calls etc...

    A couple years later I tried some Verizon Motorola Barrages and they worked extremely well. But the combination of the extra charge and no community of users who all had similar technology sort of spelled the end of PTT.

    I am still waiting for the instant phone call to come out...something like a barge call to your trusted contacts with group call capabilities. Maybe 5G can support this.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by techfranz; 04-24-2019 at 06:04 AM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    There MAY still be a remaining IDEN network in the US... See http://www.airpeak.com/coverage.fx

    That site hasn't been updated, but I know at least as of a couple years ago they provided local service to the California high desert. Their licenses are such that they really have no other options.

    As for SouthernLinc, they would have been a prime candidate for being the FirstNet provider in Alabama and Georgia if they'd have lobbied for it... The states had the option to select their own provider - - everyone pretty much just defaulted to AT&T, but the states could opt out. Had they pushed for it, they'd have ended up with 10*10 of Band 14. Although it sounds like with their coverage they already have a lot of the government business as it is.

    N
    Interesting! I’ve also heard airports still use iDEN for 2-way.

    If Southern LINC wanted to be competitive they’d have made a great Firstnet provider.

    There are so many rural places I visit in Alabama where AT&T & Verizon have 0 signal, but my Southern LINC line has great LTE coverage.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    wow really???

    how come sprint didnt do this when they shut Nextels IDEN?
    sprint COULD of had a truly awesome network smh

    im not sure if sprint still does this but u was able to to use CDMA PTT to talk with some one on IDEN, now since theyare now on LTE can u PTT while on LTE to chat with someone who has IDEN?

    i wonder if they will go the same route as sprint and start selling total crap PTT phones that brake super easy..the motorola IDEN phones were tanks, never had one that broke
    Southern LINC never enabled interoperability with iDEN & LTE.

    It’s a moot point now because they have officially shut down iDEN and bumped LTE to a 3+3 MHz channel now.

    Sprint just had poor management at the time and didn’t really follow through with plans very well unfortunately and lost a lot of PTT customers.

    Right now the only two phones that work on SoLINC LTE are the Sonim XP5S and the Sonim XP8 which is the smartphone I have. They are extremely rugged, and I think they’ll continue that trend down the line.

    Their main customers are the electric companies under Southern Company, construction types and first responders so the rugged phones work perfectly for them.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,007
    Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Sprint opted to go with a technology called QChat, which was developed by Qualcomm... IIRC it had a plugin that could communicate with IDEN... my experience with this was that QChat phones were buggy, had horrible battery life, and froze up all the time... QChat was *supposed* to be the big thing that would get IDEN shut down sooner. I had a small fleet of Motorola v950’s — nice flip phones for the time — like ruggedized razrs... but as far as PTT was concerned... useless. You’d PTT someone, they would only get notified half the time... if the other person was on IDEN the phone might just hard lock up — the flagship feature of being able to cross PTT between CDMA and IDEN was super unreliable.... Sprint shelves the entire QChat line about a year later... and then did the whole speech about how IDEN was such a great asset etc to cover themselves... I believe that’s when the hybrids came out —IDEN radio for PTT only, CDMA for voice and data.

    If Sprint would have just stuck with Motorola, came up with a custom solution for their problem.... need IDEN reliability on CDMA... and paid Motorola to come up with it, the problem would have been solved and IDEN would have been gone faster.
    yes i remember all that because i was with sprint when all this happen...i was on IDEN whih the coverage kinda suck and had coverage holes so i switch over to sprint, i had the v950 and i LOVED it but it had ALOT of software issues i had 10 exchanges from sprint and on the 10th phone it work liked it should! my PTT worked when i had 0-1 bar of RevA now that was some crazy stuff and the calls were clear! sucks that moto had soooo many bugs in the software but why would they release the phone with nothing but bugs in it?..like it took me 10 phones before i got one that was bug free

    oh yea the battery suck and i had to buy the extended bigger thicker battery which did the job, i had to buy 2 of them...only reason why the battery was dying cause it kept on pinging the towers like crazy because of the PTT

    IDEN is motorola sooo wouldnt u think that moto would want to protect its tech,or maybe moto got paid? i just dont see a worldwide network can be treated like this, we got 2 MAIN IDEN networks in the USA are now torn down and then in Mexico ATT has replaced IDEN with their LTE..3 large networks, i mean i understand that its old tech BUT its what connects the world!


    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    I would have said the ic502 and ic902 came out first and then the v950 with QChat. Hybrid was quicker to roll out because the phone could authenticate to Sprint and Nextel Networks separately.

    Once QChat was out your Private ID could a variation of your phone number like 555*555*5555
    instead of the older style private ID numbers. The gateway between the two systems was neat as well.
    Like you said the v950 QChat did not work very well. It was a great phone but the direct connect feature took so much power to run.
    I also had a Pro700 which actually worked really well. Sanyo Phones were always the best on Sprint.

    And I remember the second wave of Nextel Devices.
    I returned to an i860 once Nextel was sort of in Maintenance Mode. Was nice cause all the users had moved off the network and the rebranding was finished. Less busy signals, somewhat clearer calls etc...

    A couple years later I tried some Verizon Motorola Barrages and they worked extremely well. But the combination of the extra charge and no community of users who all had similar technology sort of spelled the end of PTT.

    I am still waiting for the instant phone call to come out...something like a barge call to your trusted contacts with group call capabilities. Maybe 5G can support this.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YES sanyo phones were the BEST phones for sprint, i had the pro 200

    sooooo is sprint still using Qchat or did they move to something else?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Selectel , Page Plus, Dealer shutting down Dec. 31
    By jonfone in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 02:06 PM
  2. Latest on the Iden shut down
    By boostermike in forum Boost Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM
  3. BIS Down? Vancouver 03/31/2009?
    By Amphora in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM
  4. NetZero PrivatePhone shutting down 12/31/2007
    By virginphonefun in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 11:03 AM
  5. FCC to shut down iDEN network?
    By mdasen in forum Sprint
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Bookmarks