Thread: Ting Moto G7 on Sprint?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question Ting Moto G7 on Sprint?

I have Sprint service, but I also use Ting for my kid's phone he takes to school. Ting uses Sprint's CDMA network, or T-Mobile's GSM depending on your choice and phone. I was on Ting's website, and I saw they have the New Moto G7 for sale. Now the thing is, there model is both CDMA and GSM compatible. I found out the model is XT-1962-1 which has the appropriate bands for Sprint (since you could use it on Ting with Sprint towers) but do you think I could add it to a Sprint account? Or would it be relegated to the wasteland of MVNO, like Boost phones?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks, but I want to know if the Ting phone can be added to Sprint's database. I don't want to buy one, only to find the IMEI can't be added.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by oZo View Post
    Thanks, but I want to know if the Ting phone can be added to Sprint's database. I don't want to buy one, only to find the IMEI can't be added.
    It looks like a Ting phone can be added to Sprint's database with some manual intervention by Ting. Why bother with that? You can get an unlocked G7 at the same price Ting is selling them.

The G7 is not much of an improvement over the G6. You can get a G6 for about $160.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It looks like a Ting phone can be added to Sprint's database with some manual intervention by Ting. Why bother with that? You can get an unlocked G7 at the same price Ting is selling them.

The G7 is not much of an improvement over the G6. You can get a G6 for about $160.
    The dual network is the reason. I have Sprint, but I may drop it soon (been saying that a long time!). The G7 has Pie from the get-go, and that's nice. Good middle-of-the-road phone.
    I would buy it for less elsewhere ($249), if I could confirm that it can be added to Sprint's database... how does Ting intervene?
    Oh, and all Ting Dual network phones are already unlocked (from what I read on their site).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The dual network is the reason. I have Sprint, but I may drop it soon (been saying that a long time!). The G7 has Pie from the get-go, and that's nice. Good middle-of-the-road phone.
    I would buy it for less elsewhere ($249), if I could confirm that it can be added to Sprint's database... how does Ting intervene?
    Oh, and all Ting Dual network phones are already unlocked (from what I read on their site).
    The generic, unlocked G7 is ready to activate on any of the four major networks with the applicable SIM. There is no special-sauce to phones sold by Ting. Ting dual network does not switch between Sprint and T-Mobile that I have heard of. You use one or the other.

Sprint is a special case (and pretty stupid). Where you can run into problems is using a phone on a Sprint MVNO like Ting and then trying to move to Sprint proper, or another Sprint MVNO. The phone has to be released from the service before it will activate on another Sprint service. Ting has a good reputation for taking care of the release - some others, not so much.

Even if a phone on Sprint or MVNO is not released it will still work on the other carriers. The other carriers don't give a flying fig about Sprint's stupid ESN-ICCID-phone number lock. They don't share a database about that.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The generic, unlocked G7 is ready to activate on any of the four major networks with the applicable SIM. There is no special-sauce to phones sold by Ting. Ting dual network does not switch between Sprint and T-Mobile that I have heard of. You use one or the other.
    Yes, I understand about one or the other. I'm simply concerned about adding it to Sprint's database. By your comments I gather you believe it can be added. I was referencing Boost phones because as we know, they are essentially Sprint capable phones that are not allowed on Sprint.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, I understand about one or the other. I'm simply concerned about adding it to Sprint's database. By your comments I gather you believe it can be added. I was referencing Boost phones because as we know, they are essentially Sprint capable phones that are not allowed on Sprint.
    Thanks.
    A carrier unbranded, unlocked G7 is already in the Sprint database as eligible for activation. If it is used on a Sprint MVNO is just has to be released from that service. IIRC, it is called being pushed to retail.

Yes, there are a different set of rules for phones originally sold by Sprint prepaid brands - Boost, Virgin, Sprint Prepaid. Last I heard, they need to be used on paid service for 12 continuous months on the prepaid brand before they can be released to use on Sprint or Sprint MVNO.

In case you don't know, the Sprint "SIM" does not need to be changed when changing service providers. Also, when a Sprint "SIM" and phone have active service the SIM will not work in a different phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    When a phone is on one of Sprint's MVNO (Google Fi, Ting, Tello etc), there is a flag which is set to PLBL. This has to be set to SPCS for the phone to be used in Sprint.

For e.g. I moved my Google Pixel that was working on Sprint to Google Fi. This was so that I could use the phone abroad as Google Fi data works almost everywhere in the world at the same cost as in US $10 per GB. This transition had no issue and I could pop in the Google Fi SIM and use it. I had to cancel the Sprint plan for Google Fi to use Sprint network in US.

When I came back from abroad I wanted to use the phone back again on Sprint. I cancelled my Google Fi plan and tried to use the same phone that I had used earlier in Sprint again. It would not work and gave me error that my phone has some finance still owed. Then, I had to ask Google to change the flag to SPCS before I could use the phone again with Sprint.

I think that's what bobdevnul is referring to above.