Thread: Really confused about VOLTE and WiFi calling

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Really confused about VOLTE and WiFi calling

I have read and reread most of the posts on here and also googled this topic but I'm still a little confused.

May I ask a few questions?

If I bring my phone with me that's a Huawei Mate 10 pro to AT&T prepaid, will these features be available, OR, Do I have to purchase an AT&T branded/locked phone from AT&T in order to have these features available.

Same question if I would want to take my phone to Cricket and whoever else offers these features. Would they work on my unlocked phone or would I have to purchase one of theirs. Is there a list somewhere of providers who offer these features? I'm currently with H2O and I've seen no mention of it anywhere on their site.

Then, once VOLTE and WiFi are set up, in order to get HD voice you would have to be communicating with someone else who has the same exact set up? If the other party didn't have this exact set up would the calls be any clearer or just what I'm used to now? And would you also have to be in a certain geographical area to have everything work properly?

So, the stars and moon and all the planets have to align just right?

Also, when a provider does offer VOLTE and or WiFi calling, do they charge extra for it? Do you have to request it be provisioned on your phone?

I also realize that your phone must support these features and I'm not positive but I think mine does. Not sure about WiFi calling though.

I'm going to be porting my number to another carrier and I'm debating between AT&T prepaid and Cricket but if anyone had any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Looking for one line of unlimited talk and text and in the 5 to 8 GB of data range hopefully staying around $40.00 with taxes and fees included.

Thanks guys.....

Feedback Score
    it all depends if 1- the phone is VoLTE / WIFI Calling compatible. 2 - if VoLTE / Wifi calling is available in your area. not all areas have it for AT&T prepaid. cricket wireless does have VoLTE / WIFI calling.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Actually both VoLTE [Voice over LTE (Long-Term Evolution)] and Wi-Fi calling are very easy to understand as both are VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) that means using Internet connection which is packet switched technology to complete voice call instead of circuit switched technology such as landline and traditional cellular phone calls. The difference between VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling is that the former is using mobile Internet connection namely LTE while the latter is using fixed location Internet connection namely Wi-Fi. Therefore, you are talking VoIP.

The reason you are confused is the intended result of carriers (such as AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon). They make VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling sound like two separated new features that only their network has it, and only their devices support it. The ultimate goal is having their customers pay for devices that is best fitted for their network. Even those devices is unlocked to competitors’ network, it will be inferior on competitor’s network as they will not be perfectly fitted.

You certainly have the correct understanding of computer network as to “the stars and moon and all the planets have to align just right”. The peak system performance is limited to the worst performing component just as the maximum traffic flow is limited at the narrowest section (fewest lanes).

Try to understand VoIP as e-mail that actually is mail over Internet Protocol. How many people are still using e-mail address provided by ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Aren’t most people using Gmail for almost a decade by now? For exact same reasons, I would not recommend anyone continue to have her/his telephone number hosted by telephone company. Instead, I recommend people port their telephone number to Google Voice (cost $20 to port in but no monthly fee) and use the telephone number via Hangouts for full VoIP feature free of charge. If you search this very forum, you will find plenty of old threads on this specific topic.

Hangouts do offer unlimited talk and text to Canada and United States telephone numbers. For 5GB LTE monthly mobile data on AT&T network, the cheapest plan I know is prepay whole year for $149.99 via https://shop.freedompop.com/product/...IM-DOTRIVDKT06

Telephone number provided by FreedomPop is also VoIP, but I would still only use your own telephone number port into Google Voice via Hangouts to avoid future porting.

All VoIP telephone numbers can make outgoing and receive incoming calls as long as there is good Internet connection regardless actual location. In other words, one can make and receive calls outside of United States. While both Google and FreedomPop do not charge anything for this feature, mobile phone companies normally charge this service as international calls.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    it all depends if 1- the phone is VoLTE / WIFI Calling compatible. 2 - if VoLTE / Wifi calling is available in your area. not all areas have it for AT&T prepaid. cricket wireless does have VoLTE / WIFI calling.
    Thanks for your response. I'm still trying to determine if my Huawei Mate 10 pro is VoLTE/WiFi capable. There is a setting for HD voice?

I also will have to check if it's available in my area (central PA).

So, as far as Cricket goes, do they offer it in all areas unlike AT&T?

I'm trying to determine which carrier I should go with in order to have the best chance to get these features.

Thanks again.....

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Actually both VoLTE [Voice over LTE (Long-Term Evolution)] and Wi-Fi calling are very easy to understand as both are VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) that means using Internet connection which is packet switched technology to complete voice call instead of circuit switched technology such as landline and traditional cellular phone calls. The difference between VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling is that the former is using mobile Internet connection namely LTE while the latter is using fixed location Internet connection namely Wi-Fi. Therefore, you are talking VoIP.

The reason you are confused is the intended result of carriers (such as AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon). They make VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling sound like two separated new features that only their network has it, and only their devices support it. The ultimate goal is having their customers pay for devices that is best fitted for their network. Even those devices is unlocked to competitors’ network, it will be inferior on competitor’s network as they will not be perfectly fitted.

You certainly have the correct understanding of computer network as to “the stars and moon and all the planets have to align just right”. The peak system performance is limited to the worst performing component just as the maximum traffic flow is limited at the narrowest section (fewest lanes).

Try to understand VoIP as e-mail that actually is mail over Internet Protocol. How many people are still using e-mail address provided by ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Aren’t most people using Gmail for almost a decade by now? For exact same reasons, I would not recommend anyone continue to have her/his telephone number hosted by telephone company. Instead, I recommend people port their telephone number to Google Voice (cost $20 to port in but no monthly fee) and use the telephone number via Hangouts for full VoIP feature free of charge. If you search this very forum, you will find plenty of old threads on this specific topic.

Hangouts do offer unlimited talk and text to Canada and United States telephone numbers. For 5GB LTE monthly mobile data on AT&T network, the cheapest plan I know is prepay whole year for $149.99 via https://shop.freedompop.com/product/...IM-DOTRIVDKT06

Telephone number provided by FreedomPop is also VoIP, but I would still only use your own telephone number port into Google Voice via Hangouts to avoid future porting.

All VoIP telephone numbers can make outgoing and receive incoming calls as long as there is good Internet connection regardless actual location. In other words, one can make and receive calls outside of United States. While both Google and FreedomPop do not charge anything for this feature, mobile phone companies normally charge this service as international calls.
    Thank you also for such a detailed explanation.

I just have to do some more research on which phones are capable and which carriers are actually offering these services in my area (central PA).

One thing I'm still not straight on, do you need to buy a phone from the specific carrier to get these features, or as long as your unlocked phone is capable of them you should be able to receive them from any carrier?

Are there carriers that insist on you buying their phones in order to get these features?

Thanks a ton....

Feedback Score
    Just want to mention that the revamped Google Voice app. supports WiFi calling now and can be used instead of Hangouts. I have replaced Hangouts, which needs a separate Hangouts Dialer app. (to dialing phone), on all my smartphones with the Google Voice app.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Just want to mention that the revamped Google Voice app. supports WiFi calling now and can be used instead of Hangouts. I have replaced Hangouts, which needs a separate Hangouts Dialer app. (to dialing phone), on all my smartphones with the Google Voice app.
    Isn't Google Voice app still require a separated telephone number for forwarding?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Isn't Google Voice app still require a separated telephone number for forwarding?
    No........

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @ hoktrillian:

That depends on how you're using the service.

If someone calls your GV number and you've got cellular data always on and you intend to receive the calls through the app (installed on your device), then you don't need a line of service from a carrier.

But if you don't do data full time or can't rely on data coverage (or use a non-smart phone), you'd probably want to keep incoming GV calls forwarding to your native cell number as has been done for some years now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    Thank you also for such a detailed explanation.

I just have to do some more research on which phones are capable and which carriers are actually offering these services in my area (central PA).

One thing I'm still not straight on, do you need to buy a phone from the specific carrier to get these features, or as long as your unlocked phone is capable of them you should be able to receive them from any carrier?

Are there carriers that insist on you buying their phones in order to get these features?

Thanks a ton....
    I have an unlocked Note 9 on a recently activated Tracfone AT&T sim. Volte is enabled. Name:  Screenshot_20190405-111329_Phone.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  26.7 KB

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leeonine View Post
    I have an unlocked Note 9 on a recently activated Tracfone AT&T sim. Volte is enabled. Name:  Screenshot_20190405-111329_Phone.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  26.7 KB

Thanks for that information. So apparently you don't have to buy AT&T's phones to get this feature. Any sign of WiFi calling ?
    Last edited by curvefan; 04-05-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    Thanks for that information. So apparently you don't have to buy AT&T's phones to get this feature. Any sign of WiFi calling ?
    The setting is there, but it won't activate. You need to be an AT&T customer for that, I guess. I use Google voice for Wifi calling.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    The Pixel 3 is apparently allowed too.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.