Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Lycamobile ending prepaid (no plan option)?

Feedback Score
    After multiple back-and-forths I finally received an email from Lyca customer service confirming that all pay-as-you-go is ending May 15.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by branchingfactor View Post
    After multiple back-and-forths I finally received an email from Lyca customer service confirming that all pay-as-you-go is ending May 15.
    Thanks for that info. I have not even gotten a text (yet), been on paygo almost 5 years, balance just under $14 which I do not like losing but have to admit that I got my money’s worth here. I will probably wait until the 12th.

Found the PIN which luckily I wrote on the SIM card frame when I had to swap a while back for their 4G transition. Chat can reset your PIN if you can answer a bunch of questions about your line and activity.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    So Lyca can just confiscate your top up?

I normally keep these phones off and after booting them up I did not receive any messages, I'll leave them on and see if I get the text.

They should post a message to your account and they have my e-mail address and I get daily e-mails with Lyca offers, so this message should be sent there as well.

It's one thing if they are going out of business, but if they are simply discontinuing a service then they should be liable to refund the current account balance at the time of discontinuation.

One SIM only has 28c on it and I don't really care about that one, but the other has $11 and I should not have to forfeit it to Lyca for service not rendered and if this is the case, I'll just file an FCC complaint and see what happens.

Not sure how you get your money's worth if Lyca doesn't provide service for the money you paid them, no matter what?

Both my devices are GSM so Tello isn't an option.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks, months now a year+ TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers, especially BYOP.

Feedback Score
    Thee is still no proof this is not an empty threat or that they will "change their mind" at the last minute. It could easily be just a sales technique.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Thee is still no proof this is not an empty threat or that they will "change their mind" at the last minute. It could easily be just a sales technique.
    Well percentage wise there's not many times a company announces changes to their benefit & decide not to follow through.

LOL. I should have said, "Well don't hold your breath."
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I activated so long ago that I cannot recall the terms, and I don't keep a copy of them, though I guess I should since the cloud makes it easier these days.

If I had to guess why they would shut this down, it's perhaps taxes and 911 fees as it's usually three bucks a month per line on postpaid. Could also be accounting as that balance is a negative on their reports.

I am going to wait and see as Lyca US is one of the strangest creatures in the prepaid phone world. They always seem to have a right hand-left hand disconnect.

Still no text here yet either.

Feedback Score
    fwiw you can still recharge your pay as you go.

Feedback Score
    Does Lycamobile support VoLTE for PAYGO accounts? If not, it may explain why Lycamobile terminates these accounts. VoLTE is mandatory for T-Mobile network in all areas where TMO expanded after 2014 and "almost" mandatory everywhere in order to get acceptable reception/coverage/service.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That would be a pretty ballsy sales tactic and one to surely still scare people away.

And it's not like a used car... the cell network isn't going to be sold by the 'family who was so interested in that exact car 20 minutes ago'.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    That would be a pretty ballsy sales tactic and one to surely still scare people away.

And it's not like a used car... the cell network isn't going to be sold by the 'family who was so interested in that exact car 20 minutes ago'.
    The first sentence describes Lyca pretty accurately. They do not care about scaring away low-revenue PAYG subscribers - they never marketed to them anyway.

Think of the profit if they could scare one third of their by-the-minute subscribers into signing up for plans.

Then at the end they can just introduce another similar option or just say they changed their minds or they meant something else.

I cannot predict what they will do but I am just saying that I would not trust anything they say about the future and would leave actually moving off until they actually kick you off if possible. (I realize this might be a problem if worried about one's number)
    Last edited by comintel; 05-01-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    I can add to the confusion with an email reply I just received from Lycamobile. I had asked them to "confirm that you will no longer allow pay as you go service without a monthly plan."

The email reply suggests that PAYGO will continue, but we will be charged $1 per month. The message does not indicate that usage counts towards the $1, it appears there will be a $1 fee in addition to charges for calls.

Here's the email:

"Dear Customer,
    Accept our apologies for the delay involved in response.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    Further to your query, please be informed that if you not recharge any plan for month we will debit $1, if you use the service as pay as you go $1 will debit for month. To avoid $1 debit please recharge any plan for month.
    To avoid sim expiry please do any chargeable activity in 90 days. If not your sim card will be expired."

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Wow! Lycamobile doesn't know WHAT they are doing...or when!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The first sentence describes Lyca pretty accurately. They do not care about scaring away low-revenue PAYG subscribers - they never marketed to them anyway.

Think of the profit if they could scare one third of their by-the-minute subscribers into signing up for plans.

Then at the end they can just introduce another similar option or just say they changed their minds or they meant something else.

I cannot predict what they will do but I am just saying that I would not trust anything they say about the future and would leave actually moving off until they actually kick you off if possible. (I realize this might be a problem if worried about one's number)
    I'm curious why people would stay if this company does that? Does Lyca offer something I'm unaware of?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lineisbusy View Post
    I can add to the confusion with an email reply I just received from Lycamobile. I had asked them to "confirm that you will no longer allow pay as you go service without a monthly plan."

The email reply suggests that PAYGO will continue, but we will be charged $1 per month. The message does not indicate that usage counts towards the $1, it appears there will be a $1 fee in addition to charges for calls.

Here's the email:

"Dear Customer,
    Accept our apologies for the delay involved in response.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    Further to your query, please be informed that if you not recharge any plan for month we will debit $1, if you use the service as pay as you go $1 will debit for month. To avoid $1 debit please recharge any plan for month.
    To avoid sim expiry please do any chargeable activity in 90 days. If not your sim card will be expired."

Exactly as predicted, they will not kill it, just change it a little.
    I knew they would never just dump the customers.
    Last edited by comintel; 05-06-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    I'm curious why people would stay if this company does that? Does Lyca offer something I'm unaware of?
    All companies are like that under a thin veneer. Some disguise it. Lyca does not bother doing so.
    Last edited by comintel; 05-06-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast