Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can you just swap SIM for new BYOP on TracFone, VZW network?

Feedback Score

Can you just swap SIM for new BYOP on TracFone, VZW network?

I posted a thread earlier about issues trying to find my wife a Galaxy S9 that would work on TracFone, on the VZW network.

Short rewind: I bought her a used one on Swappa but the IMEI didn't come back as eligible (not on TracFone or ANY Verizon MVNO), I figured it was the issue where VZW is penalizing MVNOs for activating any phone that has previously been on main VZW.

Anyway, I got a refund for that, and last night for her birthday bought her a brand-new S9, never activated, in purple as she desired, from Best Buy. Was an ouch but that's the phone she wanted and they were nice enough to check the IMEI for me which showed good to go.

My question ... and I've tried to research it but am getting different signals ... can we just pull the SIM out of her S5 and, after trimming it down to Nano size, stick in the S9, or do we have to do anything through customer service? (Unlike others, I've never had one iota of trouble with TracFone customer service but I'd rather not have to deal with anything I don't have to. We do have another BYOD SIM in hand if it's necessary, though.)

And if we just stick the SIM in, do we have to make any APN changes, etc.

Thanks in advice for any help!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can cut the SIM and swap it into the S9. The APN settings will be the same, but I'm not sure whether the APN is stored on the SIM, or sent to the phone when it is first connected to the network, or comes pre-programmed on the phone, I've done some testing but never reached a solid conclusion.

If I were doing it, I'd do a transfer from the S5 SIM to a new nano SIM. The main reason is not to have any entanglement between the two phones; the S5 would be "free and clear", can be reactivated as a backup phone, or sold/given away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can cut the SIM and swap it into the S9. The APN settings will be the same, but I'm not sure whether the APN is stored on the SIM, or sent to the phone when it is first connected to the network, or comes pre-programmed on the phone, I've done some testing but never reached a solid conclusion.

If I were doing it, I'd do a transfer from the S5 SIM to a new nano SIM. The main reason is not to have any entanglement between the two phones; the S5 would be "free and clear", can be reactivated as a backup phone, or sold/given away.
    Can that be done without customer service? If not it's OK, like I said I've never had an issue with their customer service.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    Can that be done without customer service? If not it's OK, like I said I've never had an issue with their customer service.
    You can do it online if you don't mind risking the loss of your phone number and/or balances. Use the following steps:
    1. Log into your TF account online.
    2. At the top of the screen, on a light-blue line, select ADD DEVICE. Enter the new BYOP TF/VZ nano SIM number.
    3. After the new SIM has been added, click on ACTIVATE next to it.
    4. It'll ask for the IMEI of the S9, and after verifying that it's on the whitelist, it'll proceed with the activation process.
    5. When it asks if you want to KEEP YOUR PHONE NUMBER, reply Yes. It'll present a list of phone(s) in your account, select the number for the S5. It'll transfer everything (phone number, balances, days) from the S5 SIM to the new SIM.

Since you'll be staying with the same carrier (TF/Verizon), the transfer should be immediate, and the risk of losing your phone number & balances is low. But if the balances are large and the phone number is important, I'd contact TF via Chat and let the rep do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can do it online if you don't mind risking the loss of your phone number and/or balances. Use the following steps:
    1. Log into your TF account online.
    2. At the top of the screen, on a light-blue line, select ADD DEVICE. Enter the new BYOP TF/VZ nano SIM number.
    3. After the new SIM has been added, click on ACTIVATE next to it.
    4. It'll ask for the IMEI of the S9, and after verifying that it's on the whitelist, it'll proceed with the activation process.
    5. When it asks if you want to KEEP YOUR PHONE NUMBER, reply Yes. It'll present a list of phone(s) in your account, select the number for the S5. It'll transfer everything (phone number, balances, days) from the S5 SIM to the new SIM.

Since you'll be staying with the same carrier (TF/Verizon), the transfer should be immediate, and the risk of losing your phone number & balances is low. But if the balances are large and the phone number is important, I'd contact TF via Chat and let the rep do it.
    Chat it will be, thanks for your help!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    a brand-new S9,
    Verizon branded GS9 (SM-G960UZPV) or unbranded/unlocked GS9(SM-G960UZPAXAA)?

One reason to activate with new SIM would be to enable VoLTE/HD Voice and VVM whIch probably aren't provisioned on the old SIM.

But the Verizon branded GS9 may require a Verizon account to enable those features.

I would have been tempted to get the unlocked 128GB version on Amazon for $50 more.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFHZSJC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Verizon branded GS9 (SM-G960UZPV) or unbranded/unlocked GS9(SM-G960UZPAXAA)?

One reason to activate with new SIM would be to enable VoLTE/HD Voice and VVM whIch probably aren't provisioned on the old SIM.

But the Verizon branded GS9 may require a Verizon account to enable those features.

I would have been tempted to get the unlocked 128GB version on Amazon for $50 more.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFHZSJC

Verizon branded.

My wife could care less about those things. (That's why she's on TracFone.)

She wanted a purple S9 ... she likes Samsung products ... that she can make calls on and text, and that her Weight Watchers app works on. Period.

Purple is her favorite color. Our wedding color was purple. I had a purple tie and cummerbund. The bridesmaids all had purple dresses. Our wedding cake had purple icing. The Tech 21 case I bought her for the phone is purple.

Reason I'm chasing down this rabbit hole is Mama wanted the phone at BestBuy last night, period. And when Mama ain't happy ...

Feedback Score
    Verizon branded.

My wife could care less about those things [VoLTE]. (That's why she's on TracFone.)...
    You will need VoLTE to work at the end of 2019. Verizon is shutting down CDMA voice.

So far, the certain way of getting Verizon VoLTE provisioned on a TF line is to activate a new SIM. Maybe closer to the deadline they will try to mass provision all the lines. I would not trust TF to get that right.

Chat is the safest way to transfer from one phone to another. Start the session with getting them to tell you your balances for the record. Copy the chat window text to a text file as you go. You can't count on them to email it to you or for the email button to work.

I have done this twice with no problems.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Verizon branded.

My wife could care less about those things. (That's why she's on TracFone.)
    The unlocked version is $100 less even at BestBuy. The one I linked is purple. But I get she wanted it now.

VoLTE matters since it's required come Jan when Verizon shuts off CDMA voice and data.

It remains to be seen how Verizon will handle all the branded devices that need a Verizon account to enable VoLTE. Currently. I don't know of a way around that. I have several branded phones that can't be used because of it.

I've not seen anyone report that they can get VoLTE working on a Verizon branded GSx (5 - 10) on TF. Only unlocked/unbranded or TF sold/branded.

Feedback Score
    The unlocked version is $100 less even at BestBuy. The one I linked is purple. But I get she wanted it now.

VoLTE matters since it's required come Jan when Verizon shuts off CDMA voice and data.

It remains to be seen how Verizon will handle all the branded devices that need a Verizon account to enable VoLTE. Currently. I don't know of a way around that. I have several branded phones that can't be used because of it.

I've not seen anyone report that they can get VoLTE working on a Verizon branded GSx (5 - 10) on TF. Only unlocked/unbranded or TF sold/branded.
    I was differentiating between HD Voice and VVM, and VoLTE, in "what didn't matter." Quite aware VoLTE matters.

I had looked at those phones on Amazon but if you look at the reviews, an awful lot of people got stuck with lemons and that scared me off. I already had to send one phone back when the Swappa transaction didn't work out, didn't want to go through that trouble again.

I'm not one to "take chances." I thought by getting a brand new VZW branded phone, and running IMEI check that came back OK, I was getting a sure thing. Should've looked at the zillion page thread in this forum on TF and VoLTE, I guess. I figured the branded was much more likely to work OK ... and to get those extras ... than unlocked. My experience in past was that unlocked ones were problematic on MVNOs.

I'll talk to the Mrs. and see what she wants to do. The phone hasn't left the box, we could take it back.

Leaning toward just activating on new SIM with TF and if the thing craps out on Jan. 1, port her to Page Plus and the $12 a month plan, which should more than accommodate her usage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Activate and see what happens.
    Don't do a full setup, moving media or installing all apps.

You can test with an app like LTE Discovery and see if you get VoLTE.

If VoLTE works, great.
    If not have to make the call, use and see if VZW fixes it, or return and get unlocked version that doesn't use MyVerizon.

Normally the branded device is the safe bet, but this whole VoLTE/MyVerizon thing throws a wrench in things.

Page Plus will have the same VoLTE requirement.

You could move to TF w/ AT&T or T-Mobile SIM if service is good there. The GS9 should work fine on either.

Feedback Score
    Activate and see what happens.
    Don't do a full setup, moving media or installing all apps.

You can test with an app like LTE Discovery and see if you get VoLTE.

If VoLTE works, great.
    If not have to make the call, use and see if VZW fixes it, or return and get unlocked version that doesn't use MyVerizon.

Normally the branded device is the safe bet, but this whole VoLTE/MyVerizon thing throws a wrench in things.

Page Plus will have the same VoLTE requirement.

You could move to TF w/ AT&T or T-Mobile SIM if service is good there. The GS9 should work fine on either.

Should her S5 be getting VoLTE? I can check it tonight.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Should her S5 be getting VoLTE? I can check it tonight.
    Depends on when the SIM was activated. Check the big VoLTE thread, I think late 2017 but maybe early 2018.

No way to know if it's on the account except use in a phone known to work.

But 95% certain the GS5 will have the MyVerizon limitation.

Feedback Score
    If VoLTE works, great.
    If not have to make the call, use and see if VZW fixes it, or return and get unlocked version that doesn't use MyVerizon..
    Best Buy charges a $35 restocking fee for Verizon and unlocked phones. Doubt they will accept failure to activate on an MVNO as a valid claim for a defective phone return.

Feedback Score
    Depends on when the SIM was activated. Check the big VoLTE thread, I think late 2017 but maybe early 2018.
    Somewhere around mid-2018 when VoLTE provisioning on TF activations started being reported.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast