Thread: activating AT&T phone

Feedback Score

activating AT&T phone

Just contacted PPC and gave them the IMEI for an AT&T unlocked Galaxy S8 phone. PPC says the IMEI is certified and the phone can be activated on their network. They insist this is the case, even though it's not a Verizon phone and AT&T is GSM, not CDMA. If this is true, then all their phone spec requirements are incorrect. Am I missing something here, or does it seem doubtful that this phone would actually work on PPC's network? Thanks!

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4, Samsung J7 Neo.
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Page Plus, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    That phone is CDMA and GSM so it should work.

Feedback Score
    Looked at the Amazon description, it says: US Version. Works on all GSM carriers. Will not work on CDMA carriers. Plus, PPC originally told me the phone must be CDMA-only, not combined CDMA-GSM. Seems like their info changes every time I talk to them. Their FAQ says it must be a Verizon-unlocked CDMA phone. But much of their FAQ is incorrect, way overdue for an update. Just hate to buy a phone after verifying the IMEI, only to find it doesn't work. And the phones sold by PPC tend to be way overpriced.

Feedback Score
    The CSRs read from a book and sometimes skip a page. Truly unlocked universal CDMA/GSM phones are fine on PPC. Amazon and other retailers cut and past descriptions and don't always edit them to be specific. Case in point if their description says Verizon and all GSM carriers and also says will not work on CDMA carriers. Some unlocked CDMA/GSMs won't work on Sprint which is cdma but will on Verizon.
    What's the specific model # of your S8 ? That may help tell the story unless all S8s are universal unlocked, I don't know the phone specs.
    CellularDude....are all S8s cdma/gsm? Or model dependent?

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4, Samsung J7 Neo.
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Page Plus, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    CellularDude....are all S8s cdma/gsm? Or model dependent?
    I haven't done any investigation into it being a fact but everyone I've talked to that's into Samsung's say "yes" on these new high end models in recent years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opus543 View Post
    Looked at the Amazon description, it says: US Version. Works on all GSM carriers. Will not work on CDMA carriers. Plus, PPC originally told me the phone must be CDMA-only, not combined CDMA-GSM. Seems like their info changes every time I talk to them. Their FAQ says it must be a Verizon-unlocked CDMA phone. But much of their FAQ is incorrect, way overdue for an update. Just hate to buy a phone after verifying the IMEI, only to find it doesn't work. And the phones sold by PPC tend to be way overpriced.
    did you try entering the phones IMEI / MEID
    on page pluses website ?? my moto G5s plus factory unlocked
    both pass IMEI / MEID checks.

there are some phones (seen at some walmarts) that say unlocked
    but the fine print on the back of the box that says the phone will not work
    on Verizon or Sprint

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opus543 View Post
    Just contacted PPC and gave them the IMEI for an AT&T unlocked Galaxy S8 phone. PPC says the IMEI is certified and the phone can be activated on their network. They insist this is the case, even though it's not a Verizon phone and AT&T is GSM, not CDMA. If this is true, then all their phone spec requirements are incorrect. Am I missing something here, or does it seem doubtful that this phone would actually work on PPC's network? Thanks!
    I think some of this was already discussed at https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...uying-4G-phone .

But in any case, if PPC says the ESN is clear for activation on PPC, it will work on PPC.

Feedback Score
    In my life problems happen even if I don't manufacture them.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, hypersensitive, crass, immoral psychopathic traitor, narcissist liar committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19