Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Surprised iPhone 8 is 5gE capable

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    164
    Device(s)
    Apple IPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T LTE
    Feedback Score
    0

    Surprised iPhone 8 is 5gE capable

    12.2 IOS update added 5gE signal icon
    Two great smartphone apps to find cell towers and map actual coverage areas
    1. Cellmapper
    2. OpenSignal
    If You're With AT&T Wireless as your Cell Provider, Use the "AT&T Mark The Spot App" to report an issues with your service, like, no connection, slow speeds, no coverage, drop calls...etc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    904
    Feedback Score
    0

    Surprised iPhone 8 is 5gE capable

    Wow AT&T must have made a large capital expenditure and have run tremendous fiber backhaul and upgraded all the towers surrounding you to correspond to the timing of your IOS upgrade to 12.2
    Just think of the novelty of being in one of the first 5G markets!

    Except 5GE is fake 5G . But I do wish I would see the little icon on my XS Max.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    97
    Feedback Score
    0
    iPhone 8 can because it’s technically that’s already been out. Just an AT&T illusion

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bj.doman View Post
    iPhone 8 can because it’s technically that’s already been out. Just an AT&T illusion
    I was thinking it needed some LTE capability that Apple didn't include until 2018. That the 8 (and the X that I had) wouldn't qualify. Of course, at this point I'm sure I couldn't find the info from last year when 5Ge first was announced.

    So I guess I may see it on my X at some point if I'm in a supported area. Unless it is limited to ATT Postpaid (I'm on prepaid).
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    From what I've read, the phone is supposed to support 4x4 MIMO at a minimum. Plus some other requirements. Capabilities that Apple didn't include in their phone until the Xs and the Xs Max. The Xr, and the previous years 8 and X, are only 2x2.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    904
    Feedback Score
    0
    Updated my XS Max to 12.2 and no 5GE icon, just LTE with 105 Mbps down and 6 up. With speeds like that I can wait for the new signal icon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,379
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Updated my XS Max to 12.2 and no 5GE icon, just LTE with 105 Mbps down and 6 up. With speeds like that I can wait for the new signal icon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It depends if it's connected to 4x4 mimo or not, It's just laughable that AT&T is even doing this, as most places i've had the 5Ge icon, i've swapped to the Verizon eSIM and had faster speeds
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Posts
    12,340
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Got it on my iPhone XS Max as well. Nothing has changed as far as speeds. Symbolic at best.
    Hartford, CT Area

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    It depends if it's connected to 4x4 mimo or not, It's just laughable that AT&T is even doing this, as most places i've had the 5Ge icon, i've swapped to the Verizon eSIM and had faster speeds
    How is this even legal? If it's not 5G how can they say it is?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    746
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    How is this even legal? If it's not 5G how can they say it is?
    because ’s FCC prioritizes corporate profits over the little guy.

    inb4 “just vote with your wallet!” as if handwaving criticism & deflecting responsibility is a valid counterargument

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    How is this even legal? If it's not 5G how can they say it is?
    T-Mobile (and then AT&T afterwards) claimed that their 3G network was a 4G network back around 2012. So...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    686
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why wouldn't any phone be capable of a made up standard?
    Durham, NC


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,379
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WaruiKoohii View Post
    T-Mobile (and then AT&T afterwards) claimed that their 3G network was a 4G network back around 2012. So...
    It was *actually* started with AT&T, T-Mobile just labeled it HSPA+ until AT&T did that then followed suit, as at the time the HSPA+ 42 network *was* faster than Verizon's LTE on a regular basis.

    AT&T never went past HSPA 14.4, so i'm not even sure why they even attempted it.

    Quite honestly though on T-Mobile's HSPA42 network, i was regularly 20-30Mbps so it was a very good network, or 3G+ as one would call it

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,658
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    It was *actually* started with AT&T, T-Mobile just labeled it HSPA+ until AT&T did that then followed suit, as at the time the HSPA+ 42 network *was* faster than Verizon's LTE on a regular basis.

    AT&T never went past HSPA 14.4, so i'm not even sure why they even attempted it.

    Quite honestly though on T-Mobile's HSPA42 network, i was regularly 20-30Mbps so it was a very good network, or 3G+ as one would call it
    T went to Hspa 21. We have seen speeds over 15 mbps.

    Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    3,874
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Agreed. I've seen speeds as high as 18 on H+ with 64 QAM enabled on the download. Not all sites were fully enabled to achieve that though especially the ones upgraded to UMTS in the last few years and the ones that were still on T-1.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Sprints IPhone 4S 4G capable?
    By Boarder in forum iOS (iPhone)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
  3. is s300 capable of e-mail?
    By yyz2hkg in forum Samsung
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 12:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 04:19 PM
  5. Is Bell capable of utilizing MO-SMS?
    By KapitalK in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-19-2002, 12:03 PM

Bookmarks