Thread: Where are the thousands of small cells and network densification?!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Where are the thousands of small cells and network densification?!

So...

Has anyone seen a single outdoor small cell deployed by Rogers in the GTA and/or surrounding area? A year ago, they said that plans were well underway to deploy thousands of them. Along the same line, wheres this network densification they promised? Apart from seeing equipment swapped with new gear on SOME EXISTING sites/towers around here, I havent seen any new macro or micro/small cell sites...and there are still quite a few existing sites serving populated areas that havent been touched, and it shows with poor performance.

By comparison, Bell has not only upgraded ALL of their sites here with new antennas and additional radio units, but theyve also deployed new towers AND quite a few more small cells.

Seems like one company has been all talk and very little action while another has actually done a lot of real work to their network without hyping it up

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    So...

Has anyone seen a single outdoor small cell deployed by Rogers in the GTA and/or surrounding area? A year ago, they said that plans were well underway to deploy thousands of them. Along the same line, wheres this network densification they promised? Apart from seeing equipment swapped with new gear on SOME EXISTING sites/towers around here, I havent seen any new macro or micro/small cell sites...and there are still quite a few existing sites serving populated areas that havent been touched, and it shows with poor performance.

By comparison, Bell has not only upgraded ALL of their sites here with new antennas and additional radio units, but theyve also deployed new towers AND quite a few more small cells.

Seems like one company has been all talk and very little action while another has actually done a lot of real work to their network without hyping it up

I haven't seen any small cells yet from either carrier. I also haven't been to Toronto in months... But I will agree Rogers is very slow. I have seen 2 brand new Erricson rural sites go up in areas where coverage was almost non-existant...other than that natta...we are still not Ericcson on Peterborough county. Still old Quintel (Andrew) panels. Not sure what's up with that and we also still don't have any B2. HSPA still setup for 21mbps. And trying to figure out any of this information is next to impossible because all the carriers keep such secrets from us...smh. Hopefully they pull their pants up soon. And the funny thing is I've seen a Rogers 5G commercial but it's just some marketing BS no information, no dates...nothing...it's a shame. And stillll we have absolutely terrible rate plan pricing.. Which is why I use 2 tablet lines $15/3gb from Fido and koodo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Bell small cells are everywhere. They have hundreds, if not thousands deployed. Same with Telus in their RAN turf.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Bell small cells are everywhere. They have hundreds, if not thousands deployed. Same with Telus in their RAN turf.

How do they look like?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post
    How do they look like?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    Yeah what do they look like and where can I find them in the GTA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In the GTA they are usually installed on street poles. Sometimes alone, sometimes in pairs.
    Name:  micro.PNG
Views: 168
Size:  921.6 KB
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here is what the Telus ones mostly look like in Metro Vancouver (they have started replacing them with newer units):

One is for B4 LTE and other is for B2 UMTS.

There are dozens of communities with these every few hundred metres, and fully shared with Bell in terms of access.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

In some areas around the GTA, Bell has also installed them every few hundred metres...some areas are even more dense. They also have a bunch north of the GTA, including throughout the Blue Mountain village in Collingwood. Anyway, I really thought things were going to change for Rogers under Natales leadership, but so far its been the same all talk and little action company that weve seen before!

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Rogers hasn't done much for cell sites IMHO. Areas of Northern Ontario are still few/far between, while Bell/Telus have been building up.
    In urban (even relatively small towns), Bellus has put in sites in and surrounding the communities, while Rogers might have one site at the edge of the town. Capacity on Rogers isn't the issue, as nobody is really using it. I do suspect that in many areas, Bell may be attempting to replace its xDSL with wireless where it isn't feasible to deploy fiber. Rogers is going to have its lunch eaten.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Agreed. To be honest, I dont think much will change with 5G either. Rogers will probably only deploy small cells in very urban/dense areas like down-town city cores. Bell/Telus really do have a different strategy, which I find better. I dont see Rogers making much use of mm wave spectrum (which will definitely require many small cells to be effective) outside of city cores.