Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is AT&T really this bad?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thumbs down Is AT&T really this bad?

Hi,

Enjoying some sunshine here in San Francisco for the LendIt 2019 conference... I'm from a cold and wide country called Canada. My phone roams onto AT&T and I'm wondering if it really is this bad.

In the span of about 10 seconds my phone will randomly go from LTE to no service to HSPA and back (or a mix of those things) while just standing still and looking at my phone. Last time I was in Fort Lauderdale, similar thing but with Edge involved.

In Canada Bell is one solid network.... I've never had a dropped call that wasn't my fault for going into an elevator, even when driving for hours and hours between cities. My phone is always on LTE+ or LTE and here in the US on AT&T? Standing still the network can't deliver.

We can go down the road it's my phone (note 9) or it's just patchy, but the thing is AT&T underdelivered the last time I was here as well.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    AT&T hasn’t operated an EDGE network since January 2017, therefore you were likely on T-MOBILE.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sounds like you need to take it up with Bell, probably an issue with your roaming provisioning if your phone is exhibiting behavior like that. And like synonys said, AT&T hasn’t operated GSM for more than two years so you were probably on TMO there.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I haven’t had any issues with AT&T in San Francisco. What everyone else said.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yep, must be provisioning as others have said. Was just in the Fort Lauderdale area & ATT worked great. (Even in the Everglades)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I could maybe see a phone flipping over to HSPA in San Francisco, depending on where you are standing, but AT&T in Fort Lauderdale shouldn't have any issues. Of course, the last time I was in Ottawa, my AT&T phone had issues with dropped calls (on Rogers?), so this makes me think it is just a roaming thing, which really sucks TBH.
    Durham, NC

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Hi,

Enjoying some sunshine here in San Francisco for the LendIt 2019 conference... I'm from a cold and wide country called Canada. My phone roams onto AT&T and I'm wondering if it really is this bad.

In the span of about 10 seconds my phone will randomly go from LTE to no service to HSPA and back (or a mix of those things) while just standing still and looking at my phone. Last time I was in Fort Lauderdale, similar thing but with Edge involved.

In Canada Bell is one solid network.... I've never had a dropped call that wasn't my fault for going into an elevator, even when driving for hours and hours between cities. My phone is always on LTE+ or LTE and here in the US on AT&T? Standing still the network can't deliver.

We can go down the road it's my phone (note 9) or it's just patchy, but the thing is AT&T underdelivered the last time I was here as well.
    I have had that happen using Tmobile natively on my Ipad in the past because my ipad only had the AWS Tmobile signal which was problematic in range.

Currently my device now uses the 700Mhz band and stays on AT&T LTE most of the time and places. I have seen 4G while traveling on non upgraded sites. This would be the same for the major markets like San Francisco and Fort Lauderdale, FL where they own 700 native spectrum and in these markets LTE would be predominant.

If the device has the latest bands, then there is an issue with the roaming agreement or the device is incorrectly showing as AT&T. Less likely would be an outdated carrier version and/or sim where the existing versions won’t work correctly with the AT&T bands. Try posting in the appropriate forum for your native carrier or contact them directly.

Poster is correct in that AT&T doesn’t have an Edge network up in Fort Lauderdale and was shut down a few years ago.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi, Enjoying some sunshine here in San Francisco for the LendIt 2019 conference... I'm from a cold and wide country called Canada. My phone roams onto AT&T and I'm wondering if it really is this bad. In the span of about 10 seconds my phone will randomly go from LTE to no service to HSPA and back (or a mix of those things) while just standing still and looking at my phone. Last time I was in Fort Lauderdale, similar thing but with Edge involved. In Canada Bell is one solid network.... I've never had a dropped call that wasn't my fault for going into an elevator, even when driving for hours and hours between cities. My phone is always on LTE+ or LTE and here in the US on AT&T? Standing still the network can't deliver. We can go down the road it's my phone (note 9) or it's just patchy, but the thing is AT&T underdelivered the last time I was here as well.
    what model note 9 do you have ?? and are u using AT&T prepaid or postpaid sim. does it have all the latest system updates ??

Device(s)
    Moto G7, Nexus 5X, Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sometimes when my phone isn’t working well when I know I’m in a good area, I put my phone in airplane mode for about 10 seconds and then turn off airplane mode. This causes the phone’s SIM to reprovision with the nearest tower and that usually solves the problem.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The OP didn't mention when was in Florida. If long enough to go, GSM may have still been supported by ATT.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi,

Try a local AT&T sim and i guarantee you it'll perform better.

I'm willing to bet it's a roaming provisioning issue with your SIM card.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Try a local AT&T sim and i guarantee you it'll perform better.
    I'm willing to bet it's a roaming provisioning issue with your SIM card.
    Thanks, last time I was roaming natively with my home carrier's SIM card. This time I am roaming with Know Roaming (international roaming SIM) and the experience isn't hasn't been much better...

Near Half Moon Bay on LTE Band 17, 10 Mhz getting 358 ms ping, 2.16 Mbps down, 2.38 Mbps up, 8 ms jitter. Hard to believe it could be this bad, they must use a VPN or something for metering.

Next time will go naked AT&T SIM and see how things are.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks, last time I was roaming natively with my home carrier's SIM card. This time I am roaming with Know Roaming (international roaming SIM) and the experience isn't hasn't been much better...

Near Half Moon Bay on LTE Band 17, 10 Mhz getting 358 ms ping, 2.16 Mbps down, 2.38 Mbps up, 8 ms jitter. Hard to believe it could be this bad, they must use a VPN or something for metering.

Typically traffic is sent back to your home carrier for billing. You really should just get an actual AT&T SIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Well when “roaming” it tunnels l data back to some data center usually in another country

This causes poor speeds, and as a roamer you are always below everything else on the network

Seriously just spend $40 on the 8GB prepaid plan next time and you’ll be good

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone IE
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I’m from Ireland and i visit CT couple times a year and i roam on the AT&T network. It works flawlessly and i get great LTE speeds. I don’t get VoLTE though, falls back to HSPA on a call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast