Thread: buying 4G phone

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

buying 4G phone

Looking for a new phone, probably a Galaxy S8. PP says it must be "Verizon unlocked CDMA-only," will not work with combined GSM + CDMA. I'd rather not end up with a paperweight should I decide to ditch PP. Is this a legitimate concern, or is it not worth worrying about?

I'm also a bit confused about the whole unlocking issue. What does it mean when they say "Verizon unlocked" - if it's unlocked, shouldn't it be portable to other carriers?

Thanks!

...Steve

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by opus543 View Post
    Looking for a new phone, probably a Galaxy S8. PP says it must be "Verizon unlocked CDMA-only," will not work with combined GSM + CDMA. I'd rather not end up with a paperweight should I decide to ditch PP. Is this a legitimate concern, or is it not worth worrying about?

I'm also a bit confused about the whole unlocking issue. What does it mean when they say "Verizon unlocked" - if it's unlocked, shouldn't it be portable to other carriers?

Thanks!

...Steve
    Any phone for use with PPC must simply have an ESN clear for activation on the Vzw network, and not be an unused/unseasoned Vzw Prepaid device. I believe ALL will be compatible for GSM use, as long as the SIM card slot isn't locked.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz. I'm afraid some of this is over my head - how is a CDMA-only phone compatible for GSM use? Prior to purchase, not sure how I'd obtain the ESN or confirm that the SIM card isn't locked.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Boz. I'm afraid some of this is over my head - how is a CDMA-only phone compatible for GSM use? Prior to purchase, not sure how I'd obtain the ESN or confirm that the SIM card isn't locked.
    There are a number of models of phones that will work on any network, including Vzw, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular.

Where are you buying the S8? If eBay, simply ask if the phone has an ESN clear for activation on Vzw postpaid, and if the SIM card slot is unlocked for use on AT&T/T-Mobile. If the answers are yes, it will work on PPC and any GSM network. If when you get it, it doesn't, the seller will be obligated to send a prepaid return shipping label and refund your full purchase price, or eBay/PayPal will make the seller do that.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    All Verizon smartphones since about 2013 have GSM (and CDMA) and the GSM is carrier unlocked from the factory*. The GSM is not used by Verizon in the U.S. It can be used in other countries that only have GSM.

The CS rep that you communicated with was wrong about CDMA-only phones for PP.

Phone sellers frequently will not give out ESNs. It is work and a risk to them. If a seller says that the phone is ready to activate on Verizon postpaid, it will activate on PP and other Verizon MVNOs. eBay will enforce a free return and complete refund if the product is not as described.

In your other thread you mentioned an AT&T Galaxy S8. I don't see anything it the specs that says that the AT&T model G950A has any CDMA capability. It also does not have the LTE bands for Verizon.

*Verizon may have recently started carrier locking their newest phones.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have the phone in hand (it's my wife's phone), purchased unlocked from Amazon. Model G950U1. The Amazon description says "Works on all GSM carriers. Will not work on CDMA carriers like Sprint or Verizon." PPC says the IMEI "is certified and available for use on our system." But they keep contradicting themselves and their FAQ is useless. We'd need to purchase a new phone before switching, would hate to do that and then discover the S8 won't work with PPC. The activation section of the PPC website says to enter the ESN or MEID - near as I can tell, this phone has only IMEI.

Sorry about the duplicate threads, forgot about this one.

(Dunno why my username indicates "Phone Expert" or how to change that)

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you want to know there is only two true model of S8's. If it is a Snapdragon based S8, it will have all the bands plus CDMA. So Verizon did certified it for use on their network. So it will work on all the carriers in the US easily. Then if it is an Exynos based S8, it might have the right bands for some of the US carriers, but Verizon did not certified it for use on their network.

I could be wrong, but that is how I understand at least the S8 models.