Thread: Buying a new phone keeping sim card

Feedback Score

Buying a new phone keeping sim card

Right now I have an iPhone 5s on Tracfone. It uses the Verizon network. Is there a certain model I need to buy in a 6s to be able to just put my SIM card in it? Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
    Right now I have an iPhone 5s on Tracfone. It uses the Verizon network. Is there a certain model I need to buy in a 6s to be able to just put my SIM card in it? Thanks.
    NOTE ON THE 5S: Verizon makes Tracfone ask for the IMEI of any phone. So Tracfone has the 5s IMEI and the SIM card tied together.
    If you SIM swap to a new 6s you must not try to reactivate the 5s with Verizon service, or the swapped SIM will be deactivated by Tracfone and you lose the phone number and airtime (one active SIM per IMEI). AT&T and T-Mobile do not require the IMEI.

If the 5s is Tracfone branded then Tracfone will also ask for the IMEI unless you re-activate with a Tracfone AT&T or T-Mobile BYOP SIM .

Feedback Score
    The iPhone 5s is not VoLTE capable, so likely your TracFone account would not be VoLTE provisioned either. This is usually done with a new activation. You need VoLTE because of the Verizon CDMA shutdown end of year.

Looks like the iPhone 6s A1633 is the most common. A1688 should work as well.
    https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-6s-...s-differences/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    NOTE ON THE 5S: Verizon makes Tracfone ask for the IMEI of any phone. So Tracfone has the 5s IMEI and the SIM card tied together.
    If you SIM swap to a new 6s you must not try to reactivate the 5s with Verizon service, or the swapped SIM will be deactivated by Tracfone and you lose the phone number and airtime (one active SIM per IMEI). AT&T and T-Mobile do not require the IMEI.

If the 5s is Tracfone branded then Tracfone will also ask for the IMEI unless you re-activate with a Tracfone AT&T or T-Mobile BYOP SIM .
    I feel like you are speaking a different language..
    The 5s was not purchased from TF. It is cracked and will not be reused. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Sorry I’m confused.. so you think either model will work with my SIM card or I’ll have issues because of VoLTE? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
    Sorry I’m confused.. so you think either model will work with my SIM card or I’ll have issues because of VoLTE? Thanks.
    Sorry for any confusion. The 5s SIM card may operate in a 6s, but will not give you VoLTE because the 5s TF account is not provisioned for it. There is an outside chance the account is already VoLTE provisioned, and will work by putting a capable phone on the network. My guess is not, but can be tested by putting the 5s SIM in a 6s. If not, a service transfer from the 5s to a 6s will rectify this.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Tracfancier...I plan to activate a HSN LG Rebel 4/bundle with a transfer from a LG Rebel 3. As I recall, I can re-activate the 3 with the original sim, right?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The transfer from 3 to 4 would break any IMEI/SIM tie unless there is extra undisclosed phone/SIM activity involved.
    The old Rebel 3 SIM is Verizon so it can be reused for reactivation.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Ummm... extra undisclosed phone/SIM activity involved?? Sorry, turning senile...i do, however, make new friends lmost every day.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Ummm... extra undisclosed phone/SIM activity involved??
    Meaning you properly activated the Rebel 3 and the included SIM then do a transfer to the 4 and it's included SIM.

No SIM swaps. Just normal activations/transferes.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Meaning you properly activated the Rebel 3 and the included SIM then do a transfer to the 4 and it's included SIM.

No SIM swaps. Just normal activations/transferes.
    He has previously confessed he does not keep records nor remember all his SIM swaps.
    He may not know what phones and SIM`s are tied together.
    This makes it difficult to answer him with confidence. Disclaimers of some sorts must be included.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    He has previously confessed he does not keep records nor remember all his SIM swaps.
    He may not know what phones and SIM`s are tied together.
    No doubt. I was just responding with what I was sure you meant.

I'm not much better off. I don't know which device my SIM is connected too. I messed around a lot trying to get VoLTE working.

I tried 611611 but can't find the matching phone.