Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Surprised iPhone 8 is 5gE capable

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    It was *actually* started with AT&T, T-Mobile just labeled it HSPA+ until AT&T did that then followed suit, as at the time the HSPA+ 42 network *was* faster than Verizon's LTE on a regular basis.

AT&T never went past HSPA 14.4, so i'm not even sure why they even attempted it.

Quite honestly though on T-Mobile's HSPA42 network, i was regularly 20-30Mbps so it was a very good network, or 3G+ as one would call it
    T-Mobile rebranded their 3G network as a 4G network in November 2010.
    AT&T rebranded their 3G network as a 4G network in January 2011.

So it seems to have actually started with T-Mobile, with AT&T following.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobi...ets-and-on-new
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...63912912052074
    Last edited by WaruiKoohii; 03-28-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaruiKoohii View Post
    T-Mobile rebranded their 3G network as a 4G network in November 2010.
    AT&T rebranded their 3G network as a 4G network in January 2011.

So it seems to have actually started with T-Mobile, with AT&T following.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobi...ets-and-on-new
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...63912912052074
    Humm, i recall the other way around, but my memory with that is fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    T went to Hspa 21. We have seen speeds over 15 mbps.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk
    T had HSPA42 in my market, and I was regularly at 30Mbps in Phoenix at the time
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It depends if it's connected to 4x4 mimo or not, It's just laughable that AT&T is even doing this, as most places i've had the 5Ge icon, i've swapped to the Verizon eSIM and had faster speeds
    Wasn't there recent news/data saying Tmobile and VZW on 'regular' LTE was averaging faster speeds than 5Ge+!!! or whatever ATT calls it.

I think there should be a lot of egg on their face for this - we aren't having the faux-G race of last time. We have actual 5G tech available now. The other major carriers aren't faking LTE into something new. ATT is so dumb for this.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T had HSPA42 in my market, and I was regularly at 30Mbps in Phoenix at the time
    T = At&t
    Tmus = tmobile

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Surprised iPhone 8 is 5gE capable

I really don't see the big deal about the icon change..it isn't false advertising because AT&T calls it 5ge. The big difference being the E in the name which stands for Evolution. AT&T explains this is the first step towards 5g. How so you may ask. Because towers that have been upgraded with new equipment that support the newer LTE Advanced standards have also gotten 5G equipment in addition to the firstnet equipment. The 5G just has to be turned on via a software switch. So I'm happy to get the 5Ge icon because it gives me an idea of what towers in my area have been upgraded to B14 and LTE Advanced and will be getting 5g in the future at a glance without having to types in codes to pull up diagnostic screens etc. I'm glad they got firstnet because that seems to have sped up their upgrading of equipment on towers. Hopefully this means better coverage for all of us soon in addition to the increased capacity. But in the meantime the 5Ge isn't as big of a deal as everyone is making it seem but likewise I guess no one actually reads the explanation that companies put out. They just see 5G in the name and wanna grab the pitchforks. The towers that have the 5Ge designation DO have "real" 5G equipment

Feedback Score
    https://urgentcomm.com/2018/12/05/at...y-end-of-2019/

My source for everyone wondering where I got my facts

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    I really don't see the big deal about the icon change..it isn't false advertising because AT&T calls it 5ge. The big difference being the E in the name which stands for Evolution. AT&T explains this is the first step towards 5g. How so you may ask. Because towers that have been upgraded with new equipment that support the newer LTE Advanced standards have also gotten 5G equipment in addition to the firstnet equipment. The 5G just has to be turned on via a software switch. So I'm happy to get the 5Ge icon because it gives me an idea of what towers in my area have been upgraded to B14 and LTE Advanced and will be getting 5g in the future at a glance without having to types in codes to pull up diagnostic screens etc. I'm glad they got firstnet because that seems to have sped up their upgrading of equipment on towers. Hopefully this means better coverage for all of us soon in addition to the increased capacity. But in the meantime the 5Ge isn't as big of a deal as everyone is making it seem but likewise I guess no one actually reads the explanation that companies put out. They just see 5G in the name and wanna grab the pitchforks. The towers that have the 5Ge designation DO have "real" 5G equipment
    Except in the commercial where they state they are the first 5G network and the average joe thinks their phone from last year got a magical upgrade when in reality it’s just at$t finally doing the upgrades they should have been working on 2yrs ago for LTE

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    https://urgentcomm.com/2018/12/05/at...y-end-of-2019/

My source for everyone wondering where I got my facts
    That is an excellent article. It sounds like AT&T is doing something similar to what Verizon did when then upgraded all their towers to Volte. This should get rid of all the remaining 4G only towers they seem to have missed when rolling out LTE.

In general AT&T does not have the issues with spectrum & capacity crunch like Verizon does, so a 50% capacity increase would be phenomenal. And new 5G antennas sounds great!

And doing all this by the end of 2019 sounds great. Very happy to be an AT&T customer.

But can we assume that all towers connected to phones displaying the 5Ge logo are already upgraded? I would tend to say no, as 4x4 MiMo is something all the carriers are experimenting with and I am guessing based on the reports of slower 5Ge speeds that the full 5G equipment has not been installed yet. I think 5Ge does not necessarily correspond to an upgraded tower, but rather it is a 4x4 MiMo tower or not.

My issue is you take something that is based on an industry standard like “5G” and apply it to a product that does not meet the standard, that is deceptive marketing.

I understand AT&T wanting to recoup their build-out costs and begin capitalizing on the upgraded network, but they really could have invented a fictional name that could have sounded really neat like LTE-A, LTE-Max, LTE-Multi, LTE 4x4.

Looking forward to the 100% upgraded network in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple IPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T LTE
    Feedback Score

Haven’t noticed any difference with this 5gE update

One thing noticed Is slower inside my house. Don’t know if it has anything to do with 5gE
    But outside everywhere else is the same

Connected to band 66 inside the house
    Last edited by hdtvtechno; 03-31-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Two great smartphone apps to find cell towers and map actual coverage areas
    1. Cellmapper
    2. OpenSignal
    If You're With AT&T Wireless as your Cell Provider, Use the "AT&T Mark The Spot App" to report an issues with your service, like, no connection, slow speeds, no coverage, drop calls...etc

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    5gE is the biggest joke of the telecommunications industry yet. Deceptive marketing and no actual increase in anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    5gE is the biggest joke of the telecommunications industry yet. Deceptive marketing and no actual increase in anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the world of corporate marketing! AT&T is not the only company that has done this. Not saying that I approve of this, but is it really worth losing sleep over?
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Except in the commercial where they state they are the first 5G network and the average joe thinks their phone from last year got a magical upgrade when in reality it’s just at$t finally doing the upgrades they should have been working on 2yrs ago for LTE
    Technically they are. They launched "real" 5G in like 12 markets last year. You can even buy the 5G nighthawk even tho the price of the 5G plans are ridiculous. But in all of the 5g evolution commercials (the "just ok is not ok" ones) I've seen they clearly say "now with 5G evolution, the FIRST STEP to 5G." Of course at the bottom they say it may not be available in your area and list the website for more information blah blah blah. Nonetheless my only point being they clearly say it's the first step to 5g which is true since the towers with 5ge have 5g equipment. True they should've been doing these upgrades long ago but hey they're doing them now at a rapid pace and likewise they are finally deploying that spectrum they have been sitting on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    That is an excellent article. It sounds like AT&T is doing something similar to what Verizon did when then upgraded all their towers to Volte. This should get rid of all the remaining 4G only towers they seem to have missed when rolling out LTE.

In general AT&T does not have the issues with spectrum & capacity crunch like Verizon does, so a 50% capacity increase would be phenomenal. And new 5G antennas sounds great!

And doing all this by the end of 2019 sounds great. Very happy to be an AT&T customer.

But can we assume that all towers connected to phones displaying the 5Ge logo are already upgraded? I would tend to say no, as 4x4 MiMo is something all the carriers are experimenting with and I am guessing based on the reports of slower 5Ge speeds that the full 5G equipment has not been installed yet. I think 5Ge does not necessarily correspond to an upgraded tower, but rather it is a 4x4 MiMo tower or not.

My issue is you take something that is based on an industry standard like “5G” and apply it to a product that does not meet the standard, that is deceptive marketing.

I understand AT&T wanting to recoup their build-out costs and begin capitalizing on the upgraded network, but they really could have invented a fictional name that could have sounded really neat like LTE-A, LTE-Max, LTE-Multi, LTE 4x4.

Looking forward to the 100% upgraded network in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand. I agree they could've used a different LTE name but likewise I can understand the naming convention since it is the evolution to 5g. And according to articles I've seen in different places towers only get the 5Ge designation if they have been upgraded. I have also seen the reports of slower speeds but with so many factors we don't know what the cause is. I'm sure they may have to go back and tweak some things. But the 5Ge designation seems to correspond to upgraded towers. At least in my area the towers that I've seen workers and cranes on ended up being 5ge. I still only have 5ge in certain areas in my city but the number of areas are increasing. Apparently the 5Ge upgrades include not only the equipment but back haul upgrades too. That also corresponds to what I've seen in my city. The tower by my home got upgraded and they laid new fiber everywhere including up to that tower. Of course my neighborhood just had AT&T fiber go live. The other areas with the upgraded towers have also recently had lots of fiber laid.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    If the 8 can show 5G e, then the X should too. Unless ATT is only doing it on Intel models?

I'm in a market that the ATT info page shows as supported. Though I suppose it could just be 1 tower in town.

Or limited to Postpaid (I'm on ATT Prepaid).

Device(s)
    Apple IPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T LTE
    Feedback Score
    Yes all iPhones 8, and 8Plus, X, XR, XS, XSMax are all 5gE capable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast