Thread: Travel Pass Triggered by Incoming Call

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Travel Pass Triggered by Incoming Call

The Verizon website lists the following as the trigger for Travel Pass:

“When you arrive in a TravelPass country and turn on your device, you'll receive an international welcome text message. Your 24-hour access to TravelPass won't begin until you make a phone call, send a text or use data, including background data.”

I am in Mexico and have been here for a few days now. Before I left the States, I turned my data roaming off on my work phone since I have another carrier’s plan on my iPad and my personal phone that includes data so I’ve been hot spotting off those for my work phone. Over the past few days I’ve had no incoming calls or texts until today when a ROBO call came in (or so I presume since it had a similar number to mine and nobody else I know has a similar number).

I didn’t answer the call, or take any other action — I wasn’t even near the phone and didn’t know the call came in until I got a text saying my 24-hour Travel Pass would expire at a particular time tomorrow. Curious as to what triggered the pass, I noticed the missed call and the time exactly matches the expiration time.

I am not going to bother calling Verizon since I was going to start using data a bit later in the day since I have some business calls to make (its my work phone). I just left the data off over the weekend cause I’m funny about not spending company money when I probably shouldn’t, even though I know I’m in the minority in that regard since I was carrying a phone to be reachable for business.

So, what they have on the web site is NOT TRUE as I didn’t make an outgoing call, send a text or use any cellular data prior to the trigger. SO THIS IS A PSA that an incoming spam call would trigger a charge.

Device(s)
    iPhone X (Verizon), Pixel 2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Probably when your phone forwarded the incoming call to voicemail.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Likely, as t-Mobile charges me $0.25 per minute for roaming and unanswered calls that go to voicemail incur that charge. But Verizon’s language DOESN'T SUPPORT THAT NOTION.

In addition, before Travel Pass Verizon had not charged my personal lines for any such calls. We traveled intentionally once per year when we also had Verizon for our personal lines (probably a dozen or more trips) and never got charged for unanswered incoming calls that went to voicemail. Not being able to use our devices at a reasonable cost was one reason we left.

None of the carriers does an appropriate job of disclosing this, and for Verizon to trigger a $5 or $10 daily fee for SPAM calls is ridiculous (25 cents a call is bad enough on T-Mobile and Sprint), not to mention triggering Travel Passes for this is completely inconsistent with the language quoted above.

Also, should this be the case, shutting your phone off won’t stop this either since you’re registered on the last carrier you were on for call delivery until you register on a new carrier. So until my phone hits the US again, a new pass would be triggered by an incoming call the next day regardless of whether my phone is even on, since it has registered on the cell network in Mexico.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Pull the SIM out. That's what I do, while I am in the plane... Insert the local SIM and enjoy cheap data for calls with Google Voice, WhatsApp or Skype.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by technoevil View Post
    Probably when your phone forwarded the incoming call to voicemail.
    does the phone forward the incoming call to voicemail? i dont think that is how technology works...

also, if i dont want a travel pass, i turn on airplane mode. wifi calling and texting should still work via wifi with airplane mode on.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    does the phone forward the incoming call to voicemail? i dont think that is how technology works...

also, if i dont want a travel pass, i turn on airplane mode. wifi calling and texting should still work via wifi with airplane mode on.
    I think that, at least in the past, voicemail decisions could partially be determined by the last tower the phone was connected to.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I think that, at least in the past, voicemail decisions could partially be determined by the last tower the phone was connected to.
    I am not a technology expert in this field. All I know from using various telephony solutions is they tend to forward to voicemail if there is no answer. Phones dont typically forward calls to voicemail themselves, its typically the system not getting an answer in a certain amount of time / rings.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree the phone doesn’t forward it, but the network does. When you turn on your phone your phone registers on the network, which is what used to cause Verizon to send you the “Welcome to <country>” test message.

So the call is technically forwarded to voicemail from that country, which they seem to be considering an outgoing call for this purpose.

It’s just bothersome to me that 1) this isn’t disclosed, and 2) that they charge the full Travel Pass rate for this. It used to be no charge for the unanswered call going to VM.

If I wasn’t going to use my Travel Pass, I might turn roaming data off (as I did the first part of the trip) and keep the phone on for emergencies only.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    From the Verizon Wireless website on Travel Pass
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...avelpass-faqs/
    You're only charged for the days that you use your device in a TravelPass country. A 24-hour TravelPass session starts automatically when you make or receive a phone call, send a text or use data.

If your device has cellular data or data roaming turned on, a TravelPass session can be started by background data, including:

App content refreshing (e.g., Weather apps, Fitness Tracker)
    Syncing (e.g., email)
    Device or app software updates

2 hours after the session starts we send you a text letting you know when your 24-hour TravelPass session ends. Using your device after that session starts a new session.
    -------------------------------------------

Once you receive the call, whether it goes to voicemail or not the Travel Pass is activated.
    The fact that it went to voicemail isn't relevant at this point because you "used" the phone for the incoming call.
    It used to far worse with Cingular when I was near the Mexican border while still in the USA, I got charged for the incoming and the outgoing call to my voicemail box.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I guess it depends on whether, by receive, it means you answered the call or not.

Safest to either disable roaming or go into airplane mode if want to avoid risk.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It seems like wireless phone carriers will do anything to make a buck. If your phone is on in an international country and you receive a phone call it counts against you even if you let it go to voicemail. The only way to avoid it is to keep your phone off.
    Last edited by idavenport90; 05-03-2019 at 08:13 PM.