Thread: Interesting time trying to sign up for a prepaid account

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had a similar experience while trying to port to Cricket back in December. They blamed Verizon when I called support, but then I decided to go to AT&T Prepaid instead, and the port went through fine at the store. The staff was friendly and helpful, despite that they likely made no money from helping me like they would a postpaid or DirecTV customer.
    Durham, NC

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    IIRC moving a number from an AT&T MVNO to Prepaid (or from postpaid to prepaid) is technically a transfer and not a port, and transfer procedures are different from porting procedures. AT&T prepaid, postpaid and certain MVNOs like H2O all have the same MCC/MNC; you can tell by the fact that you can interchangeably activate service on AT&T postpaid, prepaid and "real" MNVOs using each other's SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried to port a Cricket number on line and it was a no go. In the store they had no issue Porting from Cricket to AT&T prepaid.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OP here.

Just a quick update.

I went to an AT&T store today to try to get the $40.00 plan with autopay, the 16GB one.

Anyhow, I told the AT&T rep that I was coming from H2O to AT&T and wanted to transfer my number.

I also told him that I had my H2O account number and pin but he said that still wasn't enough.

He said that I also needed to call H2O and have them release my number so that AT&T could transfer it.

And since H2O wasn't open on the weekends, he said to come back at the beginning of the week and try then.

Looking back a ways, at one time I had tried porting a Number Barn number to US Mobile and even though I provided US Mobile with the account number and pin, they also wanted me to call Number Barn to get them to release the number for porting.

I thought US Mobile was just giving me the run around and just told them to cancel the port.

So, do all winning carriers want you to call the losing carrier to release the number? Even though the account number and pin has been provided?

I always thought that all you needed to port a number was an account number and pin. Name and address of course too.

Guess I was wrong.......

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    OP here.

Just a quick update.

I went to an AT&T store today to try to get the $40.00 plan with autopay, the 16GB one.

Anyhow, I told the AT&T rep that I was coming from H2O to AT&T and wanted to transfer my number.

I also told him that I had my H2O account number and pin but he said that still wasn't enough.

He said that I also needed to call H2O and have them release my number so that AT&T could transfer it.

And since H2O wasn't open on the weekends, he said to come back at the beginning of the week and try then.

Looking back a ways, at one time I had tried porting a Number Barn number to US Mobile and even though I provided US Mobile with the account number and pin, they also wanted me to call Number Barn to get them to release the number for porting.

I thought US Mobile was just giving me the run around and just told them to cancel the port.

So, do all winning carriers want you to call the losing carrier to release the number? Even though the account number and pin has been provided?

I always thought that all you needed to port a number was an account number and pin. Name and address of course too.

Guess I was wrong.......

You are not necessarily wrong try calling att prepaid activations and give them your h20 credentials to port your number. Or try doing this on line. If you have the att sim

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had an interesting time a couple weeks ago trying to signup online for a new line. No porting involved. Web site issues, kept on erring out. Ended up going to the store, and found out that the SIM was partially activated during one of the failures, and I needed a new SIM.

Only reason for this line is I bought a backup iPhone via prepaid a couple months ago, thinking that I could unlock it after 6 months. Based on reading posts after this, I grew doubtful that just using it once a month on my main prepaid account would be good enough. So I'm on the $2/day plan for the 6 months, which will cost me about $50 for the $25 refills twice during this time. I find that, as long as I don't answer the phone, I don't get an additional charge, so I've used $2 of the $25 initial cost. Then the last month before unlocking it, I can use the balance up.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    OP here.

Just a quick update.

Guess I was wrong.......
    You really need to port out to a non-AT&T service first, like T-mobile, in order to be eligible as a new customer and get the 16gb promo $40 plan.

H20 is considered AT&T and while you might be able to port to AT&T prepaid, you most likely won't get the promo or the bonuses.

The easiest and best way is to port to T-mobile or another carrier first. Not sure why you keep wanting to direct from H20 to AT&T. Read the fine print - the promo is for new AT&T customers only (including its MVNOs).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    You really need to port out to a non-AT&T service first, like T-mobile, in order to be eligible as a new customer and get the 16gb promo $40 plan.

H20 is considered AT&T and while you might be able to port to AT&T prepaid, you most likely won't get the promo or the bonuses.

The easiest and best way is to port to T-mobile or another carrier first. Not sure why you keep wanting to direct from H20 to AT&T. Read the fine print - the promo is for new AT&T customers only (including its MVNOs).
    The AT&T rep at the store said I would have no problem getting this 16GB plan.

His only problem was getting H2o to release the number on a weekend, that's why he said to come back at the start of the week.

Of course the next AT&T rep I talk to might have something entirely different to tell me. That's why I like to converse through chat or email, so that there is a record to refer to.

I simply thought that it would be super easy to transfer a number from an MVNO to their mother ship. Inter office type of thing? Anyhow,

there I go, thinkin' again......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2