Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stir/Shaken requires VoLTE to validate robocalls?

Feedback Score

Stir/Shaken requires VoLTE to validate robocalls?

Verizon has said that Stir/Shaken was implemented for Verizon Wireless calls and yet with Voice over LTE disabled I was still getting calls from the same area code and exchange as my Verizon Wireless number.

I have since enabled voice over lte for voice calls only and will see if this works to eliminate these calls. They just implemented it recently. I went through FCC materials and other carriers like Sprint said Stir/Shaken is VoLTE only and Verizon mentioned VoLTE as supporting Stir/Shaken in its supporting documentation, and did not mention 3G technologies.

Almost all my robocalls were the same area code and exchange so if this now works, I will be much appreciative along with the free Call Filter to reduce the rest of them. I was getting hundreds of these calls over many years with no end in sight till now if Verizon’s technology actually will work with the VoLTE enabled which I will keep on.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Verizon has said that Stir/Shaken was implemented for Verizon Wireless calls and yet with Voice over LTE disabled I was still getting calls from the same area code and exchange as my Verizon Wireless numbe.

I have since enabled voice over lte for voice calls only and will see if this works to eliminate these calls. They just implemented it recently. I went thru FCC materials and other carriers like Sprint said Stir/Shaken is VoLTE only and Verizon mentioned VoLTE as supporting Stir/Shaken in its supporting documentation.

Almost all my robocalls were the same area code and exchange so if this now works, I will be much appreciative along with the free Call Filter to reduce the rest of them. I was getting hundreds of these calls over many years with no end in sight till now if Verizon’s technology actually will work with the VoLTE enabled which I will keep on.
    My guess is Verizon Wireless did not add this new technolgy to their ancient legacy 1X Voice network since it is going to be shutdown for voice use at the end of the year. My understanding is that 1X/EVDO will be left up for a couple more years on a thin layer for M2M devices that have a contract guarrenting that service but CDMA devices that are not in that contract will be blocked from accessing the CDMA bands. In addition is Verizon going to block calls who fail this authentiaction or is it going to display something in the caller id header letting you know it is unverifed? In addition is this feature only going to be avaible on select cellphones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    My guess is Verizon Wireless did not add this new technolgy to their ancient legacy 1X Voice network since it is going to be shutdown for voice use at the end of the year. My understanding is that 1X/EVDO will be left up for a couple more years on a thin layer for M2M devices that have a contract guarrenting that service but CDMA devices that are not in that contract will be blocked from accessing the CDMA bands. In addition is Verizon going to block calls who fail this authentiaction or is it going to display something in the caller id header letting you know it is unverifed? In addition is this feature only going to be avaible on select cellphones?
    Verizon has not said anything about specific cellphones for this technology, but I do presume the requirement was Voice over LTE even though Verizon has not mentioned this. I had an Iphone 5C upgraded to the IPhone 6S which fortunately has VoLTE. I use Wifi for data to save on costs so it was disabled. I had used the older non lte network for voice thinking it would reduce costs on data and be more robust as it was older and more evolved. But realizing that VoLTE seems to be a requirement for blocking robocalls, I have since enabled it and am hoping this works for allowing Shaken/Stir to work.

My guess is the authentication is all on the backend before call is sent to the phone but requires the voice over lte equipment to work. I don’t think call filter app is a requirement for it but if any software on the phone was required, that app would be able to enable it as it does allow for Caller ID with Name. I am in trial mode of the call filter app now which I presume reverts to the free basic version.

Considering legacy is being phased out, it didn’t make sense for them to add it to old equipment but it did make sense for me to enable voice over lte on my phone at this point in time as advantages are now more favorable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I use Wifi for data to save on costs so it was disabled. I had used the older non lte network for voice thinking it would reduce costs on data and be more robust as it was older and more evolved.
    VoLTE uses a separate core and separate APN specifically so VoLTE call data doesn’t use LTE internet data.
    iOS handles Caller ID with Name natively so I don’t even bother with the app. I’ve seen calls come in as “Possible Spam” or “Spam Caller” and simply not answer. From what I understand STIR/SHAKEN will prevent calls from making it to the phone in the first place.

Feedback Score
    are you using the free call filter version or the paid version ??
    the paid version has more features - https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...s/call-filter/
    and the "how to use guide" - https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-call-filter/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    VoLTE uses a separate core and separate APN specifically so VoLTE call data doesn’t use LTE internet data.
    iOS handles Caller ID with Name natively so I don’t even bother with the app. I’ve seen calls come in as “Possible Spam” or “Spam Caller” and simply not answer. From what I understand STIR/SHAKEN will prevent calls from making it to the phone in the first place.
    Even knowing VoLTE won’t cost me any data fees, I felt it was more robust due to its deployment as being in use for a long time. They are phasing it out very soon so it has to be enabled at any rate and likely the switchover function will make phone unusable if set off when network is shutdown. Presumably a future ios revision or carrier update will remove this. I am not sure how the feature is implemented. I was using the trial version of Call Filter so I have the paid trial version for a few more days. App is the latest revision so it should revert to the free plan.

I realize Stir/Shaken will be VoLTE but I presume it won’t require actual data from data plan as callerid with name works fine with data disabled but voice over lte enabled. The visual voicemail requires actual data to be transmitted from the data plan. The Stir/Shaken seems to work through SIP already in the phone network itself as VoLTE essentially is like VoIP but uses the LTE phone network itself. In theory Stir/Shaken could be implemented in CDMA networks like Verizon has but VoLTE is where things are now and also lowers costs compared to circuit switching and improves spectral efficiency and the like.

Feedback Score
    Considering VoLTE will be required once CDMA is shut down I'm not seeing the issue.

A virtually impossible but finitely improbable location
    Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Shaken Stir is also compatible with landlines - as it is a system that runs along the phone system's backbone... As such, VOLTE is NOT required, although that may allow greater functionality and information to the end user.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Boulevard View Post
    Shaken Stir is also compatible with landlines - as it is a system that runs along the phone system's backbone... As such, VOLTE is NOT required, although that may allow greater functionality and information to the end user.
    Once again is doesn't matter since VoLTE is the only way you're going to be make to make calls on Verizon in about 270 days

Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Remember, Verizon is also a land line company... That isn't volte. Its mainly VoIP. But have they completely done away with POTS?

Feedback Score
    Remember, Verizon is also a land line company... That isn't volte. Its mainly VoIP. But have they completely done away with POTS?
    This forum isn't about landlines, it says Verizon WIRELESS. Also very few people have Verizon landlines and no one gives a crap.

Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    Well it's obvious you don't give a crap. I was illustrating a point about whether volte was necessary for shaken stirr. It's not.

Feedback Score
    Well it's obvious you don't give a crap. I was illustrating a point about whether volte was necessary for shaken stirr. It's not.
    Let me make this more clear to you since reading comprehension is not a strong suit for you wise guy. VoLTE is necessary for CELL PHONE SERVICE if you want to use shaken/stir

Device(s)
    Note 8
    Feedback Score
    I'm sorry, I dont know where you got your information, but Shaken Stir is a back-end system that will protect ALL calls. The requirement by the FCC is that all calls be certified by the end of the year. This includes all calls on all networks, landline, 3/4g and Volte. 3/4g isn't going away until about 2022, so in order to meet FCC requirements, all calls must be certified by the end of the year. While it is true that VOLTE offers additional tools to be able to display more information on these calls, but according to the white-papers and the way that Shaken Stirr is being implemented on the back end, it does NOT REQUIRE VoLTE.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon app s not compatible with all android phones.
    I have a OnePlus 6T that is certified compatible with Verizon. The back end system tells me my phone is incompatible.
    The phone will attempt to active the app and it fails.
    Not a big deal. I recently switched to the Google Phone app that has spam filtering and blocking.
    I also enabled "Do Not Disturb Mode" and only contacts are allowed through.
    This fails sometimes, but it's been mostly effective.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast