Thread: Can Moto X 1st gen (XT1053)still be activated on T-Mobile?

Feedback Score

Can Moto X 1st gen (XT1053)still be activated on T-Mobile?

Can Moto X 1st gen (XT1053) still be activated on T-Mobile?

I've had it for 5 years since new on AT&T, now may need to switch to T-Mobile because I barely have any AT&T service at my new job. It was sold by Motorola as unlocked phone compatible with T-Mobile.

I just checked IMEI on T-Mobile prepaid website and it says it is not compatible. Is this because it needs 3G for voice and T-Mobile has already shut it down?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It's compatible but not optimal because it (AFAIK) lacks LTE band 12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It's compatible but not optimal because it (AFAIK) lacks LTE band 12.
    Thank you. Do you know how exactly will it manifest itself? I am in NYC.

PS: just checked: Mint Mobile accepts my IMEI.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    Thank you. Do you know how exactly will it manifest itself? I am in NYC.
    According to GSMarena.com, the XT1053 has 3G bands 1, 2, 4, 5 & 8 and LTE bands 2, 4, & 17. In NYC T-Mobile uses LTE bands 2, 4, 12 and they're beginning to deploy band 71. 3G is limited to a single 5x5 MHz channel in band 4. GSM is a minimal signal running in the guard bands of LTE band 2.

Band 12 provides coverage and indoor signal advantages. Without it you may have more dead spots indoors and out.

One of the issues is that NYC is such a congested market that it's best to have a phone with all the bands, Carrier Aggregation (CA) and Multiple-Input-Multiple-Output (MIMO). These tend to be fairly spendy.

Your XT1053 should work OK but may have moments of slow data and maybe dropped calls, etc.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I wanted to replace it with Galaxy S10e but I am glad I waited because Samsung Community forum is full of serious complaints. So I would like to get some life out of my Moto X until Samsung fixes problems or something else comes along. Since my office is actually the only place I have problems I will probably just stay with AT&T.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    what's wrong with the s10e I have the plus and I gave the E to my girl and she has had zero issues

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10+ using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    what's wrong with the s10e I have the plus and I gave the E to my girl and she has had zero issues

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10+ using Tapatalk
    Check https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...help-GalaxyS10. No/intermittent LTE connectivity, Bluetooth issues, proximity sensor issues.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Metro by T-Mobile will give you a free phone with four choices in phones ( LG, Samsung or Moto) that all will work better than your Moto X. T-Mobile uses cell phone bands 2, 4, 5 ( SC only), 12, 46, 66 and 71. In NYC with out Band 12 your Moto X is just a little better than a brick due to signal penetration issues. Since you said AT&T didn’t work at your new job I would think that it could be a building penetration issue that may require T-Mobile’s Band 12 and 71 to get reception. I would be surprised if the Moto X even supports voice over WiFi.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you want to save a couple bucks... LG G7 is $480 and a CAT16.
    I have an original Moto X Pure, which works with VoIP and band 12, but not VoWiFi.
    These are probably pretty cheap.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    Can Moto X 1st gen (XT1053) still be activated on T-Mobile?

I've had it for 5 years since new on AT&T, now may need to switch to T-Mobile because I barely have any AT&T service at my new job. It was sold by Motorola as unlocked phone compatible with T-Mobile.

I just checked IMEI on T-Mobile prepaid website and it says it is not compatible. Is this because it needs 3G for voice and T-Mobile has already shut it down?
    t-mobile not need activation, just put the activated t-mobile SIM in your unlocked phone, you are ready to go.

Feedback Score
    According to GSMarena.com, the XT1053 has 3G bands 1, 2, 4, 5 & 8 and LTE bands 2, 4, & 17. In NYC T-Mobile uses LTE bands 2, 4, 12 and they're beginning to deploy band 71. 3G is limited to a single 5x5 MHz channel in band 4. GSM is a minimal signal running in the guard bands of LTE band 2.

Band 12 provides coverage and indoor signal advantages. Without it you may have more dead spots indoors and out.

One of the issues is that NYC is such a congested market that it's best to have a phone with all the bands, Carrier Aggregation (CA) and Multiple-Input-Multiple-Output (MIMO). These tend to be fairly spendy.

Your XT1053 should work OK but may have moments of slow data and maybe dropped calls, etc.
    LTE band 17 is sub-band of band 12. it is interoperable with LTE band 12. your drop calls's claim is fake

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    LTE band 17 is sub-band of band 12. it is interoperable with LTE band 12. your drop calls's claim is fake
    Band 12 includes the lower 700 blocks A-C, band 17 is only blocks B & C. Band 12 and band 17 are not actually as "interoperable" as some might believe. In order for a band 12 phone to work on blocks B & C, the network must broadcast a band-12 band indicator. For a band 17 phone to work on blocks B & C, the network must broadcast a band 17 band indicator. It is possible for the network to broadcast both band 12 & 17 indicators at the same time. A band 12 phone will work on block A. A band 17 phone will not work on block A. In about 90% of T-Mobile's 700 MHz license footprint, they have only block A. In the few places where they have other blocks, they appear to run a 10x10 or 15x15 MHz band 12 signal and do not broadcast a band 17 indicator. In other words, I know of no place where a band 17 phone will work on T-Mobile's 700 MHz, unless it also supports band 12.

In the NYC market, no claim of dropped calls is "fake". Because the OP's phone is not capable of using T-Mobile's 700 MHz signal in NYC, dead spots and dropped calls when moving are highly likely.

P.S. From what I can find online, I don't think the X1 supports VoLTE. If this is the case, it will be limited to a single 5 MHz block of band 4 UMTS and what vestigial GSM they still run in NYC for voice service.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 04-04-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Moto X 1st Gen or XT1053 on T-Mobile has has 3G bands 2 & 4 and LTE bands 2 & 4. It is better than a brick or two tin cans with a string between the cans but it is still a terrible phone for T-Mobile's network. Since you can get a free higher quality phone from Metro by T-Mobile what is the point when you are paying full price for service you can't use?

Carrier(s)
    verzion
    Feedback Score
    Contact customer service and ask if it can

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Band 12 includes the lower 700 blocks A-C, band 17 is only blocks B & C. Band 12 and band 17 are not actually as "interoperable" as some might believe. In order for a band 12 phone to work on blocks B & C, the network must broadcast a band-12 band indicator. For a band 17 phone to work on blocks B & C, the network must broadcast a band 17 band indicator. It is possible for the network to broadcast both band 12 & 17 indicators at the same time. A band 12 phone will work on block A. A band 17 phone will not work on block A. In about 90% of T-Mobile's 700 MHz license footprint, they have only block A. In the few places where they have other blocks, they appear to run a 10x10 or 15x15 MHz band 12 signal and do not broadcast a band 17 indicator. In other words, I know of no place where a band 17 phone will work on T-Mobile's 700 MHz, unless it also supports band 12.

In the NYC market, no claim of dropped calls is "fake". Because the OP's phone is not capable of using T-Mobile's 700 MHz signal in NYC, dead spots and dropped calls when moving are highly likely.

P.S. From what I can find online, I don't think the X1 supports VoLTE. If this is the case, it will be limited to a single 5 MHz block of band 4 UMTS and what vestigial GSM they still run in NYC for voice service.
    Own many att old phone with LTE band 2/4/17 phone, all works very well on band 12 T-Mobile..