Thread: Blackberry Key2 and OnePlus 6T support on Wind/Freedom?

Feedback Score

Blackberry Key2 and OnePlus 6T support on Wind/Freedom?

Need to roll into a new phone (from Blackberry Priv) on Freedom and am looking at Blackberry Key2 and the OnePlus 6T.

Does anyone have experience with either of these two phones on Wind/Freedom, and whether there are any network 'gotcha' things that don't work correctly with these phones?

Thanks

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use OnePlus 6T on freedom. Everything is working except it does not get VoLTE or WiFi calling.

Freedom Mobile doesn't support those features on devices not purchased from them. Bad company.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk
    Freedom Mobile Promo 50 Everywhere Canada

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Well my KEYone works fine, no wifi calling but everything else is fine

Sent from my [BlackBerry Keyone] using HoFo mobile app
    Lucky Albertan who has the promo loyalty $50 8gb lte plans = $33 each with discounts. And am not moving to new plans without my 1GB data roaming Canada and USA. Love for the Blackberry KEYone

Feedback Score
    I have used varying devices on Freedom and although not a direct purchase from Freedom, I have used a Pixel, iPhone XS Max and Samsung Galaxy Note 9 without any issues with the latter 2 being able to utilize WiFi calling etc... I did recently upgrade to the new Extended LTE SIM so it's possible this had something to do with the ability to utilize what were previously disabled features. Not 100% on the SIM but did receive a text to upgrade my SIM and after doing so, I've noticed a significant difference in specific areas.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Classic, BlackBerry Priv, Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hey,

I have the KEY2, on freedom in the lower mainland/BC. Coverage comparison to a native S9+ on freedom is similar. You won't get wifi calling, but LTE hits up wards of 75Mbps, which is fair for a device that's not native to it's network. I'll be picking up the f(x)tec pro1 when it launches this summer and it seems to have similar band support so I'm hoping that works as advertised.

One thing I want to say though, WiFi calling should technically work as I've gone into the service menus and whatnot. But freedom will NOT allow it to work unless (and I'm assuming) it's IMEI is in it's database. Which is a shame, because it should be able to work no problem.

But it has all the band support you want, although my phone will try to ride B4 when B13 or B66 is available, but barely rides on those bands.. not sure why.

Great device with better battery life than the KEYone after all those updates. Definitely a worthy contender.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Freedom wanted to push customers to pur6 devices from them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Where did you get the Key2 from?

I'm not super upset over the lack of VoLTE and wifi calling as I use Signal https://signal.org/ for a lot of my calling, and that works fine over any connection type it can get its hands on.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Classic, BlackBerry Priv, Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IlikeGSM View Post
    Where did you get the Key2 from?

I'm not super upset over the lack of VoLTE and wifi calling as I use Signal https://signal.org/ for a lot of my calling, and that works fine over any connection type it can get its hands on.
    I bought it from Bell. Came unlocked so that was convenient. KEY2 is definitely the way to go(for now). I wish the KEY3 would release but I'll use the 2 for now. I'm probably selling mine to buy the red KEY2 in a month or two.

I looked into signal, can you elaborate on what it is, do both parties need to have it to communicate like Line, KIK, Messenger, etc? or can I use signal and communicate with someone who's on android messages/apple imessage?

I'm always looking for something more secure.. Can I also load this up on multiple devices at one time?

I'll probably download it tomorrow and give it a try!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2000 View Post
    I looked into signal, can you elaborate on what it is, do both parties need to have it to communicate like Line, KIK, Messenger, etc? or can I use signal and communicate with someone who's on android messages/apple imessage?

I'm always looking for something more secure.. Can I also load this up on multiple devices at one time?
    Signal is a secure messaging protocol/app that combines secure text messaging and voice calling, using in 'perfect forward secrecy' techniques, ie. the recovery by an adversary of the encryption key used for the last message or call will not compromise the next message/call made. It's a new name for an old concept known as 'One Time Pad' (OTP) see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

Messenger uses a licensed version of Signal inside it BUT it's been altered to serve its masters needs for access to information versus the user needs for strict privacy.

Signal runs on Android and iOS (and MacOS for messaging only). So users of Signal can communicate securely amongst EACH OTHER using Signal. Apple's iMessage is a 'closed' system limited to Apple devices.

Developed by Moxie Marlinspike (yes, that's his name in the crypto community), he's a we;ll respected cryptographer. The voice portion of the protocol is based on ZTRP, which was developed by Phil Zimmerman (of PGP fame). Signal code has been audited many times by noted cryptographers, and many were consulted during the development process (Jon Callas [ex-PGP, now head of Apple encryption team, etc.... Moxie runs in exhalted circles]).

When you install it on a smartphone it ties your use to your phone number (as an 'address'), thus if you have two phones with different numbers (work & personal, or you switch SIMs to take advantage of better cell plans from different companies) you wind up with effectively different Signal identities (eg. JoeSmith4165551212 and JoeSmith4165550000).

If you are on Android your message archive can be ported from phone-to-phone if you switch physical phones, but the same does not appear to be true on iOS (not sure if it's that Apple restricts certain code functionality for security reasons (Trusted Enclave) or some other reason.
    In that case on Apple, your 'old' messages will be stuck on the old phone (unless you have also installed Signal on your Mac - iOS and MacOS can 'mirror' the messages to one another)- as can Android/MacOS - but you can't recover the already sent/received messages onto a new iPhone).

There are pro/con issues to everything.