Thread: Just a Rant

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Just a Rant

I know this has all been said before, many times in fact, but it still amazes me to this day the disparity between the cost of network use in Canada and the rest of the world.

I'm back in the UK for a few months and and just signed up for a new plan which includes:

25GB, 7,500 mins voice, 8,000 texts, full rollover minutes and data, full Euro roaming, partial worldwide roaming, VoLTE, VoWiFi, visual Voicemail, etc, etc. Getting network speeds at about an average of over 100Mb/s constantly too, even in rural areas.

Cost: The equivalent of $38 per month and I probably could have got better than that had I been bothered to shop around, and the prices in mainland Europe are even lower.

Enough of the excuses, the average 2yr contract in Canada is now pegged at over $80pm with far less data and flexibility. Make all the excuses you want about network cost, etc, the Canadian carrier industry is nothing more than a license to print money.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but I just needed to rant

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It's amazing what a little competition will do to prices...

There *IS* a population density factor, to be sure... The UK is 6times as dense as the 401 corridor. (Same area with 6 times the POP's)

But C'mon....

I'm sure there might be a few MVNO's there...

Incidentally, I bet Canada isn't one of those included roaming destinations, but the US is...

I wonder why?

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    Various
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I might as well add another rant.
    Everyone is offering Huawei P30 and P30 Pro. What the #%#%@^^&% freedom mobile. And thanks for giving me a reason to shop around and realised that without those family and friends deal, Freedom is not cheap anymore.
    I just ported out 1 of the 3 lines that I have with freedom to Rogers. I get a 30% discount on their plan for being part of a professional organization and get a very generous data package. The price is actually cheaper than freedom mobile (if I was to get a s10+ but thats not what I wanted but the Huawei p30 Pro) . I am starting to see that the price at Freedom mobile is not cheap when a phone is added. I will be looking at porting out once my s9+ tab is done and the s10+ is done.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    It's amazing what a little competition will do to prices...

There *IS* a population density factor, to be sure... The UK is 6times as dense as the 401 corridor. (Same area with 6 times the POP's)

But C'mon....

I'm sure there might be a few MVNO's there...

Incidentally, I bet Canada isn't one of those included roaming destinations, but the US is...

I wonder why?

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    Actually, Canada is included. When I set up the plan they confirmed that I can run it out in Canada if it's not over when I return. I get the density issue, but only to a certain extent

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    Actually, Canada is included. When I set up the plan they confirmed that I can run it out in Canada if it's not over when I return. I get the density issue, but only to a certain extent
    A smaller share of a bigger market still means more subs.

You can cover the area with the same amount of infrastructure (spectrum, notwithstanding)

I'll give Canada 5-10/mo for that...

Free roaming in Canada? Cool.

My wife's sister in Ireland (Republic) pays through the nose for roaming here, but not in the US. Maybe a different plan would change that.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    My wife's sister in Ireland (Republic) pays through the nose for roaming here, but not in the US. Maybe a different plan would change that.
    I don't know about her mobile provider, but Vodaphone Ireland has a €2.99 roaming rate for Canada/USA which includes unlimited calls, unlimited texts, and 200MB of data. That's not the best price, but it's not terrible for Canada; it is terrible for Ireland.