Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AT&T has the 'fastest wireless network' in the US

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Have you been seeing new coverage, or density in weak areas? Both?

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk
    I guess Brooklyn was improved before my area. There are lots of highrises by me with new ones going up so perhaps the antenna placement will change over time. All AT&T needs would be a small cell right behind me on the telephone poll and/or lamp posts as they already have fiber optics right by it. As 5G gets deployed in NYC, hopefully we will see more of this.

RootMetrics CoverageMap has shown my burst download speed has increased from 80s to 100Mbps on my ipad mini 4. I guess AT&T did upgrade us. I never achieved 100Mbps before as burst speed ever. Can concur, AT&T is the fastest wireless provider. No way am I switching to Verizon and paying more.

Taken in Forest Hills, NY in the afternoon. Speeds were on average in the 20’s and bursts which previously hit 80s hit 100Mbps. When I get my next tablet upgrade and stay on AT&T obviously speeds will go up further due to added bands.

This eliminates the previous tmobile speed advantage. I guess the permit I noticed was indeed AT&T and my connection was put back on that tower and testing and tweaking was completed as it would have been impossible for 100Mbps without a significant upgrade at the tower level.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 04-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I guess Brooklyn was improved before my area. There are lots of highrises by me with new ones going up so perhaps the antenna placement will change over time. All AT&T needs would be a small cell right behind me on the telephone poll and/or lamp posts as they already have fiber optics right by it. As 5G gets deployed in NYC, hopefully we will see more of this.

RootMetrics CoverageMap has shown my burst download speed has increased from 80s to 100Mbps on my ipad mini 4. I guess AT&T did upgrade us. I never achieved 100Mbps before as burst speed ever. Can concur, AT&T is the fastest wireless provider. No way am I switching to Verizon and paying more.

Taken in Forest Hills, NY in the afternoon. Speeds were on average in the 20’s and bursts which previously hit 80s hit 100Mbps. When I get my next tablet upgrade and stay on AT&T obviously speeds will go up further due to added bands.

This eliminates the previous tmobile speed advantage. I guess the permit I noticed was indeed AT&T and my connection was put back on that tower and testing and tweaking was completed as it would have been impossible for 100Mbps without a significant upgrade at the tower level.
    I'd bet you'd easily hit 150+ off peak with a new device. Not only would you be aggregating more bands, but you'd be aggregating multiple bands with 3 or more bands having 4x4 mimo.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Of course it is. It is 5Ge after all.
    Durham, NC

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

AT&T has the 'fastest wireless network' in the US

Don’t know if AT&T is the fastest in CT, but I would say they are very reliable here. Very rarely do I have any network issues. Verizon is very good in CT as well. When it comes to network quality, reliability is what’s more important to me. Speed is just extra gravy on top.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd bet you'd easily hit 150+ off peak with a new device. Not only would you be aggregating more bands, but you'd be aggregating multiple bands with 3 or more bands having 4x4 mimo.

New Ipad mini 5 has the added bands. When I update, will get the mini 5 or mini 6 or whatnot. Not ready to update yet as this meets all my needs for now. The mini 5 may perform quite well on other carriers like Tmobile due to 700 spectrum but AT&T will perform fastest on the device from what I see right now.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I haven’t seen any new AT&T sites where I live but they’re lighting up more spectrum at quite a rapid pace. In the NYC area , they were terrible a few years ago. Small cells , lots of LAA, and more spectrum really gave them a jolt.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I haven’t seen any new AT&T sites where I live but they’re lighting up more spectrum at quite a rapid pace. In the NYC area , they were terrible a few years ago. Small cells , lots of LAA, and more spectrum really gave them a jolt.
    I ran tests again and got 117Mbps burst rate. That speed seems quite good for an ipad mini 4. I guess the device can handle over 100Mbps. Somehow I thought it was limited in speed to 100Mbps over the mobile bands. The device can do faster on wifi connections as I have seen. Does anyone know the maximum speeds a mini 4 can handle over mobile? AT&T seems to be able to max out the speeds compared to the other carriers.

NYC seems to be benefiting from Firstnet buildout and new equipment to support the eventual 5G deployment. AT&T has a huge backhaul advantage for its fiber optics network and has a significant amount of high quality spectrum and they are devoting all their resources to making a quality network. Verizon still has a slight coverage advantage over AT&T but since they have more customers consuming more data, they obviously have to activate more spectrum and improve their backhaul.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Speed burst means nothing, it gives nothing to user experience. Except bragging rights.

Any speed that is over 30-50 Mbps is working the same for video watching, web page browsing...
    Latency might make a difference, but once you are under 50ms, it's doubtful you can perceive any improvements in daily use.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Speed burst means nothing, it gives nothing to user experience. Except bragging rights.

Any speed that is over 30-50 Mbps is working the same for video watching, web page browsing...
    Latency might make a difference, but once you are under 50ms, it's doubtful you can perceive any improvements in daily use.
    It shows that the capacity is there at peak times, aside from bragging rights. But really at this point, bragging rights is 200+ mbps.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It shows that the capacity is there at peak times, aside from bragging rights. But really at this point, bragging rights is 200+ mbps.

Agreed 100%. Looking at some of the speeds that Airb has posted from Disney, the network can saturate quickly which is why that extra capacity is so important.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Agreed 100%. Looking at some of the speeds that Airb has posted from Disney, the network can saturate quickly which is why that extra capacity is so important.
    That’s the problem with Verizon. As good as their network is, what happens in a market where they’re becoming saturated? They don’t have much left in their arsenal to deploy ( especially on their existing macro grid)

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Definitely added capacity at this site the past few weeks..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by buckspaul View Post
    Definitely added capacity at this site the past few weeks..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    There could be issues in the ipad mini 4 bands where at times internet connectivity is poor. I am wondering if the newer device fixes that due to the added bands. Perhaps it does, but I am not ready to upgrade yet and with 5G on the horizon, the next ipads will all be 5G equipped. 5G means even faster speeds and lower latencies which is a game changer.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Close to Disneyland in Anaheim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2