Thread: "5G e" slower than 4G on other carriers

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

"5G e" slower than 4G on other carriers

An interesting article that shines a light on the marketing tactic AT&T calls 5Ge. It's obvious they're hoping to cash in on the perceptions of uneducated consumers, while they deceptively deliver a mediocre product.

Sad and desperate AT&T.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...g-study-finds/

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Depends on the area and what devices were used to test. The Galaxy S10 utilizes 5CA vs 4CA(non-LAA bands) which all other devices use 4x, depending on if the site is upgraded of course. T-Mobile, and especially Verizon wish they could hit this on my area:

Name:  Screenshot_20190323-113157_Gallery.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  21.4 KB

Device(s)
    I870 Mine
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I get this type of speed in my living room at home in Honolulu with T-mobile. Not bad for 4GLTE

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    An interesting article that shines a light on the marketing tactic AT&T calls 5Ge. It's obvious they're hoping to cash in on the perceptions of uneducated consumers, while they deceptively deliver a mediocre product.

Sad and desperate AT&T.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...g-study-finds/

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app
    Problem with this article is its very one sided and opinionated, rather than showing both sides of the story. Be careful where you get your news from. While I don't agree it's was a good idea to label it 5Ge, it is clearly defined on Ts website that it's 4G technology that is software upgradeable.

https://www.att.com/5g/consumer

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, do the other carriers have the same technology? I’m kind of confused. It says that this is 4G, but it’s a more advanced 4G? Does T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon have the same advanced 4G?
    AT&T: 2009 to Present
    Sprint: 2000 to 2009

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by HPLouis View Post
    So, do the other carriers have the same technology? I’m kind of confused. It says that this is 4G, but it’s a more advanced 4G? Does T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon have the same advanced 4G?
    Yes, they're all upgrading.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Yes, they're all upgrading.

Thanks. So I’m guessing that AT&T was the first to this network advancement?

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks. So I’m guessing that AT&T was the first to this network advancement?
    T-Mobile had 256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO active before anybody else.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    T-Mobile had 256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO active before anybody else.
    Oh, OK. This damn 5Ge is really confusing. A few people at my job got the 5G icon last week and they were telling me that AT&T is the first to 5G and I’m trying to tell them it’s something different and even I don’t understand all of this.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I really don't care one way or the other about the indicator saying 5Ge vs. 4G LTE although I do not like how it's being rolled out, at least in my market. It's being rolled out by TACs (tracking area codes) and not by whether a tower has 4CA. A TAC in my immediate area tends to be made up of about 3 good-sized suburbs. Most of the towers in my TAC have been upgraded to have bands 2/5/12/14/30/66. I have speedtested over 200 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up on a consistent basis. However, the '5Ge' indicator has not been turned on for this TAC; phones only display 4G LTE. The TAC just to the south, however, does have the indicator and it is on if you are connected to any tower in the TAC. However, I estimate that only about half the towers in that TAC have been upgraded, and some only have bands 2/12 - a few are band 12 only. But '5Ge' displays everywhere in that TAC even if connected to a single-band tower.

Thus, seeing '5Ge' isn't even an indicator that the tower the phone is connected to is an upgraded tower. It just means AT&T has decided to enable the indicator for that particular cluster of towers.

I don't believe, as some are saying, that '5Ge' towers are slower BECAUSE of having '5Ge' enabled. But, it's entirely possible at least in my market for speeds to be slower on '5Ge' because I can pull 6 Mbps on a band 12 tower in the TAC where the 5Ge indicator is on, and pull over 200 Mbps on the fully-upgraded tower serving my house that still says '4G LTE' because it hasn't been turned on for this TAC.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    I really don't care one way or the other about the indicator saying 5Ge vs. 4G LTE although I do not like how it's being rolled out, at least in my market. It's being rolled out by TACs (tracking area codes) and not by whether a tower has 4CA. A TAC in my immediate area tends to be made up of about 3 good-sized suburbs. Most of the towers in my TAC have been upgraded to have bands 2/5/12/14/30/66. I have speedtested over 200 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up on a consistent basis. However, the '5Ge' indicator has not been turned on for this TAC; phones only display 4G LTE. The TAC just to the south, however, does have the indicator and it is on if you are connected to any tower in the TAC. However, I estimate that only about half the towers in that TAC have been upgraded, and some only have bands 2/12 - a few are band 12 only. But '5Ge' displays everywhere in that TAC even if connected to a single-band tower.

Thus, seeing '5Ge' isn't even an indicator that the tower the phone is connected to is an upgraded tower. It just means AT&T has decided to enable the indicator for that particular cluster of towers.

I don't believe, as some are saying, that '5Ge' towers are slower BECAUSE of having '5Ge' enabled. But, it's entirely possible at least in my market for speeds to be slower on '5Ge' because I can pull 6 Mbps on a band 12 tower in the TAC where the 5Ge indicator is on, and pull over 200 Mbps on the fully-upgraded tower serving my house that still says '4G LTE' because it hasn't been turned on for this TAC.
    See, that's not good. They shouldn't be updating the indicator until almost all sites in the TAC have been upgraded.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh, OK. This damn 5Ge is really confusing. A few people at my job got the 5G icon last week and they were telling me that AT&T is the first to 5G and I’m trying to tell them it’s something different and even I don’t understand all of this.
    Because it's not 5G, just show them this T-Mobile twitter video as that's what AT&T did..

https://twitter.com/tmobile/status/1...358720?lang=en

They just upgraded to essentially LTE+ (which T-Mobile and verizon did a while back) and slapped a new logo on it *rolleyes*
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd say I'm surprised but I've studied cell phones and performance over the last year and a half and realize how much marketing mumbo jumbo there is. There are so many factors that affect cell phone signals that a 5G system (while it's eventually going to be good) is no magic bullet.