Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hangouts: How to block ALL calls from foreign countries?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

Hangouts: How to block ALL calls from foreign countries?

over a decade ago, i transferred my cell # to google voice and everything's been fine. no spam what so ever.
    well, starting last month, i began getting phone calls with # like +994 758759629.

is there a way to block all #s from foreign countries instead of one by one?

and blocking one by one does no good since they never call back with the same #, based on my experiences with my home phone.
    the spammers never use the same # twice.

is there a way to do a mass block?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    over a decade ago, i transferred my cell # to google voice and everything's been fine. no spam what so ever.
    well, starting last month, i began getting phone calls with # like +994 758759629.

is there a way to block all #s from foreign countries instead of one by one?

and blocking one by one does no good since they never call back with the same #, based on my experiences with my home phone.
    the spammers never use the same # twice.

is there a way to do a mass block?
    I'm wondering the same thing with Google voice, is ridiculous the amount junk of calls I've been getting over the last 6 months, and that's with "filer spam" option on.
    You'd think somebody with the resources of Google could do a much better job, maybe they're to busy targeting opponents of Communism

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I don't think it can be done. The only good news is that they stop calling after a while. I don't know why but that's what usually happens.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My gv number isn't my main number so i just deleted mine because Google wanted $10 to change my number... I also got so much spam calls and I can't block them from a phone only from a computer which I'm not near alot of the time... If i can get a new gv number for free I'll sign up for one but if not I'll need to switch to text now even though I'll have to pay $3 per month

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Those that are having spam call issues on your GV #, do you have "Global Spam Filtering Send calls and text messages from numbers identified as spam by Google directly to the Spam folder" enabled in the GV settings?

I have 3 GV #s. A GV # I got when I first started using GV in 2009, my old home # I ported in into GV in 2015, and a new GV # I got for testing the GV app's new VoLTE capabilities in January, 2019. I haven't had spam call issues on any of my GV #s. I use all 3 GV #s over data only, so there's no carrier phone # involved that might contribute to spams.

To be fair, I've also had a TextNow phone # since August, 2018, and it hasn't received any spam calls. The one call I did receive to my TextNow # from an unknown # seems like it was just a misdial.

The one thing that I wish TextNow would fix is that replies to group messages come back as individual texts to my TextNow phone #, and even after several contacts with TextNow support, I hven't found a solution to that.

Whitieiii, why would you need to pay TextNow $3/mo? Would that be to remove ads from the app?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    My gv number isn't my main number so i just deleted mine because Google wanted $10 to change my number... I also got so much spam calls and I can't block them from a phone only from a computer which I'm not near alot of the time...
    You can block numbers with the Google Voice Android app. Tap the number in the call log, tap the 3 dot menu, tap "Block number"
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's another solution. It's not the best, but does work (tested myself few moments ago).

https://support.google.com/voice/for...4/K10_5HiRAgAJ

Specifically,

To allow only those people appearing in the man's All Contacts Google group (or "white list") to ring through to his verified Google Voice forwarding phones, all he needs to do is remove the check marks ☑ from all his verified forwarding phones appearing on the Google Voice Legacy version Phones tab in settings ⚙ (gear icon) using a computer (not a mobile device) when logged into his Google Voice account.

Removing the check marks from his forwarding phones on the Phones tab tells Google Voice not to ring these phones with Google Voice calls and these calls will go to the man's Google Voice voicemail without ringing his phones, but it will leave entries in his Spam, History, Missed calls, Voicemail tabs, etc., so he's aware that calls have come in. (this has no effect when callers dial his carrier issued phone number, those non-Google Voice calls will ring his phone)
    In essence, this sets up a white list of allowing contacts only to RING your forwarding phones/devices. Anyone not in the contacts will get forwarded to gv vm after the 20/25 seconds.

This is a great solution if you rarely receive calls from non contacts. Otherwise it may be a hassle for folks to wait the timeout period to leave you a message, then wait for your return call. Of course, you will always get the missed call notification alert (email/alert). I generally don't return calls unless a message was left. It's not a perfect solution but better than getting spammed.

If your spammed numbers all conform to a particular pattern, call treatments from call centric may be help. They used to offer a free inbound number (DID), but now it's $1. We use it for caller id name and e911 for our home phone so the $1 is negligible.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Here's another solution.
    Unfortunately, this is not a solution if you have a Wi-Fi only device (like my iPad) or a device/smartphone that has been set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data." Group membership has no effect in this case.

If you have the device enabled for incoming calls (in the new GV UI) it doesn't matter what you have selected in the Phones section or for Group membership in the Legacy version. The incoming call will still ring thru to your device. This makes me wonder if Groups will continue to be supported in Google Voice.

Edit: The exception to the above are OBi devices since they do show up in the Legacy version of Google Voice.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Thanks for the update. I didn't get as far as testing wifi calling. Ain't that a shame, so much for consistency.

The callcentric forwarding should not be affected as it's seen as just another forwarding # to gv. At worst you'll get a partial ring before the call is handed off to CC for vm or dumping.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The callcentric forwarding should not be affected as it's seen as just another forwarding # to gv. At worst you'll get a partial ring before the call is handed off to CC for vm or dumping.
    My experience has been that I get more than a "partial ring" when forwarding to CC. Faster call path, me thinks.
    I resorted to disabling the device for incoming calls in new GV UI and using a SIP client registered to Callcentric. Works well and I can still use GV app for SMS/MMS.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When forwarded to a carrier number I get no ring at all. When forwarded to softphone, I get the partial ring.

Mind you, aside from the extensions, there's a simultaneous ring destination to nomorobo via sipbroker. Further up in the treatment list (near the top) are rules for sending med/high spam type calls to the ivr.

Which sip client you using? Hows the battery draw when idle?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    When forwarded to a carrier number I get no ring at all. When forwarded to softphone, I get the partial ring.
    Is this on WiFi or mobile data?

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100
    Mind you, aside from the extensions, there's a simultaneous ring destination to nomorobo via sipbroker. Further up in the treatment list (near the top) are rules for sending med/high spam type calls to the ivr.
    Doh! I forgot I'm doing the same thing only I use a hunt group instead of simulring to avoid that first ring if Nomorobo gets a hit. That would explain why I'm getting a full ring or two. My hunt group ring time to sipbroker/nomorobo is 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100
    Which sip client you using? Hows the battery draw when idle?
    I use Groundwire (with Push). It's on an iPad so I don't really notice the battery draw. I've been using Hangouts lately so I haven't had it on. I'll open it and see what kind of battery draw I get.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Is this on WiFi or mobile data?
    This when set to use carrier number (no wifi/data calling). With the latter enabled I get the partial ring.

Doh! I forgot I'm doing the same thing only I use a hunt group instead of simulring to avoid that first ring if Nomorobo gets a hit. That would explain why I'm getting a full ring or two. My hunt group ring time to sipbroker/nomorobo is 5 seconds.
    That's a long timeout. Plenty of time to reach and wake the cell then generate the ring. If both hunt and simulring are needed, you can use an ivr with a 0 timeout so it's immediate.

I use Groundwire (with Push). It's on an iPad so I don't really notice the battery draw. I've been using Hangouts lately so I haven't had it on. I'll open it and see what kind of battery draw I get.
    I haven't used groundwire (on android) in a long time. Last time it conflicted with the os and audio quality was very poor. I'm now on android 9. I'll play around with it at some point.

Feedback Score
    Find a third-party app that will allow you to block all calls not from your contacts...

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    Find a third-party app that will allow you to block all calls not from your contacts...
    Third-party apps don't work when GV app is set to use WiFi since it doesn't use the default phone app. Call blocking apps only work on the default phone app. The same holds true for Hangouts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast