Thread: TF/ST/PP unlocking procedure for iPhone after 12 months of continuous service

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

TF/ST/PP unlocking procedure for iPhone after 12 months of continuous service

Has anyone successfully gotten an iphone unlocked after keeping it on PP for 12 months? How do they even know the phone was continuously active since they presumably don't keep records of past sim card swaps?

This is for a ST locked iphone 6s I just bought at Walmart last month and activated on an existing PP PAYG line. I'm looking ahead 11 months from now when I'll actually try to do it. I just want to know who to contact and how to get it done.

Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link.

The policy requires, "Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported."

Being on a PAYG plan on PP, I'm not going to be "redeeming air time cards" in 12 unique months. I add a $10 pin every 120 days only. The word "and" above in bold means all three conditions must be met. If it said "or" in place of "and" I wouldn't be concerned. Has it even been a year since PP opened PAYG plans to 4G devices? Has anyone successfully gotten a 4G phone unlocked under these circumstances?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Has anyone successfully gotten a 4G phone unlocked under these circumstances?
    Per Page Plus CSR....PP does not lock phones! Also "unlike" other Tracfone companies, the PP system updates the IMEI in their system when you swap SIMs. I've confirmed this on all my phones even those on their system just a couple months. Did you put your phone info in their unlock checker ? Maybe if you bought a Page Plus branded phone it might be a different story. But my brand new Tracfone branded My Flip was activated with the TF SIM that came with it and the unlock checker comes back as "phone is unlocked".

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I checked it via phone number and it said it's ineligible for unlocking. When I entered the serial number, I got an error message.

I was aware that PP updates the IMEI in their system, but I've always been under the impression that no records of past IMEI changes are kept. How would they be able to establish that I maintained 12 months of continuous service on a particular phone? We don't really know, so all we can do is speculate. Maybe they keep a record of the exact date a current IMEI in their system was activated on a particular number, but I doubt they keep more than that.

I activated it March 18, but then I briefly popped the sim card into a different phone to test out how that other phone would function on the PP network. Then I put the sim card back. I did this a few days ago, Wednesday evening, April 10. Apple maintains a record for warranty purposes that the phone was activated on March 18, but I doubt TF will care about that, because Apple doesn't note the phone number or carrier.

I have a gut feeling that by switching phones, as briefly as that lasted, I probably cost myself three weeks next year for unlocking purposes. Instead of being eligible for unlocking on 3/18/2020, I bet I'm going to have to wait until 4/10/2020 or maybe one day later, because after sim switching, their system likely reflects an activation date of this phone's IMEI with this phone number on 4/10/2019. It will be interesting to see what happens when I attempt it next year in late March.

Feedback Score
    This is for a ST locked iphone 6s I just bought at Walmart last month and activated on an existing PP PAYG line.
    When you say you activated it on an existing account, do you mean you replaced the old phone?
    Did the old phone have a SIM or was it an old CDMA/3G ?

If you say you're just looking ahead and plan to keep the phone activated on PP anyway; may as well wait till then to see what the policy will be. Likely it'll change in the mean time.

I just checked my couple months old Tracfone Branded MyFlip again and it's saying already unlocked. Wonder if this is another IPhone specific issue.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    When you say you activated it on an existing account, do you mean you replaced the old phone?
    Did the old phone have a SIM or was it an old CDMA/3G ?
    Yes I replaced the old phone on an already existing PAYG line. It was a 3G iPhone 4s, no sim card.

Feedback Score
    Yes I replaced the old phone on an already existing PAYG line. It was a 3G iPhone 4s, no sim card.
    Ok, I'm at a loss on the whole locking/unlocking thing. Just know all the phones I've ever had on PP were never locked but they were all BYOD phones except for the one Tracfone Branded one I mentioned and it was never locked either.