Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IMEI "Not eligible"?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    It works fine between T-Mobile and Mint Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the same carrier. That is not a change of carrier.

If you have an AT&T sim or Verizon sim, could you try sticking it in the phone and see what happens?

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well it didn’t work until I unlocked it.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    maybe the phone can be already used on AT&T T- mobile & Verizon and not sprint ?? there are some phones that are like that.
    That’s what I was thinking but Comintel seems petty certain. I might walk by Cricket and test it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That’s what I was thinking but Comintel seems petty certain. I might walk by Cricket and test it.

That would actually be very interesting because Cricket does probably sell S10 so their sim would likely be recognized.

You could well be right - I just want to understand what is definite.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    That would actually be very interesting because Cricket does probably sell S10 so their sim would likely be recognized.

All the stuff you’re describing sounds like cdma. Unlocked LTE devices just work. No PRL or updates required.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

To be clear the Sprint SIM was recognized phone said Sprint etc but I could activate the IMEI to get on the network. I don’t know much about cdma so maybe there’s something to what you said but I bed it doesn’t affect Att or Tmo as there’s no “Samsung update” required.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    All the stuff you’re describing sounds like cdma. Unlocked LTE devices just work. No PRL or updates required.

I agree BUT Samsung has what it calls BYOD Experience https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078492/
    which has been released for S8 and S9 but not yet S10. That will be the official way to move branded phones between carriers with 100% feature availability, right down to the logos and unique services of each carrier.

It should be released for S10 around October.

When that happens, you WILL be able to move branded phones freely between all carriers (as you can now for S8 and S9).

You cannot move branded phones to Sprint until then.

But maybe you can move them between other carriers (but not yet to Sprint) in an interim half-baked way in the meanwhile, that just sort of happens to mostly work without making all bands and features available on all carriers.

Last edited by comintel; 04-27-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There’s nothing half baked on LTE if it works it works. You’re clearly coming from a CDMA perspective where the carrier has far more control.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I’m curious as that link is several years old and hasn’t been updated what leads you to believe that it’s still in effect?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    There’s nothing half baked on LTE if it works it works. You’re clearly coming from a CDMA perspective where the carrier has far more control.

Without the not-yet-released-for-S10 Samsung BYOD brand-switching update, I doubt a TMO model would support all of AT&T VoLTE and Wifi Calling and VisualVoicemail, for example.

To that extent it would be half-baked.

Once BYOD brand-switching is released late this year, everything will work perfectly on all carriers regardless of the original brand of the phone, including all relevant bands. Sprint will wait for that. If others allow other carrier S10's on before then, that's their choice, but probably not all features will work and some of their bands may not be there.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

IMEI "Not eligible"?

Without the not-yet-released-for-S10 Samsung BYOD brand-switching update, I doubt a TMO model would support all of AT&T VoLTE and Wifi Calling and VisualVoicemail, for example.

To that extent it would be half-baked.

Once BYOD brand-switching is released late this year, everything will work perfectly on all carriers regardless of the original brand of the phone, including all relevant bands. Sprint will wait for that. If others allow other carrier S10's on before then, that's their choice, but probably not all features will work and some of their bands may not be there.
    Why do you think that still exist? FWIW my phone is no branding. I don’t think they do that anymore.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Why do you think that still exist? FWIW my phone is no branding. I don’t think they do that anymore.

Well as you know they are all the same hardware.

But the carriers want to be able to have custom features for marketing.
    And quite frankly to be able to lock their users into their handsets as long as possible.
    They have to officially unlock them now within a couple of months, but they have this unofficial way of keeping the users locked in longer. It is really a scandal.

Apple had the clout to (mostly) prevent that, but Samsung does not quite yet.

The carriers are also competing with Samsung's unbranded factory-unlocked model with the U1 suffix on the end. They do not want Samsung to sell the unbranded model in high volume directly to consumers at BestBuy. But it is heading in that direction. BestBuy in a few test stores is starting experiments to remove the carrier sections and mainly sell the unbranded models of both iPhones and Samsungs.

In iPhones, the unbranded factory-unlocked model has all features on all carriers. This is not true for Samsung. The factory-unlocked model lacks some features on some carriers.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-28-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2