Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SouthernLINC iDEN shut down 03-31-19

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

SouthernLINC iDEN shut down 03-31-19

Well for any iDEN fans out there.. Southern LINC is shutting down their iDEN network on 03-31-19 in favor of their new “Critical Linc” LTE network.

It is important to note the level of redundancy in their LTE network. It’s unlike any carrier I’ve heard of before.

99% of all their LTE sites will have a backup power source (Generator or Fuel Cell) that can keep the site up for 7 full days without commercial power.

85% of their sites will have redundant backhaul with 2 or more diverse paths using Microwave & Fiber Optics.

2 redundant EPCs in different states.

I have personally converted over (sadly) to their Critical LINC network using a Sonim XP8. I have coverage places Verizon could only hope for.

They are only running LTE on 1.4MHz right now, but will increase to 3MHz when iDEN vacates the rest of their B26 holdings.

It’s not enough to support large amounts of data users, but it good enough for critical applications such as MC-PTT & VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I'm shocked it lasted this long. Sprint would have kept iDEN if it had a chance of decent data. I do miss the walkie talkie feature and how durable the phones were. Truly an end of an era.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post

Well for any iDEN fans out there.. Southern LINC is shutting down their iDEN network on 03-31-19 in favor of their new “Critical Linc” LTE network.

It is important to note the level of redundancy in their LTE network. It’s unlike any carrier I’ve heard of before.

99% of all their LTE sites will have a backup power source (Generator or Fuel Cell) that can keep the site up for 7 full days without commercial power.

85% of their sites will have redundant backhaul with 2 or more diverse paths using Microwave & Fiber Optics.

2 redundant EPCs in different states.

I have personally converted over (sadly) to their Critical LINC network using a Sonim XP8. I have coverage places Verizon could only hope for.

They are only running LTE on 1.4MHz right now, but will increase to 3MHz when iDEN vacates the rest of their B26 holdings.

It’s not enough to support large amounts of data users, but it good enough for critical applications such as MC-PTT & VoLTE.
    Those speeds are unacceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post

The ping time isn't that bad... agreed that for video streaming it wouldn't be fast enough; but for basic web surfing that's fine. Once they get 3*3 going and kill IDEN, it will be plenty fast enough for their target market -- as long as the ping time stays low and the speeds are consistant, anything between 3-5 is really all you need on a small screen. If the coverage and redundancy really are that good, it would be worth it.

N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    The ping time isn't that bad... agreed that for video streaming it wouldn't be fast enough; but for basic web surfing that's fine. Once they get 3*3 going and kill IDEN, it will be plenty fast enough for their target market -- as long as the ping time stays low and the speeds are consistant, anything between 3-5 is really all you need on a small screen. If the coverage and redundancy really are that good, it would be worth it.

N
    3-5 still isn’t good enough...modern phone apps like fortnight and other games that have huge updates it’s nice to have Better speeds. I’m pulling 40-80 down here in the northeast on Verizon all the time. Love it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wow... I forgot they are still around.

Feedback Score

SouthernLINC iDEN shut down 03-31-19

Sniff...iDen . How fast is their replacement PTT? Is there a chance folks will use it? Or will they just say it’s too slow, I am going to just call people on Speakerphone?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Apparently their LTE network isn't for people like you and me (though maybe not me since I don't even play games on my phone).
    The OP stated that the speeds are good enough for MC-PTT & VoLTE, not for games and with a name like “Critical Linc” I doubt people like you, are the target market for the service. You are also in the wrong region, this company is no where near the Northeast as the OP is somewhere in South.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post

N
    I know LTE 1.4 MHz was decent for basic web surfing that and a few apps. I was a MetroPCS customer before T-Mobile took over and their LTE was ok for basic stuff. Youtube videos was sketchy since it spend most of its time buffering, however back then apps didn't soak up the network like apps do today. Not that I miss LTE 1.4 MHz, but for basic web browsing it was doable.

I would agree 3 MHz is decent for the target market and its intended use, but more is better if they plan on streaming video so the decision makers can make accurate assessments of whatever is going on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    3-5 still isn’t good enough...modern phone apps like fortnight and other games that have huge updates it’s nice to have Better speeds. I’m pulling 40-80 down here in the northeast on Verizon all the time. Love it.

People on this network wont be playing games or streaming video. They literally offer two choices in phones, a Sonim XP8 and a Sonim XP5S feature phone. Their main focus is on providing communication to the power company workers. They sell the excess capacity to consumers, mostly emergency workers or construction for the PTT and reliability.

I’m on a 5GB for $85 plan, and the highest they offer is 10GB for $105.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Sniff...iDen . How fast is their replacement PTT? Is there a chance folks will use it? Or will they just say it’s too slow, I am going to just call people on Speakerphone?

The PTT is based on the Motorola Wave 7000 platform. It’s been instant and extremely reliable in my experience over the past few months. I haven’t heard any complaints from others I have radioed that switched from iDEN as well. It’s definitely on the level of iDEN for speed and reliability.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Southern LINC is a way for the Southern Company (electric utility) to offset the cost of digitizing their electric maintenance radio network. This network is mission critical for their maintenance crews. It's about as disaster-proof as they come.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Southern LINC is a way for the Southern Company (electric utility) to offset the cost of digitizing their electric maintenance radio network. This network is mission critical for their maintenance crews. It's about as disaster-proof as they come.
    Wouldn’t it have been cheaper to build a radio network on top of say Verizon’s LTE network?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Wouldn’t it have been cheaper to build a radio network on top of say Verizon’s LTE network?
    I think Southern Company's radio network existed before Verizon. They converted their analog trunked network to iDEN and began selling surplus capacity to mostly business customers in order to offset the cost and make some money off the network. Now they are going to a low bandwidth LTE. When something is mission critical, you might not want to trust it to someone else. Many Southern LINC towers are co-located at Southern Company electric substations. They may share backup power, towers, microwave, etc. with the power monitoring and control system.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Yes as DRNewcomb said, they’ve had an iDEN network for a long time. Actually they launched iDEN in 1996, and this is their only viable upgrade option now that iDEN is obsolete.

Because their network is designed for the power companies, they have coverage in places where even Verizon lost service 15 miles prior.

A lot of the middle of nowhere places I go only have Southern LINC coverage. Neither Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, not AT&T/FirstNet have coverage within 10-15 miles.

I spent the majority of my day out on the lake today where Verizon had either no-service or bouncing between searching and 1X, but LINC had 4-5 bars of LTE.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast