Thread: Another Chinese phone calling home

Feedback Score

Another Chinese phone calling home

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...data-to-china/

HMD is in hot water following a report from Norwegian site NRKbeta, which found that HMD's Nokia 7 Plus was sending users' personal information to a server in China. HMD responded to the report, admitting, "Our device activation client meant for another country was mistakenly included in the software package of a single batch of Nokia 7 Plus."
    Where did we hear that before? Oh, yes...
    https://www.androidauthority.com/blu...e-data-790470/

Feedback Score
    News about Huawei:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-report-2019
    HCSEC’s 2019 report found “several hundred vulnerabilities and issues” with Huawei products, some of them unaddressed holdovers from the 2018 report. HCSEC noted that its evaluation team is “relatively small,” so the number of vulnerabilities they were able to discover with limited manpower is troubling.

Feedback Score
    Was this device approved for use on any US Networks? Verizon certification is strict and the Nokia 7.1 was approved for Verizon and I assume Nokia 7.2 will get certified too later on.

If I had the 7 Plus, I would have sued HMD in court and gotten the money back for the phone plus damages and given the phone back to them as it already has been compromised by the Chinese and is unusable.

Nokia under HMD is trying to position itself for growth in USA due to the Huawei ban and seemed to be doing quite well as an alternative to Samsung which has the largest android marketshare in USA. The products look quite nice. How this could happen is quite concerning but HMD was a small company at the time and products were just starting to emerge and thorough testing should have prevented this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Was this device approved for use on any US Networks? Verizon certification is strict and the Nokia 7.1 was approved for Verizon and I assume Nokia 7.2 will get certified too later on.

If I had the 7 Plus, I would have sued HMD in court and gotten the money back for the phone plus damages and given the phone back to them as it already has been compromised by the Chinese and is unusable.

Nokia under HMD is trying to position itself for growth in USA due to the Huawei ban and seemed to be doing quite well as an alternative to Samsung which has the largest android marketshare in USA. The products look quite nice. How this could happen is quite concerning but HMD was a small company at the time and products were just starting to emerge and thorough testing should have prevented this.
    Yep, get rid of the competition based on false lies. Typical Western move, instill fear in people to achieve your agenda.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk