Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it my phone or the network...???

Feedback Score

Is it my phone or the network...???

Hi... Just got a brand new G6 Play which I love from Boost mobile. I just love everything about the phone except ..... the internet speed.

I am visiting Las Vegas and staying in a motel and my internet speed is terrible. Not the fast LTE I was expecting.

I have ran several speed tests and outside, my highest speed was 15Mbps download. Uploads fastest was .77 Mbps.

Indoors.... It's usually under 2 Mbps and often less than 1.

I know your area can affect this but when you stay with friends on Metro that are getting at least triple those speeds and often much more it's very frustrating.

It says I am connected to a tower in Burbank CA and I have no idea how close that is.

Is Boosts coverage that bad in Vegas? Shouldn't my numbers be much better than that? Any ideas on what may be happening here because I am quite disappointed to say the least.

Thanks in advance
    Leesa

Feedback Score
    does the phone say LTE ??
    sounds like you are roaming
    why not use the motels WIFI.

Feedback Score
    Thanks ..... Yes, it says LTE with 2 or 3 bars. It has continually displayed LTE.

No wifi available at this South Las Vegas motel. Again... my Metro roommates are getting great download and upload speeds. A little frustrating to say the least.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I suggest that you power the phone off/on and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes the phone may not fully connect to the local network and this may solve the problem. Good luck.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    The G6 Play should be fully compatible with the Sprint network if it's properly set up.

Sprint is pretty lousy in some areas. That just might be one of them.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leesa2019 View Post
    It says I am connected to a tower in Burbank CA and I have no idea how close that is.
    No way are you connected to a tower in Burbank when in Las Vegas. Likely that is where the speed test program is connecting to for a test. But your tower would be in Las Vegas.

And speeds will vary no matter what carrier you are on. At any specific location, one carrier or the other may be slow. Distance from tower. Frequency used. Number of people sharing the tower.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    No way are you connected to a tower in Burbank when in Las Vegas.
    While I agree with this, as a former CS international tech rep for At&t we would occasionally get a call from a customer whose phone said they were connected to a tower in one country even though they were in a completely different country (sometimes in the US). It did require a system reset of the phone to fix the issue. This is not a frequent issue for most, but it does happen from time to time.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Las Vegas is ~ 280 miles from Burbank. No WONDER your speeds are slow!

Are speeds slow no matter what part of Las Vegas you're in, or just at your hotel?

If you're just visiting Las Vegas, where did you buy the phone? Did you do any speed tests in any other city before arriving in Las Vegas?

Did you contact Boost support?

As mentioned above, certain Sprint towers might be congested causing slow data speeds, or it really could just be that the Sprint network is bad where you are.

Feedback Score
    Hi... Thanks for the replies. I am visiting from Palm Bay FL and will be returning there in a few days.

Although I have only tested the phone here at the motel, I will be out and about today and will run some tests around town.

Bought the phone here, ported in my old TracFone number. So I have a 321 Florida number.

I will get back to you guys later today or this evening for an update and I appreciate all of the input. 😀

Thanks
    Leesa

Feedback Score
    This article gives speeds for the different carriers.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-is...service-577566

Your speed is not that bad.

I am on boost and lucky if I can get 2 Mbps on LTE and often my speed is so slow it is unusable.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Wow! Boost is pretty slow!

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Wow! Boost is pretty slow!
    Yeah, looks like Boost needs a boost.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Ok... After going out and about I have been getting speeds of 20, 30, 40 to as much as 90 Mbps download speeds. Upload speeds are much lower and my highest readings we're between 5 and 7 Mbps... with most readings at or below 1.

So... As you can see the numbers vary tremendously depending on location.

My questions are as follows. When I get home to West Palm Bay FL (32907) zip and my signal is really poor on Boost will another carrier s towers pick me up? I've heard that companies share towers.

Also.... How hard would it be to switch carriers with my Moto G6 play which I love? Would there be a penalty? Technical nightmare for me?

Thanks guys
    LEESA

Feedback Score
    Boost has no data roaming. You get 60 minutes voice roaming per month.

After you have an unlocked phone you can take it to any compatible carrier.

If your phone is a boost phone it would have to be unlocked before going to another carrier. I think you need 1 year active service and then can call boost to unlock it.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    My experience with Sprint MVNOs in Florida is limited to a few years ago, but I recall they cover south Florida pretty well. From Wellington to Miami was pretty good and actually better than Verizon for coverage in some areas.

Upload speeds are never good on Sprint, which is fine as most of us download 10x or more than we upload. Not sure why they don’t have better upload speeds, but that may go back to how the set the network up. Even at home in the suburbs at night (when network usage is really low) I get 100mbps down and only single digit upload speeds on Sprint.

For most usage the difference between a few mbps and ten times that is negligible. If it works see, then speed tests don’t really matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast