Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MMS not working - existing PPC account/sim, new phone

Feedback Score

MMS not working - existing PPC account/sim, new phone

My wife has been on Page Plus Cellular for at least a couple years now, with consistent and reliable service on a Motorola Moto X Pure Edition. We just got an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S10, but MMS is not working. Everything else works: phone calls, SMS (text only messages), data. But I cannot get multimedia messages (MMS) to work. I've tried all the APN settings listed here. I also tried the APN settings from her old phone (slight variation on the ones shown in the link).

No matter what APN settings I use, one of two things happens: either the MMS sending fails immediately with the error "Invalid destination address", or it hangs on "Sending..." (with the dots changing color, suggesting it's working). It will hang like this for at least an hour, then ultimately fail with "invalid destination address". She also cannot receive MMS messages (but receiving SMS messages works OK).

I've also tried doing a "force stop", followed by "clear cache" and "clear data" in the Messages app. I've also tried rebooting the device between APN setting changes.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Any other options we should try?

Thanks!
    Last edited by YetAnotherMatt; 04-08-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    do you have cellular data turned on ?? did you try resetting your network settings.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    There is a thread in the general section detailing this same problem with Red Pocket (VZW) and later model unlocked Galaxy S models. Seems to have started with the unlocked S8/8+ and continues to the current S10 models.

It appeared to be limited to Red Pocket but maybe there just haven't been any reports from people on other carriers yet. You seem to be the first for another VZW mvno. Unfortunately nobody has found a solution and Samsung doesn't seem to want to fix the problem.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by persim View Post
    There is a thread in the general section detailing this same problem with Red Pocket (VZW) and later model unlocked Galaxy S models. Seems to have started with the unlocked S8/8+ and continues to the current S10 models.

It appeared to be limited to Red Pocket but maybe there just haven't been any reports from people on other carriers yet. You seem to be the first for another VZW mvno. Unfortunately nobody has found a solution and Samsung doesn't seem to want to fix the problem.
    The problem you described has been reported by boom! Mobile, Red Pocket, Selectel, and Puppy Wireless users.

So far, any Tracfone related Vzw MVNO, including PPC, has NOT been affected. The theory by some is that Tracfone is large enough to have some special deal to avoid the problem, but nobody knows for sure what's really happening.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The problem you described has been reported by boom! Mobile, Red Pocket, Selectel, and Puppy Wireless users.

So far, any Tracfone related Vzw MVNO, including PPC, has NOT been affected. The theory by some is that Tracfone is large enough to have some special deal to avoid the problem, but nobody knows for sure what's really happening.
    Didn't realize it had been confirmed with all those carriers. Hopefully, know that an America Movil brand is affected, Samsung will do something about it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by persim View Post
    Didn't realize it had been confirmed with all those carriers. Hopefully, know that an America Movil brand is affected, Samsung will do something about it.
    I'm guessing that the issue is something other than what you referenced, because I don't think the description that YetAnotherMatt gave matches what the Galaxy S8 and above users have described as happened to them on the non-TracFone MVNOs.

My suggestion for YetAnotherMatt is to contact PPC support to see what they can figure out. I expect the issue CAN be fixed on PPC.

However, so far, I don't think a reliable fix for using a Galaxy S8 and above has been found for non-TracFone MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    do you have cellular data turned on ?? did you try resetting your network settings.
    Cellular data is definitely turned on. Just as a sanity check, I turned off Wifi, and visited some (previously unvisited) websites. I also tried MMS with and without Wifi enabled, same result as described above.

What do you mean exactly by "resetting your network settings"?

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm guessing that the issue is something other than what you referenced, because I don't think the description that YetAnotherMatt gave matches what the Galaxy S8 and above users have described as happened to them on the non-TracFone MVNOs.

My suggestion for YetAnotherMatt is to contact PPC support to see what they can figure out. I expect the issue CAN be fixed on PPC.
    Do you happen to have a link handy for the similar problem with S8 and above phones?

Also, do you have any suggestions for getting the most out of PPC support? My wife tried calling them, all she was told was to turn off wifi and turn on data and try to send a text. They are supposed to call back in a couple hours. So far we don't have a lot of confidence.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    In addition to the links persim provided, this is from another forum regarding the issue on PW: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mica...hone-t523.html. This is from yet another forum about the issue with Selectel: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...rvice-t3740986

The issue was reported about boom! in one of the giant boom! threads on HoFo, if you feel like trying to find it.

Regarding PPC support, I'd start with online chat, and if you don't get anywhere with the first chat agent, ask to be transferred to a higher level rep.

Feedback Score
    persim & Boz1 - thank you for the links and additional info. We'll work the PPC support and see what we come up with. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherMatt View Post
    Cellular data is definitely turned on. Just as a sanity check, I turned off Wifi, and visited some (previously unvisited) websites. I also tried MMS with and without Wifi enabled, same result as described above. What do you mean exactly by "resetting your network settings"? Do you happen to have a link handy for the similar problem with S8 and above phones? Also, do you have any suggestions for getting the most out of PPC support? My wife tried calling them, all she was told was to turn off wifi and turn on data and try to send a text. They are supposed to call back in a couple hours. So far we don't have a lot of confidence.
    just go into your phones settings - mobile network, and look for the option to reset network settings.

Feedback Score
    As a test I just sent an mms from my S10+ to our S9, both are on PagePlus, and both use Textra for texting. It sent and was received fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryK1 View Post
    As a test I just sent an mms from my S10+ to our S9, both are on PagePlus, and both use Textra for texting. It sent and was received fine.
    Which APN settings are you using? Or do you have a link to the ones you're using? I've tried multiple, specifically, the three listed here, in addition to the settings from the old phone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherMatt View Post
    Which APN settings are you using? Or do you have a link to the ones you're using? I've tried multiple, specifically, the three listed here, in addition to the settings from the old phone.
    I'm guessing you already tried, but see if the following helps:
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    As another forum member said, most TF-branded phones on TF/Verizon use the APN called VZWINTERNET. Try editing/changing the APN name from TRACFONE.VZWENTP to VZWINTERNET (without the leading TRACFONE.), then touch the 3-dot or 3-bar in the upper corner and SAVE it. On some phones, it takes effect right away. On some phones you have to restart. Then go back in and see if the new APN "sticks" and works.
    Also, have you tried the following?
    https://support.pagepluscellular.com/
    How do I update my data settings? | FAQ
    To update your data settings, text APN to 611611.

Feedback Score
    It is set to: tracfone.vzwentp
    It looks like the 1st of three in your link.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast