Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What MVNO allow for wifi/data voice calls?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Thank you to all who have responded. This has become--due to my hijacking it--a GV discussion rather than a wife's phone options discussion, so I might start a separate thread in the GV forum. I'll continue to investigate options for my wife and also continue to investigate how wifi/data calls are charged to a paygo plan. When I was using a Red Pocket data-only plan, I was making and receiving voice calls normally when not connected to wifi, so somehow I must have GV configured to allow this. The problem I have with H2O is that I see only a balance, not how many MB or voice minutes I have used. So I don't know if I'm using megabytes of data for voice calls, or minutes. It doesn't really matter since I'll probably go back to the RP data-only plan for $10 a month which is more than enough. UT&T plus ample data for ten bucks a month can't be beat.
    All of the services that I know of that have Wifi/data calling consume you plan minutes when you use it. There is no money to be saved there. The savings come from using GV or other VOIP service over data.

Device(s)
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Some comparison: https://bestmvno.com/compare/cheapest-cell-phone-plans/. I like Mint Mobile, but I didn't use it before. So you'd better consider several carriers.
    Best and worst brands, reviews from real customers - https://www.pissedconsumer.com/

Feedback Score
    I am lovin' my wifi/data calls with Google Voice. The sound is much clearer and I am saving money since I'm around wifi all day.

I'm thinking I can port my wife's number to any MVNO with wifi/data calls and save her some money and hopefully have better reception. I understand that this depends on the network. Her phone is unlocked so theoretically any SIM card will be compatible.

She doesn't use GV and porting her number to GV may not be possible. She's currently with boom! on the $25/mo plan, so if it ends up costing more than that, it's not really worth it.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you to all who have responded. This has become--due to my hijacking it--a GV discussion rather than a wife's phone options discussion, so I might start a separate thread in the GV forum. I'll continue to investigate options for my wife and also continue to investigate how wifi/data calls are charged to a paygo plan. When I was using a Red Pocket data-only plan, I was making and receiving voice calls normally when not connected to wifi, so somehow I must have GV configured to allow this. The problem I have with H2O is that I see only a balance, not how many MB or voice minutes I have used. So I don't know if I'm using megabytes of data for voice calls, or minutes. It doesn't really matter since I'll probably go back to the RP data-only plan for $10 a month which is more than enough. UT&T plus ample data for ten bucks a month can't be beat.
    As I mentioned above earlier, using traditional WiFi calling with a carrier/MVNO phone # will still use minutes from any plan allotment, so that won't help save any money.

If using a GV # over data only isn't an option for your wife's line, even though it works/worked well for you, then her only option would be to switch to a different MVNO that offer the same or more than boom! for less than $25/mo. How many minutes, texts, and MBs does she use monthly?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am lovin' my wifi/data calls with Google Voice. The sound is much clearer and I am saving money since I'm around wifi all day.

I'm thinking I can port my wife's number to any MVNO with wifi/data calls and save her some money and hopefully have better reception. I understand that this depends on the network. Her phone is unlocked so theoretically any SIM card will be compatible.

She doesn't use GV and porting her number to GV may not be possible. She's currently with boom! on the $25/mo plan, so if it ends up costing more than that, it's not really worth it.

Any suggestions?
    u can jump on metro pcs (t-mobile network)
    $25 no data,unlimited calls and text
    they have wifi calling along with VOLTE both options gives u super clear phone calls between phone calls even if the the person doesnt have t-mobile itll still connect with VOLTE

Feedback Score
    I've been using FP, data only SIM in a hotspot.. Have Hangouts dialer, Groove IP, and TextNow installed.
    Smartphone logged into HS, all 3 apps work as if logged into WiFi. If you were relying on data to receive calls you would have to leave the HS connected to the FP/ATT network which about 10 MB a day due to app updating & misc. crap. I use the cell network for receive, just don't answer & call back using data.

For awhile I used the FP data SIM in the smartphone. All but the native dialer worked ok. Shut off cell data to save data.Dual SIM feature w/have been nice.

Note on FP: Even after you have gone through the hoops to make the SIM free, they may tack on a $3 service fee monthly.

Feedback Score

WARNING: Red Pocket still does NOT have WiFi calling (July 2020)

Hmmm. I didn't think of that, but I believe you're right. Even with GV set to Prefer wifi and mobile data, calls are forwarded to my carrier number, so I'm using paygo minutes, right? Or do I misunderstand how wifi calling works?

So I guess if it really want to save money, I should go back to the $10 Red Pocket data-only plan, which in fact I was previously using. And in that scenario, since there are no voice or text minutes to deplete, I would only be deducting from my 1GB data allowance when I'm away from wifi.
    WARNING: Red Pocket still does NOT have WiFi calling (July 2020). I have used Red Pocket for over 2 years on my spare phone. My main phone has Pix Wireless, which HAS Wifi calling, a life-saver bec I live in a rural area with 1bar to none, but WiFi calling works beautifully.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Floydbeck View Post
    WARNING: Red Pocket still does NOT have WiFi calling (July 2020). I have used Red Pocket for over 2 years on my spare phone. My main phone has Pix Wireless, which HAS Wifi calling, a life-saver bec I live in a rural area with 1bar to none, but WiFi calling works beautifully.
    Wi-Fi calling does work on Red Pocket GSMT (T-Mobile) & whitelisted GSMA (AT&T) phones.
    It does not work on Verizon at all.
    Last edited by Digital Rules; Today at 12:29 PM. Reason: Wrong info given on AT&T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Wi-Fi calling does work on Red Pocket GSMT (T-Mobile). It does not work on Verizon or ATT.
    WiFi calling does work on RedPocket GSMA (ATT) on my Moto E5 Play (XT1921-2).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Floydbeck View Post
    That's not universally accurate.

What RP network(s) are you talking about?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmccorm View Post
    WiFi calling does work on RedPocket GSMA (ATT) on my Moto E5 Play (XT1921-2).
    My bad, I should have said it only works on select AT&T phones beyond Red Pockets control. It's an AT&T whitelisting issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2