Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about hot spot use , Im on Straight talk using AT&T towers.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question about hot spot use , Im on Straight talk using AT&T towers.

Im doing a test to see if I want to switch to straight talk. I have a blackberry os10 Im using as a test phone to see if straight talk will work for us. So far so good and I can turn on the hot spot on the blackberry.
    I put the sim in my AT&T iPhone and I cant turn on the hot spot
    Does anyone know of any phones that the hot spot works while on straight talk ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    hotspot use is supposed to be prohibited on straight talk see #7 - https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...and-conditions it may work on some phones out of the box or you could root your phone and edit the prop file.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question about hot spot use , Im on Straight talk using AT&T towers.

I called straight talk and they said they dont offer hot spot use as an option but if it works you can use it thats what the lady said

So does anyone know of any particular brand of phone that the hot spot works on straight talk??

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo583 View Post
    So does anyone know of any particular brand of phone that the hot spot works on straight talk??
    There are many hot spot capable phones now, so I would say it depends more on which carrier you are using. I have it working with a BYOP TracFone on Verizon and a TF branded phone on T-Mobile. AT&T may not allow it, just as they don't for other advanced features on the MVNOs.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 04-24-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I called straight talk and they said they dont offer hot spot use as an option but if it works you can use it thats what the lady said

I don't personally know about Straight Talk.

In general, ones that do not check with the carrier for entitlement when the hotspot app is started. That should include the Moto E and G series of unlocked, carrier unbranded, carrier agnostic phones. My Moto G6 works with Tracfone-Verizon.

Some phones will work with helper apps. My AT&T Prepaid branded LG Phoenix 2 works with the Settings Database Editor app on Tracfone-AT&T.

Some phones will work with PDANet/FoxFi. Check their list of supported phones.

A rooted phone may work with the Wifi Tether Router app.

It is a waste of time to try the non-root tether apps in the Play Store. None of those work anymore with phones from the past few years. BTDT.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I don't personally know about Straight Talk.

In general, ones that do not check with the carrier for entitlement when the hotspot app is started. That should include the Moto E and G series of unlocked, carrier unbranded, carrier agnostic phones. My Moto G6 works with Tracfone-Verizon.

Some phones will work with helper apps. My AT&T Prepaid branded LG Phoenix 2 works with the Settings Database Editor app on Tracfone-AT&T.

Some phones will work with PDANet/FoxFi. Check their list of supported phones.

A rooted phone may work with the Wifi Tether Router app.

It is a waste of time to try the non-root tether apps in the Play Store. None of those work anymore with phones from the past few years. BTDT.

Good luck
    Thanks for the information

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That is interesting. If you read the comment section at this website https://smartphonematters.com/using-...straight-talk/ , it seems that Straight Talk is monitoring tethering and may disable it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The way I interpreted their terms of service
    It doesnt say anything specific about that you cant use the hot spot. It says you cant use youre service for a continuous non stop data connection and same with the phone calls

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    (vi) any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    For the heck of it, I bought a Straight Talk starter kit today. $35 for 3GB deal just to give it a test drive. I have a Verizon Unlocked iPhone X so it should have pretty much all bands for any of the major carriers.

I'm hearing that ToS shows Mobile Hotspot not allowed, but plenty of accounts that it works - some saying that they got disabled for using it.

Does it matter which network I pick if I want to use Hotspot every once and again, or is ST still Kafka over the whole thing? I actually have an Alcatel T-Mobile locked/branded hotspot device in my drawer that I thought of trying the card in once I had service set up but if it's such a huge deal that sounds like a big fat no-no. Opinions?

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    For the heck of it, I bought a Straight Talk starter kit today. $35 for 3GB deal just to give it a test drive. I have a Verizon Unlocked iPhone X so it should have pretty much all bands for any of the major carriers. I'm hearing that ToS shows Mobile Hotspot not allowed, but plenty of accounts that it works - some saying that they got disabled for using it. Does it matter which network I pick if I want to use Hotspot every once and again, or is ST still Kafka over the whole thing? I actually have an Alcatel T-Mobile locked/branded hotspot device in my drawer that I thought of trying the card in once I had service set up but if it's such a huge deal that sounds like a big fat no-no. Opinions? --Kidd
    if hotspot works then go ahead and use it. the worst straight talk could do is shut your service off.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    if hotspot works then go ahead and use it. the worst straight talk could do is shut your service off.
    So I activated my SIM on T-Mobile with Straight Talk last night - the Personal Hotspot option appears to be available from my iPhone X's settings - and I happen to know this option doesn't appear unless something carrier side allows it specifically.

I'm guessing they will allow it on devices that are friendly to the carrier by doing it this way. Here's my rationale: If I understand correctly, the Personal Hotspot registers with a separate APN so it's usage can be tracked and/or appropriately prioritized down so that's not EXACTLY the same as a device running software which masquerades as a hotspot. By making a separate APN connection, it's not trying to pass off hotspot activity as smartphone activity. If all of that is fair, I can see how the carriers could be acceptable to this.

But mostly I'm posting for the benefit of others that if you're looking for personal hotspot then try the T-Mobile network if your device and coverage supports them...

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ... Does anyone know of any phones that the hot spot works while on straight talk ??
    To OP - I'm showing Personal Hotspot on a "naturally unlocked" Verizon Wireless iPhone X.

--Kidd

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    To OP - I'm showing Personal Hotspot on a "naturally unlocked" Verizon Wireless iPhone X.
    I was also able to successfully activated the Mobile Hotspot function using a naturally unlocked Verizon Wireless Blackberry Classic (Q20). The speed was extremely slow. It might be a branding issue though. Im going to research some more and see if I can find out why.

Kidd

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Okay - I started doing heavier tests and the hotspot thing appears to be DoA.. On both the iPhone and Blackberry, hotspot connects and starts and a device can connect and transfer data for about 15 seconds and then it just stops transferring anything. Everything times out. The Blackberry has data meters and the amount received stops going up, only sent goes up. The hotspot APN must be blocking by a policy rule. This is the same from two different cities in KY. From the phone itself, speeds are great. Bummer. Oh well..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast