Thread: Moto Z2 Force unlocked should work with TF Tmo SIM?

Feedback Score

Moto Z2 Force unlocked should work with TF Tmo SIM?

Hi all,
    So the story is this: I bought a Moto Z2 Force AT&T prepaid phone which I used for a few months with a TF SIM (AT&T carrier). Recently I got the BOGO TF deal which made me move my balance to a TF SIM(TMO carrier), came with LG Fiesta which I gave to my kids. So I unlocked my Moto Z2 Force (successful it says) and moved the TF TMO SIM into it expecting it to work, but surprise, it cannot acquire a network. I also used the TF TMO SIM into another unlocked LTE phone and worked OK, but why won't it work in my Z2 Force?
    TIA for your wisdom

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sorint View Post
    So I unlocked my Moto Z2 Force (successful it says) and moved the TF TMO SIM into it expecting it to work, but surprise, it cannot acquire a network.
    If you go into the phone's Settings, does it show the T-mo SIM info (SIM number, phone number on it, etc)?

Feedback Score
    Hi all,
    So the story is this: I bought a Moto Z2 Force AT&T prepaid phone which I used for a few months with a TF SIM (AT&T carrier). Recently I got the BOGO TF deal which made me move my balance to a TF SIM(TMO carrier), came with LG Fiesta which I gave to my kids. So I unlocked my Moto Z2 Force (successful it says) and moved the TF TMO SIM into it expecting it to work, but surprise, it cannot acquire a network. I also used the TF TMO SIM into another unlocked LTE phone and worked OK, but why won't it work in my Z2 Force?
    TIA for your wisdom
    how long has it been since you entered the unlock code ??
    it may take up to 24 hrs for the unlock code to work. see here post #86 - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0-00!!!!/page6

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge Moto E4/E2/G4-G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Maybe you will have to add the TracFone TMO APN.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Maybe you will have to add the TracFone TMO APN.
    But APN is only needed for data access, not calls/SMS texts. The OP seemed to say that it has no T-mo network access at all.

Feedback Score
    Hi all,
    TIA for your wisdom
    My tf at&t sim works fine in my z2..so does my mint mobile sim, didn't have to touch apn setting for either.. Not sure why yours isn't..

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    OK let me provide an update on this. The Z2 phone (unlocked) with TF TMO SIM started working a short while after me posting my initial message. I guess it had to do with my location having very bad TMO reception (which I already knew). Surprisingly even APN settings from Z2 phone (initially ATT prepaid) are working with TMO SIM.

Therefore my followup question: if I purchase a TF SIM kit and try to move/swap service from TMO SIM to ATT SIM, can I do that online (if so, how)? I try to stay away from TF customer service since everytime I contact them directly I seem to lose minutes/temper/sanity ?

Thanks again to all that responded so far

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    my followup question: if I purchase a TF SIM kit and try to move/swap service from TMO SIM to ATT SIM, can I do that online (if so, how)? I try to stay away from TF customer service since everytime I contact them directly I seem to lose minutes/temper/sanity ?
    You can transfer service to a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM by activating the new SIM and select "Yes" when it asks if you want to "keep your phone number", then provide the phone number of the current T-Mo SIM. Going from one carrier to another has a higher risk of losing your phone number and/or balance. We recommend that you use Chat and let the rep do it. You can do it yourself online, but you've been forewarned.