Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a TF Phone that comes with 1 year of service. Can I Transfer the service?

Device(s)
    SG S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone via T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Buying a TF Phone that comes with 1 year of service. Can I Transfer the service?

There are Tracfone Phones onsale on ebay and qvc that includes a 1 year of service with minutes/text/data for no extra charge.

Can I transfer the service onto another existing Tracfone account and different phone if I were to purchase any of them?

Has anyone here tried it so far?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We do it all the time. But you will need to activate the new phone WITH A TRANSFER FROM YOUR EXISTING PHONE, not the other way around. The service (phone number, bucket balances, days) from your existing phone will be transferred to the new phone first, then the bundled units/1-year are added to it. DO NOT activate the new phone without a transfer at the same time.

Feedback Score
    yes, there are threads about people harvesting the extra service days here is one example - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ing-ripped-off

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beev_ View Post
    There are Tracfone Phones onsale on ebay and qvc that includes a 1 year of service with minutes/text/data for no extra charge.

Can I transfer the service onto another existing Tracfone account and different phone if I were to purchase any of them?

Has anyone here tried it so far?
    Yes, this can be done but it is not always (never) easy.

First use Tracfone customer service chat and make sure you will get a transcript sent after it's done. Have them confirm the minutes/texts/data and service end date of the current phone. Then ask nicely to combine the minutes/texts/data and service days of the new one with your existing Tracfone. In order to do that you need to activate the new phone first. Verify that it has received the promotional service.

DO NOT TRANSFER THE NEW PHONE NUMBER ON TO YOUR OLD PHONE. You might lose your current phone number! This is where customer service says this is not possible to retain the current phone number. At this point you could hang up and try another agent.

There is another, more official way: don't activate the new phone. Verify the information of the old Tracfone and ask to transfer (= combine) your old phone service to the new phone. This way your phone number is transferred to the new phone and your current buckets of minutes/texts/data and service days should be added to the promotional service of the new phone. Verify all of this before and at the end of the chat!

If you want to keep your old phone either try to SIM swap or transfer everything back after a day or so.

Good luck!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The method hpham recommended is safer as it is a simple transfer-activation. MOST CSR`s can do this with the confidence of much experience.
    PinkBow`s method is for combining two ACTIVE phones onto one phone. FEW CSR`s have experience doing this and can mess it up.
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 04-04-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Device(s)
    SG S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone via T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I still want to keep my phone number and use my old more powerful phone.

If what I read is correct, I should do the following for it to work?

1. Activate new phone and transfer old number to it when activating.
    2. Wait a few days to be safe until old existing service combines with new service.
    3. After a few days, pop in the new sim card that came with the new phone back into the old phone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I still want to keep my phone number and use my old more powerful phone.

If what I read is correct, I should do the following for it to work?

1. Activate new phone and transfer old number to it when activating.
    2. Wait a few days to be safe until old existing service combines with new service.
    3. After a few days, pop in the new sim card that came with the new phone back into the old phone.
    Step 3 is doable if both the new phone and the old phone use the same carrier, and ideally the same SIM size. If the old phone uses one carrier (TF/AT&T for example) and the new phone uses another carrier (TF/Verizon for example), then you will need to TRANSFER service from the new phone back to the old phone. I've done that because my better phone uses TF/AT&T but most bundled phones nowadays use TF/Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you SIM swap the SIM stays tied to the phone (IMEI) it was activated in, so you cannot ever re-activate it or your SIM will be de-activated with loss of your valuable phone number and all the airtime. This is not a problem with Tracfone BYOP AT&T as Tracfone never knows the IMEI of the phone (different for a Tracfone branded phone). Verizon makes Tracfone record the IMEI of all phones using Verizon service.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If all you want the bundle for is the bundled airtime and the simplicity of SIM swapping, then go with the cheapest bundle. That way your not holding on to an expensive phone that cannot be sold, gifted or used with any Tracfone Company. All kinds of cheap bundles mentioned in this TF forum.

Device(s)
    SG S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone via T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If all you want the bundle for is the bundled airtime and the simplicity of SIM swapping, then go with the cheapest bundle. That way your not holding on to an expensive phone that cannot be sold, gifted or used with any Tracfone Company. All kinds of cheap bundles mentioned in this TF forum.
    Yeah, my current TF service is about to expire in a few weeks. I'm trying to see if I can add the bundled TF airtime to my old phone.

Right now, TF charges $125 for a 1 year service. The cheapest TF phone + 1 year bundled service right now is $60 on HSN (same amount of minutes/text/data as the $125 one on TF website). I'm basically trying to save myself $65 dollars.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The HSN Rebel 3 uses Verizon service. It has a Nano sized sim (the smallest). Is that the sized SIM your old phone uses? It is Verizon?

Buy the phone bundle, transfer the service from your old phone to activate the Rebel 3 with VoLTE activated, after all is proven set up correctly swap the SIM from the Rebel 3 back into your old phone (it is VoLTE capable right?), then put away the Rebel 3 to protect it`s IMEI from ever being used to activate a phone with Tracfone. The Rebel 3 can be later used for testing if the old phone + new SIM develops problems.

Device(s)
    SG S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone via T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The HSN Rebel 3 uses Verizon service. It has a Nano sized sim (the smallest). Is that the sized SIM your old phone uses? It is Verizon?
    I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S9+, International Version, on Tracfone (via T-Mobile TF Nano Sim Card).

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S9+, International Version, on Tracfone (via T-Mobile TF Nano Sim Card).
    The Rebel 3 is for Verizon service only. Will your S9+ work with verizon service and also how is the Verizon coverage? If Verizon will not work you will have to transfer the combined service back to the S9+, using a new SIM card.

To check Verizon coverage (non-roaming) - https://www.verizonwireless.com/feat...etter-matters/

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If HSN has the Rebel 3 in stock you would receive it in 5-7 days from time of order.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Step 3 is doable if both the new phone and the old phone use the same carrier, and ideally the same SIM size. If the old phone uses one carrier (TF/AT&T for example) and the new phone uses another carrier (TF/Verizon for example), then you will need to TRANSFER service from the new phone back to the old phone. I've done that because my better phone uses TF/AT&T but most bundled phones nowadays use TF/Verizon.
    If both phones use the Vzw network, can the original phone have the service on the new phone, which now presumably has the new phone's promo bundle and the original phone's balances combined together with the original phone's phone # , moved back using the same SIM card that was in the original phone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast