Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total wireless vs Verizon prepaid

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Total wireless vs Verizon prepaid

Hello all,
    I am planning to switch from t-mobile as my work has only Verizon reception. I am debating between total wireless and Verizon prepaid. We are planning to port two lines — iPhone X and 8+. The following is important to me in addition to reliable network:

1. Ability to do occasional hotspot. Sometime I am stuck without WiFi and for short period need hotspot. I would say I use less than 500 MB hotspot wifi a month

2. Ability to have visual voicemail.

I have a feeling Verizon will probably provide these, but total wireless seems cheaper.

Thanks in advance

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3. Also need WiFi calling as some areas at work have no network whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar500 View Post
    Hello all,
    I am planning to switch from t-mobile as my work has only Verizon reception. I am debating between total wireless and Verizon prepaid. We are planning to port two lines — iPhone X and 8+. The following is important to me in addition to reliable network:

1. Ability to do occasional hotspot. Sometime I am stuck without WiFi and for short period need hotspot. I would say I use less than 500 MB hotspot wifi a month

I have a feeling Verizon will probably provide these, but total wireless seems cheaper.

Thanks in advance
    I use Total Wireless as my primary. I have the same coverage as Verizon native service. Total Wireless doesn't roam. Verizon prepaid roams, but it costs extra. I can use hotspot regardless of what their dumb policies are. Visual Voicemail works on their branded devices but does not work on Verizon Android devices. I'm not sure about iPhones, but maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

And Total Wireless does not do Wifi calling, so if that's a deal breaker go with Verizon Prepaid.

Feedback Score

Total Wireless Vs Verizon Prepaid

Quote Originally Posted by dollar500 View Post
    Hello all,

3. Also need WiFi calling as some areas at work have no network whatsoever

Thanks in advance

Do some additional searches.

Hotspot should work.

Some iOS users have reported visual voicemail working.

Some iOS users have reported that wifi calling and texting works.

From my point of view, Total Wireless is easy and cheap enough to switch to. Try it for a month and if you don't like it, switch to Verizon prepaid.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I use Total Wireless as my primary. I have the same coverage as Verizon native service. Total Wireless doesn't roam. Verizon prepaid roams, but it costs extra. I can use hotspot regardless of what their dumb policies are. Visual Voicemail works on their branded devices but does not work on Verizon Android devices. I'm not sure about iPhones, but maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

And Total Wireless does not do Wifi calling, so if that's a deal breaker go with Verizon Prepaid.
    The extra charge for Verizon Prepaid roaming is only applicable for some old plans.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Hotspot is against TOS but does work. My daughter's unlocked iphone XR and my son's unlocked Moto G6 does have visual voicemail. We haven't try wifi calling so I am not sure on that. This is all on Total Wireless.

Feedback Score
    Interesting, I have a family member using an Iphone XR and the Hotspot does NOT work yet I have another relative with a Moto G6 and the Hotspot works perfect and both are on Total Wireless. I was thinking about moving over to Total Wireless but no Hotspot would be a deal breaker for me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wr2m View Post
    Interesting, I have a family member using an Iphone XR and the Hotspot does NOT work yet I have another relative with a Moto G6 and the Hotspot works perfect and both are on Total Wireless. I was thinking about moving over to Total Wireless but no Hotspot would be a deal breaker for me
    some phones have the ability to use hotspot out of the box. if you go to the bottom of the total wireless webpage, there's a link for current customers to activate hotspot - https://www.totalwireless.com/shop

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wr2m View Post
    Not sure if it helps, but I have a Verizon Jetpack 7730L Mifi on my Total Wireless family plan. And I can hotspot just fine with my Total Wireless branded Samsung J7 Crown.

Feedback Score

Total Wireless Vs Verizon Prepaid

Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Not sure if it helps, but I have a Verizon Jetpack 7730L Mifi on my Total Wireless family plan...
    Now that IS interesting. So, you simply have another line, just like it was a regular phone line SIM card and use it in the hot-spot then?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Now that IS interesting. So, you simply have another line, just like it was a regular phone line SIM card and use it in the hot-spot then?
    I called Total Wireless and told them it was a bring your own phone device. They activated it without question. lol. The onscreen data usage meter on the hotspot doesn't work (the one that tells you how much data has been used), but it works just fine.

Feedback Score
    Currently on the 37.5GB 4-line promo plan. The hotspot is one of my four lines.

Feedback Score
    Hotspot works on both my Android and iPhone on TW. It doesn’t violate TOS. Putting a TW SIM in a Verizon Jetpack does violate TOS.

No Wi-Fi calling. Since Verizon is selling minutes to MVNOs they probably don’t want to enable Wi-Fi calling.

You could port your number to Google Voice and forward to your cell phone’s native number, then you’ll have Wi-Fi calling and a lot of other benefits as well, like reading your texts in email and transcription of voice mail.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've got Verizon Prepaid unlimited and the TOS states it doesn't include any hotspot at all.. I've been able to use hotspot but only at about 60kbps download speed so not even good for emailing but it does work... If your planning on going unlimited I'll suggest Verizon prepaid unlimited over the MVNO'S because in my findings all the Verizon MVNO'S limit data on "unlimited" plans to 128kbps (some even to 64kbps) after you have used 20GB in a month... Not what i call unlimited data... I'd still recommend Verizon's prepaid over MVNO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Martin View Post
    Hotspot works on both my Android and iPhone on TW. It doesn’t violate TOS. Putting a TW SIM in a Verizon Jetpack does violate TOS.

No Wi-Fi calling. Since Verizon is selling minutes to MVNOs they probably don’t want to enable Wi-Fi calling.

You could port your number to Google Voice and forward to your cell phone’s native number, then you’ll have Wi-Fi calling and a lot of other benefits as well, like reading your texts in email and transcription of voice mail.
    I use GV with Tracfone on my iphone 6S and wifi calling works well. Also like the email option of voice transcripts. After my minutes/text/data are depleted, I'm moving to PagePlus and trying them out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast