Thread: Best way to create a new number on top of plan?

Feedback Score

Best way to create a new number on top of plan?

What's the best way to create a new number on top of the plan? What I mean is PREPAID numbers for porting into koodo?

You need to port a number from another provider on top of the quebec plan because you can't switch to another province inside koodo's number change system. I used to use Virgin mobile prepaid cards for this (create a number at virgin, then port on top at koodo). However virgin has changed their system and now they are REQUIRING you to pay to register your prepaid number! This is beyond stupid - virgin was probably making a fortune off this.

Now I'm looking for an alternative way to source new numbers I can port over to koodo. Any suggestions?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Koodo prepaid.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo,TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Fido prepaid... get SIM card at Walmart ( they don’t charge for them)!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    both koodo prepaid and fido prepaid require registering a credit card and actually putting money on it. 10$ minimum for koodo. Fido i don't know exact amount but i assume it is the same - can someone confirm?

with virgin prepaid you could activate a number without paying anything except the initial sim card. now you need to get a minimum 5$ plan.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score

Best way to create a new number on top of plan?

Quote Originally Posted by kdguy1965 View Post
    both koodo prepaid and fido prepaid require registering a credit card and actually putting money on it. 10$ minimum for koodo. Fido i don't know exact amount but i assume it is the same - can someone confirm?

with virgin prepaid you could activate a number without paying anything except the initial sim card. now you need to get a minimum 5$ plan.
    In June of last year I got a Rogers Pay As You Go (prepaid) account. I selected the cheapest plan of $10, but I didn’t have to pay anything. If I remember correctly, when the Rogers website asked me to pay, I either went back a page or skipped to the next page.

My Rogers account was active with the $10 plan and no balance. I even called Customer Service and they confirmed this. They told me I had 30 days to top up my account or my Rogers account would be closed. I ported my number out before 30 days.
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8+9 GB Data
    chatr: Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    *VIRGIN*

Does not require any top up or credit card

Simply buy SIM ($5) activate it
    Then call customer service ask for account number to port
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    *VIRGIN*

Yeah, that's right. In June 2017 -- OMG, I'm getting a new cellphone plan every June, LOL -- I just bought a Virgin Mobile SIM card while on vacation in BC. I didn't have to top up my Virgin prepaid account back then. I called Customer Service and asked for my account number. They demanded to know why I wanted my account number. I told them the truth -- because I want to port my number out. They said OK that's a good reason. Phew! I ported my number just a few minutes later.

To save a buck, you can get $4 Virgin Mobile SIM cards at Dollorama:
    https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrie...rds-dollarama/

In June 2018, Rogers gave me a free SIM card because I've been a long-time Rogers Cable customer. So getting my Rogers Pay As You Go account set up cost me absolutely nothing.

Gee, the things we have to do to get OOP plans! Wink, wink.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    *VIRGIN*

Not true - try it. They've updated their system and require you to pay for a plan before the number is activated. Unless you are seeing something else

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kdguy1965 View Post
    ... They've updated their system and require you to pay for a plan before the number is activated...
    When I did this back in June 2017, I went into a Virgin Mobile store in downtown Vancouver because their website was so damn confusing. I remember it demanded my IMEI number and I wasn’t going to give it to them. (In the store they entered all 0s or all 1s, and that didn’t work so they changed the last few numbers and that finally worked.)

Anyway, from the start I told them I don’t want a damn BC plan because I’m from Ontario. They told me not to worry and activated my account without having me top up. I don’t know if it’s different for Virgin Mobile’s employees vs their website. Maybe it was different for me because I was from Ontario getting a Saskatchewan number but activating in British Columbia?

Anyway, if they could activate my SIM card in their store for me without having to top up, maybe they could do it for you too?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    In June of last year I got a Rogers Pay As You Go (prepaid) account. I selected the cheapest plan of $10, but I didn’t have to pay anything. If I remember correctly, when the Rogers website asked me to pay, I either went back a page or skipped to the next page.

My Rogers account was active with the $10 plan and no balance. I even called Customer Service and they confirmed this. They told me I had 30 days to top up my account or my Rogers account would be closed. I ported my number out before 30 days.
    Just tried. Rogers forces you to register a card now too. Unless someone else has a way around it.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Just as an FYI; if they really are enforcing this why not get a VOIP number to port?

$0.85 per number (30 days) and no balance required