Thread: 10 Years and finally done

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score

10 Years and finally done

I've had at least one line with WIND/Freedom since Dec 2009. One of the first people with a sim only sub at the time with my Nokia N900. At some point I had as many as 5 different lines on WIND. Today, I've cancelled my last line; the good old All in The Family $15 unlimited data (10GB full speed) plan.

I always had hope that things will get better and in many ways WIND has brought a lot of positive change in the industry. System access fees and Call display and VM fees were the norm back then and I'd like to think WIND had a lot of influence in getting us there.

They just no longer meet my needs and I am sad that I have to leave because that $15 plan is a kick *** deal. Sadly a good plan isn't enough. We need coverage and speed. Freedom can lead on pricing but they are still lacklustre when it comes to reception.

I will still encourage people to use Freedom if their coverage works for them because Freedom continue to influence wireless competitiveness. We need them around. But for myself personally, I'm moving on.

This'll be the first time in over 15 years that I won't have an active line on every network available in the GTA.

Feedback Score
    You lasted with Wind/Freedom a lot longer than I did. I ended up switching my lines out in 2016. I was out as soon as Public Mobile started offering the $40 4gb plan. I'm now on a $60 10 gb plan with Koodo and the rest of the family is on some Rogers corporate plans. All signal and speed complains stopped as soon as I switched.

This forum kinda died out after that Public Mobile plan imo. A lot of people switched out I think especially the people who were here when Wind got started. From my friends group, I don't think any of them are still on Wind/Freedom. From the people at work, the few people still on Wind still complain about the poor service they get.

Wind/Freedom is probably doing better than ever and this is the first year in a long time that it feels like it's expanded in coverage at all in Ontario. For me I don't think I'll ever come back to Freedom as the saving are not worth it. Paying a bit more to have fast service almost anywhere I'll realistically go in Canada is worth it.

It's still interesting coming back to the forum but it's no longer what it used to be.

Feedback Score
    I'll chime in here as well... I've been with Freedom Mobile ever since they started offering service under the Globalive Wireless brand through Blockbuster Video. I bought one of the original Nokia devices and toughed it out to give the new entrant a try. Although their service has progressively gotten better, the key word is "progressively". I cannot knock them as a company since there's been lots of red tape in place by the Big-3; and lets not kid ourselves, their sub brands are just a collusion to trick consumers into thinking there's wireless competition in Canada. How quick did these so called competitive Big-3 rivals band together when they thought Verizon would get a winning bid for Globalive Wireless. A shared financial venture to ensure competition is at a minimum. Moving forward, Shaw wins a bid and although they have improved, see how Shaw does not bundle Freedom Services? I have some know in the industry and it's said that Shaw will create their own "premium" brand while still operating Freedom Mobile - no different than Rogers/Fido/Chat-R, Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile or Bell/Virgin/Lucky Mobile. It's a smoke & mirrors technique with Shaw Mobile being the soon to be 4th national carrier. All these companies have been in bed together for years and although there's some rivalry with services, they price fix and ensure they tip things just enough to ensure there's consumer happiness (no different than the gas companies with price fixing).

This said, I've had issues with Freedom Mobile which have not been addressed and they've been ongoing for years! I've always had alternative service and would like to think that my reduction in pricing over the years with my alternate carrier was due to Freedom Mobile improving. Unfortunately, these said issues with Freedom are not addressed and it seems whenever push comes to shove, Freedom thinks the answer is to provide a credit or a recurring discount of $10 for 6 months or a year. Unfortunately, the service can be free but if calls drop or go straight to voice mail, if you cannot roam on an "away" partner or your data is like a 2400 baud dial-up modem from the 90's, the service is useless.

It'll be interesting to see what happens but good food for thought would be if those using Freedom think it's fantastic, why is Shaw, who spent oodles of money buying the network and paying to improve upon the network infrastructure not attaching their name to it? I'm not complaining by any means but stating a fact that if it works for you, then fantastic but in the end, once Shaw is operational with their mobile division with Freedom as a sub-brand, do you think the Big-3 will cannibalize their wireless infrastructure so Shaw/Freedom can prevail? No, they'll price match and although some will say too little, too late, there's going to be a large percentage who will stick to the Big-3.

As stated, Freedom is good for many and I like to think it has contributed to pricing coming down somewhat as my plan I paid $145 monthly for, I now pay $85 for and that's a $60 savings which is great! The downfall is if you look at a standard plan with a tab, your savings isn't significant with Freedom over another carrier unless you consistently go over your data. Case in point:

Bell has a plan which offers unlimited Canada/USA calling with 14GB of data and a ultra premium tab with all calling features for $150 - consumer in-market rate plan.

Freedom has the $60 big gig + tax which gives unlimited Canada Wide calling, 2,400 USA minutes 13GB of data (10+3gb bonus) with 1GB of data roaming within Canada/USA with all calling features and with your tab, you're looking at $115.

The price difference is $35 monthly but the value added service is superior with the major carrier to that of Freedom not to mention, you get true features (not limited) with the major carrier to that of Freedom if outside of the zone. Not to mention, you have better national coverage so to me, that $35 is well worth the money. Unfortunately, Shaw needs to obtain money to enhance the network but IMO, they're charging premium pricing for paltry service and the coverage and network is not superior to that of the ever increasing prices.

I hope they succeed but I think that over time, if Shaw does not have a game plan to launch Shaw Mobile and their sub-brand Freedom Mobile to a point of national coverage, they will end up selling to one of the Big-3 and you will have an issue like you did with Clearnet/Microcell Solutions or depending on Industry Standards and changing of rules, maybe a US carrier will make a successful bid and it'll be a win-win for consumers.

For those who use Freedom, they have improved but I think nowadays, unlike in years past, Freedom is not making as much of an impact and you'll start seeing the brand die off if they don't step up their game.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I remember Globealive and the Wireless Soapbox. Many of us were part of that community and when they launched WIND they called out our names and gave us kudos for our support. I doubt there's that sense of community now.

Thanks for both your comments. I think our feelings are the same. I've only hung on for this long with this data plan just to see where things were going. I also took a bunch of lines to Public Mobile and now have a couple of $55 16GB plans on Koodo.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    I remember Globealive and the Wireless Soapbox. Many of us were part of that community and when they launched WIND they called out our names and gave us kudos for our support. I doubt there's that sense of community now.

Thanks for both your comments. I think our feelings are the same. I've only hung on for this long with this data plan just to see where things were going. I also took a bunch of lines to Public Mobile and now have a couple of $55 16GB plans on Koodo.
    I fully agree! Back during the initial stages, I think the Orascom Group of Companies had a vision but unfortunately, due to the Big-3, this was a wayward one. Canada, although there's a huge landmass to cover will and always will be an expensive hub not only for wireless but in general due to our lack thereof when it comes to Government and our social economy.

The Orascom Group is extremely wealthy and lets not forget, it was a banding together of the Big-3 which cried foreign ownership and caused all the road blocks and red tape to be generated. The result, lets focus on local ownership through Globalive (Anthony Lacavera) and give that a go. It was somewhat successful and I would assume this led to the changing of overall dynamics when it came to the quote unquote regulatory 911 fees and SAF; a cash grab if you ask me. I do agree with improvement upon services which can assist others but lets not kid ourselves, ECOMM and other emergency centers rely on tax dollars for funding, not the carriers so-called 911 fees. If the carriers did commit and provide this funding as such (which I'm sure they did), it was in form of a donation most likely which is a taxable benefit so it's a win-win.

When things seemed to be heating up, you saw the Big-3 adjust their pricing and when Verizon came into the picture, well... we all know the outcome! The Big-3 banded together like long lost relatives and created advertisement campaigns of collusion to trick the majority of Canadians who are not in the know or mobile enthusiasts. It worked but not due to marketing campaigns but instead, a retreat of a major USA telecom who thought the Canadian carriers were being big babies. Just like every other industry in Canada, the USA is no different regarding their interest in the wireless industry.

AT&T had an agreement with Cantel/Rogers back in the day, Verizon had interest in BCTel/Telus and before Verizon even showed interest in Globalive/WIND, AMPD Mobile gave it a go with a loose partnership with Telus although they claimed it was not a partnership but they were a "reseller" of service ... A reseller for an American telecom? Seems odd!

Nonetheless, the bottom line is Canada has a wireless industry with price-fixing at it's best and I cannot see this changing anytime soon; compared to what I've seen in world markets as it relates to wireless. Years ago, the European region was putting Canada to shame and still to this day, you haven't seen much change with Canadian wireless. A few dollars of savings but with inflation, really no change at all!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    ... now have a couple of $55 16GB plans on Koodo.
    I've had one line with Koodo since the summer, but so far I haven't gotten an offer for the $15 10GB data add-on. How were your couple of Koodo plans able to get this offer? Did those lines always go close to their monthly data allowance or did they use little data?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8 GB Data
    chatr: $60 Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    I've had one line with Koodo since the summer, but so far I haven't gotten an offer for the $15 10GB data add-on. How were your couple of Koodo plans able to get this offer? Did those lines always go close to their monthly data allowance or did they use little data?

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    It's a mixed bag. One line was low usage, the other was always hitting the limit. Who knows how Koodo decides who is offered the data add-on. I had the option to get another 6GB for $10 at Christmas. That would've been a 22GB plan for $65, or drop the extra 10GB option and make it a 12GB plan for $50.

Some people I know got the 8GB $40 transfer and was offered the $15 10GB addon, making it a killer 18GB plan for $55. And people I know worship their $60 10GB plan like it's the best thing in the world.

Around 13GB is about the most I've ever used even back WIND was truly unlimited and nobody bothered to throttle my N900. Those were the days. Got AWS towers all to myself most of the time.

BTW, whoever tried to PM me. I've cleared my mailbox.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    BTW, whoever tried to PM me. I've cleared my mailbox.
    Thanks so much for the response. I really appreciate it. I was going close to my monthly data limit, but didn't get a $15 10GB offer. So now I've tried lowering my data usage. I hope I eventually get the offer.

Ah, that was me that tried to PM you. I kept getting a generic 'Your message failed to send' type of message so I had to ask you here.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Blackberry KEYone, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sad that the OGs have moved on. I've tried WIND Mobile previously and now use Freedom as my main and only line since they're reliable enough for me. I don't experience the same missed calls as I used to but there are still some network issues here and there.

Not sure if the type of phone makes a difference but I use an iPhone X, BlackBerry Key2, and Freedom Mobile Sony Xperia XZ2. All work well and have had very few or minor issues.
    Freedom Mobile Promo Everywhere 50
    8gb LTE data/Canada & US Calling &Roaming/Global SMS/Call Display/Voicemail