Thread: MMS not working - existing PPC account/sim, new phone

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryK1 View Post
    It is set to: tracfone.vzwentp
    It looks like the 1st of three in your link.
    Have you tried VZWINTERNET ?

Feedback Score
    Success! It's now working. The APN settings are actually one of the built-in defaults that come stock with the phone (see below).

Not sure exactly how it got here, here's the long story:
    • Called PPC tech support. They said just to turn off wifi, turn on data, and send a text.
    • Two or three PPC tech support chat sessions, suggested "you need to call Samsung"
    • Tried texting "APN" to 611611 per Page Plus FAQ (Boz1's suggestion above)
    • Tried Textra app per larryK1's suggestion
    • A final PPC tech support chat session, got someone willing to try different APN settings. I was at work while my wife was working PPC tech support chat. The tech had her manually enter in the APN settings. She sent me the chat transcript, and the settings look just like the first entry ("Main") on this page. However, when I got home from work and looked at her phone's APN settings, it was simply using one of the built-in defaults! The phone has several dozen built-in pre-defined APN settings. If you enter one manually, all those go away, and you only see your custom one. And if you want to go back to the built-in defaults, you have to explicitly perform a "reset to default". My wife claims she didn't do that. So it's not clear to me exactly how the phone arrived at that setting.

So here are the APN settings that are working for her:

It's the first "Verizon Internet / VZWINTERNET" option in the list of default Access Point Names (there any many like this, at least a dozen). Here are the actual field details for this option:

Name: Verizon Internet
    APN: VZWINTERNET
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: Not set
    Multimedia message proxy: Not set
    Multimedia message port: Not set
    MCC: 311
    MNC: 480
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN type: default,dun,supl
    APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    Turn APN on/off: APN turned on.
    Bearer: HSPA, GPRS, EDGE, eHRPD, UMTS, LTE, HSPAP, IWLAN, HSDPA, HSUPA
    Mobile virtual network operator type: GID
    Mobile virtual network operator value: BAE0000000000000

Thanks for the help everyone! It's not clear to me which fields in the APN settings really matter, as clearly different people are using different settings but MMS still works.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    In my experience, it's been the Bearer field that controlled my data settings. Without all those entries, I was stuck with 3g/evdo data or could not send and receive mms.

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    In my experience, it's been the Bearer field that controlled my data settings. Without all those entries, I was stuck with 3g/evdo data or could not send and receive mms.
    That's interesting. None of the entries in that page I linked several times have anything specified for the Bearer field. However, on my wife's old phone, the Bearer field was populated, though slightly differently than above: GPRS, eHRPD, HSUPA, HSPAP, HSPA, HSDPA, LTE, UMTS, EDGE. Her old phone also had the MMSC field populated (http://mmms.vtext.com/servlets/mms), and the APN was TRACFONE.VZWENTP instead of VZWINTERNET.

I wish I understood more about what's going on behind the scenes, so that it wasn't just shoot-in-the-dark trial and error.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It's too bad it was such a hassle, but I'm glad you got it working!

Feedback Score
    Update: I just found out, with the settings I listed above, while MMS worked, mobile data did not! The vast majority of the time my wife needs the internet, she's at home, and so can use wifi. So it was only recently that we found mobile data wasn't working.

Anyway, before working with PagePlus again, I thought I'd try to fix it myself. I have something that (so far) appears to work for both MMS and mobile data, but with some curious stuff going on. Here are the APN settings I'm using (manually entered):

Name: Page Plus
    APN: VZWINTERNET (or TRACFONE.VZWENTP, see below)
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    Mobile virtual network operator value: BAE01230000000000

Regarding the APN setting: mobile data works with either VZWINTERNET or TRACFONE.VZWENTP. But MMS works only with VZWINTERNET.

What I find curious, though, is that when I use the VZWINTERNET setting, the "bars" icon in the upper right hand corner says 3g. But when I use the TRACFONE.VZWENTP setting, it instead says LTE (and has little up and down arrows below the letters).

Not sure if the 3g vs LTE thing is real or cosmetic. As I implied above, my wife so rarely uses mobile data that, even if it is real, shouldn't be a big deal... but it feels a bit annoying out of principle.

Or is there yet still some way to make TRACFONE.VZWENTP work for both mobile data and MMS? Or is PagePlus blocking MMS on the LTE network (either deliberately or through mis-config)?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have an LG Fiesta 2 on PPC that was apparently a Straight Talk device.

I never use cellular data (yeah, I'm one of those guys), and because my messaging always goes through Google Voice, I never get a chance to use the phone's MMS capability.

I did just check my APN, which is set to TRACFONE.VZWENTP. I didn't want to go all the way in to the edit screen to check all the settings, as I'm afraid I'll mess something up.

But I switched off Wi-Fi and turned on Mobile Data, and right away the LTE indicator came on. I also see it with things as I normally set them (mobile data off, Wi-Fi on) whenever I receive or make a call.

So I think that's the right APN for PPC, although considering TracFone proper seems to use the other one, it's likely that's an intentional configuration that differentiates the two services.

There may either be another setting to get MMS working, or you're dealing with the problem people on other MVNOs (i.e. Red Pocket,etc.) are having with the newer Samsung devices.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherMatt View Post
    Update: I just found out, with the settings I listed above, while MMS worked, mobile data did not! The vast majority of the time my wife needs the internet, she's at home, and so can use wifi. So it was only recently that we found mobile data wasn't working.

Anyway, before working with PagePlus again, I thought I'd try to fix it myself. I have something that (so far) appears to work for both MMS and mobile data, but with some curious stuff going on. Here are the APN settings I'm using (manually entered):

Name: Page Plus
    APN: VZWINTERNET (or TRACFONE.VZWENTP, see below)
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    Mobile virtual network operator value: BAE01230000000000

Regarding the APN setting: mobile data works with either VZWINTERNET or TRACFONE.VZWENTP. But MMS works only with VZWINTERNET.

What I find curious, though, is that when I use the VZWINTERNET setting, the "bars" icon in the upper right hand corner says 3g. But when I use the TRACFONE.VZWENTP setting, it instead says LTE (and has little up and down arrows below the letters).

Not sure if the 3g vs LTE thing is real or cosmetic. As I implied above, my wife so rarely uses mobile data that, even if it is real, shouldn't be a big deal... but it feels a bit annoying out of principle.

Or is there yet still some way to make TRACFONE.VZWENTP work for both mobile data and MMS? Or is PagePlus blocking MMS on the LTE network (either deliberately or through mis-config)?
    Try adding:
    MMSC: http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
    Compare prepaid plans from all operators at PrepaidCompare.net.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I tried that, but it didn't seem to have any effect either way.

Feedback Score
    you tried the settings listed here - https://bestmvno.com/apn-settings/pa...-apn-settings/

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Something else to try.

On Verizon and MVNOs, APN settings are supposed to be automatically configured. Manual APN setting should not be required. On course it doesn't always work, especially on MVNOs.

In Samsung flagships since the S7 you are suppose to swap SIMs with the phone turned on. After you swap, the phone restarts to reconfigure itself to the new network. My unlocked S7 hangs on restart if I swap SIMs with the phone off. If you have a non-Verizon network SIM, try swapping that with the Page Plus SIM (while the phone is turned on), letting the phone reboot and fully set up and then hot-swap the Page Plus SIM back in and let the phone reboot and reconfigure itself again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Make sure the bearer field is populated with entries.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you tried the settings listed here - https://bestmvno.com/apn-settings/pa...-apn-settings/
    Yes, I've tried all those (see first post in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Make sure the bearer field is populated with entries.
    It is (see this post).

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    In Samsung flagships since the S7 you are suppose to swap SIMs with the phone turned on. After you swap, the phone restarts to reconfigure itself to the new network. My unlocked S7 hangs on restart if I swap SIMs with the phone off. If you have a non-Verizon network SIM, try swapping that with the Page Plus SIM (while the phone is turned on), letting the phone reboot and fully set up and then hot-swap the Page Plus SIM back in and let the phone reboot and reconfigure itself again.
    That's interesting, I didn't know SIM cards could be hot-swapped. When I first set up the phone, I implicitly tried the "cold swap" version of this: IOW, with the new phone turned off, I installed the PPC SIM from the old phone. I don't recall which APN settings it automatically chose, but whatever was chosen only worked for mobile data, but not MMS. When I have time I will give the hot-swap method a try.

Thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    My settings got wiped out on my Motorola Moto 4G so had to recreate them.

Reset to default put my apn as vzwinternet so that did not work for me. Put it to tracfone.vzwentp

Bearer field has the following entries
    GPRS
    eHRPD
    HSUPA
    HSPAP
    HSPA
    HSDPA
    LTE
    UMTS
    EDGE

Confirmed that mobile data and mms work for me

Curious thing is why does cdma have references to GSM entries?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG VX8300
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Is your unlocked Samsung S10 an international version or US version?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast