Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What MVNO allow for wifi/data voice calls?

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score

What MVNO allow for wifi/data voice calls?

I am lovin' my wifi/data calls with Google Voice. The sound is much clearer and I am saving money since I'm around wifi all day.

I'm thinking I can port my wife's number to any MVNO with wifi/data calls and save her some money and hopefully have better reception. I understand that this depends on the network. Her phone is unlocked so theoretically any SIM card will be compatible.

She doesn't use GV and porting her number to GV may not be possible. She's currently with boom! on the $25/mo plan, so if it ends up costing more than that, it's not really worth it.

Any suggestions?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    cricket wireless - uses AT&T network has WIFI calling & VoLTE
    AT&T prepaid - has started WIFI calling & VoLTE so not yet everywhere
    Verizon prepaid - has VoLTE & WIFI calling.
    there are a bunch more that are too numerous to mention.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I am lovin' my wifi/data calls with Google Voice. The sound is much clearer and I am saving money since I'm around wifi all day.

I'm thinking I can port my wife's number to any MVNO with wifi/data calls and save her some money and hopefully have better reception. I understand that this depends on the network. Her phone is unlocked so theoretically any SIM card will be compatible.

She doesn't use GV and porting her number to GV may not be possible. She's currently with boom! on the $25/mo plan, so if it ends up costing more than that, it's not really worth it.

Any suggestions?
    How are you saving money? Do you not have an unlimited voice plan?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Money would be saved by using GV over data if someone does NOT have unlimited minutes.

However, normal WiFi calling using a carrier provided # still uses allowance minutes, so I don't think it will help in Relztrah's described scenario.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Money would be saved by using GV over data if someone does NOT have unlimited minutes.

However, normal WiFi calling using a carrier provided # still uses allowance minutes, so I don't think it will help in Relztrah's described scenario.
    Hmmm. I didn't think of that, but I believe you're right. Even with GV set to Prefer wifi and mobile data, calls are forwarded to my carrier number, so I'm using paygo minutes, right? Or do I misunderstand how wifi calling works?

So I guess if it really want to save money, I should go back to the $10 Red Pocket data-only plan, which in fact I was previously using. And in that scenario, since there are no voice or text minutes to deplete, I would only be deducting from my 1GB data allowance when I'm away from wifi.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm. I didn't think of that, but I believe you're right. Even with GV set to Prefer wifi and mobile data, calls are forwarded to my carrier number, so I'm using paygo minutes, right? Or do I misunderstand how wifi calling works?

So I guess if it really want to save money, I should go back to the $10 Red Pocket data-only plan, which in fact I was previously using. And in that scenario, since there are no voice or text minutes to deplete, I would only be deducting from my 1GB data allowance when I'm away from wifi.
    I have the Red Pocket 100/100/500/$5 plan. GV calls forwarded to my RP number never get deducted out of my bucket of 100 mins when set to Wi-Fi/mobile data.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Mint Mobile runs on T-Mobile's network, and has WiFi calling. They do bulk pricing that gets as low as $15 a month.

My experience has been okay with their WiFi calling. It works best in areas with no service. But, if you have good cellular service, I find that the call switches back and forth a lot. That creates a brief pause in the conversation during the switch.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    GoogleVoice can be integrated into the native phone app on Android. So if you choose to do that, your incoming and outgoing calls using GoogleVoice to/from the native dialer will use data and not minutes.

If you didn’t choose the integration (or are on iOS) then only calls using the GoogleVoice app will use dats and calls using the phone’s native dialer will use minutes.

In either of the situations above, in order to use data, you must have that set in the GoogleVoice settings.

If your wife is using Boom!, does her device support VoLTE on Verizon? If so, VoLTE calls shouldn’t be much different than Wi-Fi calls. On the other hand, if her calls are CDMA 1X (not VoLTE), then there is a huge quality difference. I am pretty sure Boom! Supports VoLTE, but it may be by request, and if not, several other Verizon MVNOs do support these features.

As noted above, very few AT&T MVNOs support Wi-Fi calling (since AT&T keeps advanced features primarily to themselves or their subsidiaries), and conversely most T-Mobile MVNOs do support it since T-Mobile gives MVNOs access to most features.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    GoogleVoice can be integrated into the native phone app on Android. So if you choose to do that, your incoming and outgoing calls using GoogleVoice to/from the native dialer will use data and not minutes...
    I don't think that is correct. At the top of the page where you turn on VoIP calling ( Google Voice Settings > Make and receive calls >Prefer W-Fi and mobile data) there's a disclaimer "This does not affect calls started from the device's phone app".

I have confirmed that calls made from the phone dialer with Google Voice integration turned on (Settings > Calls started from this devices's phone app >Use your Google Voice) are charged by the the minute on my PayGo plan. If I want to make calls over data I must use the dialer in the Google Voice app.
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Thank you to all who have responded. This has become--due to my hijacking it--a GV discussion rather than a wife's phone options discussion, so I might start a separate thread in the GV forum. I'll continue to investigate options for my wife and also continue to investigate how wifi/data calls are charged to a paygo plan. When I was using a Red Pocket data-only plan, I was making and receiving voice calls normally when not connected to wifi, so somehow I must have GV configured to allow this. The problem I have with H2O is that I see only a balance, not how many MB or voice minutes I have used. So I don't know if I'm using megabytes of data for voice calls, or minutes. It doesn't really matter since I'll probably go back to the RP data-only plan for $10 a month which is more than enough. UT&T plus ample data for ten bucks a month can't be beat.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I don't think that is correct. At the top of the page where you turn on VoIP calling ( Google Voice Settings > Make and receive calls >Prefer W-Fi and mobile data) there's a disclaimer "This does not affect calls started from the device's phone app".

I have confirmed that calls made from the phone dialer with Google Voice integration turned on (Settings > Calls started from this devices's phone app >Use your Google Voice) are charged by the the minute on my PayGo plan. If I want to make calls over data I must use the dialer in the Google Voice app.

I know the OP wants to close this thread, but I do want to clear up that what I provided above doesn't work any longer. I think this was back in the GV VOIP Beta and/or Hangouts, but I definitely had this working on one of my Androids using a FreedomPoP SIM and the native dialer (the FP SIM doesn't support cellular voice, and I know I did this without the FP app).

I did some research, and it looks like it might have been hangouts integration back then, but since Google is moving away from Hangouts for calls, they appear to have removed the ability to have Hangouts be the integrated into the native Android dialer. I tried to set this up anew on one of my Androids, and the settings don't exist anymore for that.

Sorry for the misinformation -- I didn't realize that dropped support for this.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I know the OP wants to close this thread, but I do want to clear up that what I provided above doesn't work any longer. I think this was back in the GV VOIP Beta and/or Hangouts, but I definitely had this working on one of my Androids using a FreedomPoP SIM and the native dialer (the FP SIM doesn't support cellular voice, and I know I did this without the FP app).

I did some research, and it looks like it might have been hangouts integration back then, but since Google is moving away from Hangouts for calls, they appear to have removed the ability to have Hangouts be the integrated into the native Android dialer. I tried to set this up anew on one of my Androids, and the settings don't exist anymore for that.

Are you sure Hangouts ever had the ability to integrate into the native Android dialer app? Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't seem to find any reference to that anywhere, and I've also personally used Hangouts on Android for a long time.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    I have the Red Pocket 100/100/500/$5 plan. GV calls forwarded to my RP number never get deducted out of my bucket of 100 mins when set to Wi-Fi/mobile data.
    That's the expected behavior "when set to Wi-Fi/mobile data". With that setting, if there is WiFi or Mobile Data available, the call never gets forwarded to your forwarding #.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

For the first part, no, if "Prefer wifi and mobile data" is set, and if there's WiFi or Mobile Data available, the call never gets forwarded to your forwarding #.

For the second part, if you want to save even more money, use a FreedomPop 1GB/mo annual prepaid SIM that can be purchased for as low as $33.24 ($2.77/mo) on sale, if you pay with a Target Red Card, or $49.99 ($4.17/mo) at regular price.

The following was from last week, but I just checked, and the FreedomPop 1GB/mo annual prepaid still on sale at Target:
    As of right now, for the $49.99 FP AT&T LTE UT&T (VoIP) + 1GB/mo prepaid plan:

Target
    $34.99 ($2.92/mo)
    https://www.target.com/p/freedompop-...a/-/A-53511519

Best Buy
    $39.99 ($3.33/mo)
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6187400
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FreedomPop-...t/192530921373

I can't be positive, but I think the Target deal is the best price yet for the 1GB/mo annual prepaid plan. I forgot to mention that the current sale price is even cheaper, $33.24 ($2.77/mo), if you pay with a Target Red Card.

Also, while I know it's been this price before, I just noticed that the $149.99 FP AT&T LTE UT&T (VoIP) + 5GB/mo LTE annual plan is on also sale right now for $119.99 ($10/mo) from https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedom...?skuId=6296211.

Feedback Score

The old version of the GV app did not have a dialer. You used the phone app or contacts to start a call and set the GV app to make the call using the cell number or the GV number using cell service. The GV app did not have any ability to use Wifi or mobile data for calling in or out. So yeah, the GV app was integrated with the phone dialer.

The FP app is also integrated with the phone dialer. You can initiate a call from the phone app or contacts and it will flip over to the FP app for the call. The FP app during a call looks a lot like the a phone app.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast