Thread: Will WiFi Calling & Texting Work Abroad?

Feedback Score

Will WiFi Calling & Texting Work Abroad?

With WiFi calling in place does anyone know if we will be able to place and receive calls and standard sms texts over WiFi when overseas? (In countries other than Mexico and Canada where we already have roaming service).

Has anyone actually tried it yet?

Feedback Score
    are you talking about with AT&T prepaid or with other cellular carriers ?? don't think AT&T prepaid works abroad.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I meant with AT&T Prepaid. It’s true that in the past AT&T wouldn’t work outside of the US, Canada, and Mexico. However now that At&T Prepaid has rolled out WiFi calling I am wondering if calling and texting will now work in other countries over WiFi. (For those of us that have gotten WIFI Calling of course)

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid ($50 Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, AT&T Prepaid wifi calling and text worked for me overseas. It worked when I was abroad in Singapore. So glad AT&T got it activated for prepaid users so I could use my regular number to contact people back home instead of Whatsapp. AT&T's page for wifi calling also says it works overseas. But note the countries that are exceptions: China, Cuba, North Korea, India, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and Vietnam.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/fe...i-calling.html

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...258?gsi=4c0aay

Feedback Score
    Ok, that’s good to hear. Thanks for the first hand confirmation that wifi calling & texting will work abroad on Prepaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JTEX View Post
    Ok, that’s good to hear. Thanks for the first hand confirmation that wifi calling & texting will work abroad on Prepaid.
    Here and abroad, some Wifi sources block VoIP calling. My club blocks VoIP on our Wifi. It may be a default setting in SonicWall. Most people seem to report that it has worked where they tried it.