Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: TF is notifying owners of old CDMA phones

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C/dog View Post
    Semi-related long story: I got the notification for my old cdma Samsung S4, so I bought a Tracfone iPhone 6s for $131 after their upgrade discount. Phone arrived and I activated it (transferred my service) using the red activation card (IMEI and SIM numbers). Phone worked great for one day and then stopped. Turns out they put someone else's IMEI on my activation card, but with the correct SIM. We figured it out after comparing all the numbers from card vs. actual phone.

TF then tells me I have zero balance and they have no record of my balance and the phone number is gone because of the mismatch -- and that I need to go purchase a new SIM because of MY error. I asked why since the activation card error was their fault. They said it was my fault for not double checking the activation card numbers, even though the TF website said to begin by using that activation card.

In the meantime, before the new SIM I ordered has even arrived, the iPhone started working again with a random phone number from a different STATE. I checked the balance using USAGE to 611611 and it shows 3 totally random balances not even close to what I had.

That's where I am at the moment, but I have no idea how to proceed once I get the new SIM. I wish I could start all over again. Whoever messed up my card must have scanned my IMEI onto someone else's activation card, too...so I don't know how that will play out.
    Forget all that crap they told u to do..just file a claim with BBB and within a day or 2 u will get an executive office response

Sent from my SM-N960U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    How did you activate the iPhone? using the online process, or calling TF, or using Chat? If you used Chat and saved the chat transcript, that would make your fight with TF easier.

You can try working with TF Executive Resolution (call their Miami Office and ask for that dept) to get thing sorted out. If it's not resolved to your satisfaction, open a case with the FCC and the Miami BBB. When those agencies rattle TF's cage (and they will), someone from TF will contact you to work out a solution. The more proofs you have, the stronger your case.
    Thanks for the advice. I activated using the website and have screenshots of the process, including my balances, and the "SUCCESS" at the end with confirmation number. The first step (with image of the red card) is "Enter your phone's IMEI/MEID/Serial Number here. You can find the IMEI/MEID/Serial Number on the red Activation card that came with the phone." Nowhere did it say I need to verify the activation card against the phone's IMEI. Obviously I will in the future, but I've never done it in the past with TF.

Mistakes are bound to happen once in a while, but to blame me for their error and defiantly refuse responsibility for the fallout caught me off guard. I've been a TF customer for 20 years but of course that means nothing to them.

Device(s)
    Samsung Convoy 2, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6 Plus, Greatcall Lively, Samsung Convoy 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Tracfone, Greatcall
    Feedback Score
    Guess, this thing is real....

I kept getting emails that a BYOD phone that I setup with Tracfone earlier this year... needed to be upgraded, and that they had special deals on such phones. But, I added this phone to my account where I've been using an identical model for several years now. And, for which I haven't received any notices or offers that that phone is about to stop working. So, I figured I was being scammed...the transistion last year into a senior living community continues to haunt me....robbed twice, and had my identity stolen, etc. So, pretty much ignore anything that sniffs like a scam now.

Of course, I found in the fine print (which doesn't have to be that fine given my vision loss) that the off is only available to one phone per customer.

Why they didn't say that in the offers??? Or include that they know about my other phone, but they're not making the same urgent appeal for me to upgrade my primary Tracfone by the end of the year.

The Dreamer.

Where are the cheap VoLTE Senior phones? Though is senior the right word....What've been using with Tracfone are Samsung Convoy 2's.
    You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post
    I kept getting emails that a BYOD phone that I setup with Tracfone earlier this year needed to be upgraded, and that they had special deals on such phones.

Of course, I found in the fine print that the offer is only available to one phone per customer.

Why they didn't say that in the offers??? Or include that they know about my other phone, but they're not making the same urgent appeal for me to upgrade my primary Tracfone by the end of the year.

Where are the cheap VoLTE Senior phones? Though is senior the right word....What've been using with Tracfone are Samsung Convoy 2's.
    This is the first case I've read about that TF made the offer to a BYOP phone. Is the SIM a true BYOP SIM or swapped in from a TF-branded phone?

TF is really under no legal obligation to offer a discount to upgrade your BYOP phone. For a TF-branded phone, they have an obligation because the phone was sold by them and it will be unusable next year. But they didn't sell you your BYOP phone. BTW, I'm not taking a "hard-line" stance here, just stating the fact.

Regarding replacement phones, do you want to stay with BYOP phones or go with TF-branded phones?

Feedback Score
    I received the offer to replace my BYOD Note 3. I went with the Galaxy J3 Orbit for $30 as it is a backup phone to use only when Verizon is the only signal.

Device(s)
    Samsung Convoy 2, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6 Plus, Greatcall Lively, Samsung Convoy 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Tracfone, Greatcall
    Feedback Score
    All of my basic phones that I setup with Tracfone are non-SIM former Verizon devices. The first was a prepaid verizon that I had used for a year, and then tossed into a drawer until I decided that I really needed to have a Verizon backup. Which I then lost, so switched that to my old postpaid iPhone 6 plus. But, decided I really needed to have a backup flip phone with service, and the KRZR K1 on T-Mobile that had been my 'work' phone wasn't cutting it. So, I got the Convoy 2's as C grade seller refurbs on ebay, I bought 3, and received 5. The first still works fine, but recently decided that I really needed to have a local number, without giving up any of my old phone numbers, so I activated another one of them earlier this year.

Which had me puzzled on why they sending me an offer to replace it....I recalled something about 2G going away, but hadn't heard that 3G was on the way out too. That's a pain, there's so may people with brand new 3G phones, that ... I even got a new one recently, from a crowd funded project I had forgotten about.... the project finally delivers and its obsolete.... though thought I heard T-mobile was keeping 2G 'til 2020.

Guess I'll find out what Verizon LTE coverage around here is like...my current phones are 3G, but I frequently see that they're in 2G mode...and ocassionally none...though it might be all due to impact of my concrete home.

Yet, I haven't heard anything about my AT&T Home Connect...not sure I really need it anymore now, had it as back up and for 911 back when I was first switching to VoIP. But, my tracfone's are pretty much my primary now, though I'll probably need to give in and slowdown my network to apply QoS to get my VoIP working reliably....on google fiber. At least I had gone with an Edgerouter 4, after my Edgerouter X was stolen.

Can't think of last time I had ever called 911 from a non-cellphone....probably back in my pre-cellphone days. Some day I'll get my HF station up again, and then I'll have my real backup to everything else.... (except I don't think I've yet to transmit from my own station yet... guess I need to break down and find/buy the perfect antenna...)

Meanwhile, I got a new phone off of eBay, though I'm confused by its setup instructions.... says something about needing to activate the SIM first and moved to the phone. Guess that means I need to buy another LTE phone online that I can activate first...

URGENT.

1. If you already have an activated nano sim, just swap the sim into this phone.

2. DO NOT TRY TO ACTIVATE NEW SIM and IMEI Together. ONLY ACTIVATE SIM Card. Once SIM is Activated, just insert in phone. Verizon does not need to know anything about the phone you plan in inserting it into period! JUST GET AN ALREADY ACTIVATED SIM. THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO DO.

These phones came through Verizon's liquidation. They were shelf pulls and they kept the SIM card. The original SIM card is tied to the phone. But once you have an active SIM and insert it into the phone, the hew SIM CARD WILL TIE ITSELF TO THE PHONE!!!! SIMPLE!!!

A restocking fee of up to 20% will be charged for returns for not following these instructions.
    Sounds like I just need to eat the phone and get something else altogether, or settle special LTE upgrade offer and get the Alcatel MyFlip for 19.99 (which Amazon is selling for 14.99)...or the reconditioned ZTE for 19.99. Neither have strong reviews...

I see there are listings on eBay include the 'instructions' in the listing...but they're also charging about 20% more than the one I bought on eBay....hmmm....

Guess the deal was so good that I should've passed on it.

Feedback Score
    Meanwhile, I got a new phone off of eBay, though I'm confused by its setup instructions.... says something about needing to activate the SIM first and moved to the phone. Guess that means I need to buy another LTE phone online that I can activate first...
    If the eBay phone will not activate on it's own, needing a SIM swap to operate, that is not a good indication. Activations on the Verizon network need to be done with a valid IMEI from a compatible phone.

This is all complicated by the activation requirement of using a VoLTE capable phone. All non-VoLTE phones will stop working end of the year, and you can't even activate them anymore. There have even been problems activating Verizon branded VoLTE capable phones on the MVNO services like Tracfone.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I recalled something about 2G going away, but hadn't heard that 3G was on the way out too.
    The 2G you heard about was probably AT&T a few years ago.

Verizon announced they were moving to LTE only a few years ago, and the 2020 deadline has been out at least 2 years. They haven't sold a smartphone that wasn't VoLTE capable in 4+ years. Not sure about "basic" phones, but they've have capable ones for a few years.

So, no. There are not a lot of brand new 3G phones on Verizon.

TF and other MVNOs sold 3G and non-VoLTE devices longer, but still 3zg only has bit been current foe a while, and VoLTE capable has been the norm for a year or more.

Feedback Score
    Ok I know this is not related to Tracfone but was on here reading about 3g and Verizon. I have an old ipad that has cellular service 3g is that going to stop working too? Will Verizon contact me. I was thinking about upgrading recently too. I was wondering if there is a forum for that Apple ipads cellular service thank you

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Remember that iPads work on Wifi even if they lack cellular service. Possible that they might offer some upgrade discount, but don't count on it.

If only 3G cellular is enabled on the device, without LTE/VOLTE enabled it will still be an active iPad after Verizon kills 3G.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This is somewhat related to this topic. Last month, Tracfone was selling on Ebay the refurbished Huawei Sensa. I and some other members of another forum bought it. We were able to activate it with TF/Verizon, but when we did some testing (trying to access online sites using Data during a phone call), the indication was that it does not have VoLTE. I also swapped in an active BYOP CDMA SIM that has VoLTE enabled, but got the same failure. This morning, I had the following chat with TF and the rep said it wouldn't need to be upgraded. So I don't know how it would work after 12/31/2019 without VoLTE.

Thank you for visiting Tracfone today. How may I help you?
    Rhea: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Rhea: How may I assist you?
    You: Good morning, Rhea. I recently bought and activated a Huawei Sensa phone. It doesn't have VoLTE. Will it continue to work of TF/Verizon after 12/31/19?
    Rhea: Before I will answer your question, is the phone from another provider or from TracFone?
    You: It's a refurbished Tracfone, sold by Tracfone directly on Ebay.
    Rhea: Provide me the IMEI of the phone first so I can check.
    You: 861 121 030 xxx xxx
    Rhea: There's no message indicated that the phone needs to be upgraded.
    Rhea: The phone is fine.
    You: OK. That's the only question I have today. Thanks for your help.
    Rhea: You are welcome.

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    So, do we have any idea yet what is happening with TracFone BYOP Verizon SIMs that were activated prior to VoLTE provisioning? I have 2 of these with TMFL SIMS active on my account. There SIMS are assigned to and in VoLTE-capable phones but last time I checked (a few months ago) VoLTE didn't work on one of the phones (haven't tried the other). Will TF be doing some kind of OTA re-provisioning for these SIMs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    This is somewhat related to this topic. Last month, Tracfone was selling on Ebay the refurbished Huawei Sensa. I and some other members of another forum bought it. We were able to activate it with TF/Verizon, but when we did some testing (trying to access online sites using Data during a phone call), the indication was that it does not have VoLTE. I also swapped in an active BYOP CDMA SIM that has VoLTE enabled, but got the same failure. This morning, I had the following chat with TF and the rep said it wouldn't need to be upgraded. So I don't know how it would work after 12/31/2019 without VoLTE.
    Possibility that Verizon may be backing off on the 3G shutdown dates. The fact you were able to activate it at all may be important, as activations of non VoLTE phones had been refused starting back in April.

or.....

Tracfone has mis-categorized the Sensa as being VoLTE capable.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The fact you were able to activate it at all may be important, as activations of non VoLTE phones had been refused starting back in April.

Or.....

Tracfone has mis-categorized the Sensa as being VoLTE capable.
    I guess someone can try activating a non-LTE phone now and see if it's accepted.

I think TF miscategorized the Sensa.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much. I think it is only 3 g. This ipad is old its either 1 or 2 generation I think it only has 3g but as usual clueless. I use it for traveling in car only as passenger on long trips. It is so old it doesn't even up grade anymore. I have other regular ipad but was thinking recently about upgrading to 4g one, will a 4g one work better and faster? as you can tell older and don't get all that. We have Tracfones with 4gLTE I have ATTone and husband has Vrz one neither works great here in woods on NH we use mostly away from house Oh Ipad doesn't even work now til I go over the boarder into MA? yet we have VRZ stores by us. For years we could not get VRZ Tracfone to work here but like in the last few month I can get a signal in house and it does kinda work. Well thanks so much. Guess its safest to just get a new ipad with 4g. Does my acct just get transfer to new ipad when I enter phone number? I have plan that cost $20 a month.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast