Thread: Can anyone explain me being on band 26

Feedback Score

Can anyone explain me being on band 26

So I was driving and checking out one tower where proposed band 71 was launched for T-Mobile. I was able to see band 2,4,5,66 and weirdly enough band 26 on that tower. Can anyone explain why would I see band 26??? Isn’t that sprint LTE band?? Also I didn’t lock into band 71 at that time when others claim they did.
    I know that T-Mobile and sprint is the only two carriers on that tower.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    And can anyone tell me how to post screen shots of pics here? I was able to do so while back but I can’t find the attach a picture button anywhere. That way I would post a screen shot of the field test.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Probably MFBI of Band 5 for Sprint roamers. Are you in or around Myrtle Beach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B4+B30+B66+B14 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz)
    Duluth, MN (Test is AT&T, eSIM causes glitch for Carrier)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Probably MFBI of Band 5 for Sprint roamers. Are you in or around Myrtle Beach?

Live in little river SC so basically yeah myrtle beach

Feedback Score
    Agreed, probably MFBI for B5.
    B26 is a superset of B5. I believe Ericsson RAN will broadcast MFBI by default.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That sounds about right. Most equipment nowadays is manufactured for the superset bands (B25, B26, B66, etc.) so any carrier can purchase and use it instead of making two different sets of equipment. That's why you'll see those bands pop up even if a carrier doesn't have a license for that spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    That sounds about right. Most equipment nowadays is manufactured for the superset bands (B25, B26, B66, etc.) so any carrier can purchase and use it instead of making two different sets of equipment. That's why you'll see those bands pop up even if a carrier doesn't have a license for that spectrum.
    Got ya thanks guys.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Seems this MFBI is being seen mostly on Apple. Just like B25 has been spotted on Verizon in southeast MI but I'm not seeing it on Android.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Sorry if this sounds like a quibble. I don't think that it's necessary for a base unit to support the superset frequencies (e.g. 859-869 MHz) to broadcast a MFBI. It just has to be compliant within the frequencies it can operate on. For instance, in Myrtle Beach, T-Mobile has an A-block cellular license (869-891.5 MHz). That's the only part of band 5 or 26 that it has to be standardized and approved to operate on but it can still broadcast both band 5 & 26 band indicators because the signal is entirely within either band.

Yes, it's in everyone's interests to deploy flexible base stations that can adapt to changing circumstances and T-Mobile has done this. It's just not necessary to broadcast a MFBI. The reason carrier's broadcast a MFBI is to be compatible with customers' handsets, which are not as flexible. For example, I don't know if AT&T's early band 17 base stations were approved for all of band 12 or not. This would not keep them from broadcasting a band 12 MFBI for their signal on blocks B & C.
    Donald Newcomb